Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I keep reading about tire troubles while Rving. I have been Rving since 2002 and have had more tire trouble in the last four years than the forty years before RVing. I had a blow out on the truck in Myrtle Beach, bad value stem on new truck on the first trip with the fiver. I had one tire split and the replacement get a bluge on the side wall this on the fiver. I also had two blow outs on the fiver. I check my air pressure before each trip. I am getting new tires soon for the fiver as I don't trust them anymore.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I keep reading about tire troubles while Rving. I have been Rving since 2002 and have had more tire trouble in the last four years than the forty years before RVing. I had a blow out on the truck in Myrtle Beach, bad value stem on new truck on the first trip with the fiver. I had one tire split and the replacement get a bluge on the side wall this on the fiver. I also had two blow outs on the fiver. I check my air pressure before each trip. I am getting new tires soon for the fiver as I don't trust them anymore.
Tom
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
The answer should be no, but with the quality of everything going downhill, the tires that we get on our RV's are now made in another country and the quality is not like it used to be. It's like this in everything we buy anymore. Quality used to be something we took for granted but anymore everything we buy is not up to the quality we used to expect and is getting worse. As long as the dollar is the bottom line, I don't expect it to get any better any time soon.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #4

I cannot remember of having a bad tire in years. As for flats, the wife caught a big nail on the VW about a year ago but that was not the fault of the tire. Our fifth wheel had at least 15,000 miles before changing the original tires in 2005 with almost 7 years of use and reason for changing was AGE.

I'm curious as to the air pressure you keep on your Arctic Fox and Chevy Duramax, wondering if that could be a possible problem.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Overall, I have less trouble now (disabling defects) than years ago. Now, I seem to have more problems with out of round, balancing and correct mounting.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #6

Sounds like you need to visit some scales. You'd be surprised how fast weight can add up. The bubble in the sidewall is usually from hitting a curb or a pothole.

An RV is just naturally bad on tires. The are asked to sit loaded for some time, then we get an urge, hook up and take off flying. I always make it a point to drive about 20 or 30 for the first mile, then gradually step it up till I get up to speed.

Tandems that are cut too sharp into that perfect spot can also be a cause of later failure that people don't think about.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #7

Since 1989 with 1 travel trailer, 2 5th wheels, and 2 motorhomes, We have only had 1 flat/blow out. That was in 2001 on the truck while towing the travel trailer. But I hit a large piece of metal on the highway that cut the tire, so it was not the tires fault.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Check down in the TT and 5th Wheel forums. Many (if not most) of our 5th wheels are operating at 90% or better of the axle/tire load ratings, so there's not a lot of margin there. Some brands and/or models of tires have been very failure-prone, and others have proven themselves to be extremely reliable with proper inflation and maintenance.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #9

I have only had one tire fail in the last 2 trailers I have had.The tire failed on my past trailer from age.The trailer I have now has not had any tire failures in 9 years.
RichR
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #10

Wow, I've driven for almost 50 years, towed numerous travel trailers, and two 5th wheelers and have yet to have a flat tire or tire failure. I do, however, make sure I don't over-load my vehicles or trailers. I also check inflations before each trip, and routinely change tires every 7-8 years, or when tires are worn down irregardless of the mileage. I also buy nothing but premium tires.
I can't imagine what, if anything, you may be doing wrong.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

Richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Hadn't had a flat or serious leak since beginning my RV chapter four years ago. Purchased a new set of tires for the Dynasty and had two leak downs in one week. The squids who mounted them neglected to tighten the valve stem extensions.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #12

When my DW and I first bought our first camper back in 2000 I had 3 blow outs in the first 3000 miles After buying new ones I was browsing through warrentee inf and saw that the manufactuer had a pretty fair warrentee So the next day I called them and they rembused me the price of the tires that blew. I put new Goodyears on it and had them balanced It was the last set I had to buy as I bought a new TT last spring We put almost 10000 miles on them and they still looked great Lots of good traed left I don't know if it was the Goodyears or the balancing but whatever it was I now recomend both to other campers when the subject comes up Also air pressure has to become a habit that one must not forget Have fun

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have been lucky not to have had any damage due to blowouts. I have seen where some of our friends have had some damage one was very severe. Before we start Rving this year I am getting a set of Michelin RSP RIBS and hope this takes care of the problem.