Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This works

I found wondering the campgrounds with my hat held out and a quick black marker statement on my forehead puts gas in the tank
Attached Images

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #30

Yeah, thur bums alright!

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post

Who cares about labels, just think what the majority of the population are missing out on and we're embracing

Vagrant, Homeless, call me what you want but don't call me late for supper
X2 ,
I think Michelle should be more worried about why this silly comment bothered her so much. When you choose a non-conventional lifestyle, you should expect dumb comments from uninformed conventional masses. As long as you're happy with your choice, who cares what some uninformed stranger calls it. as the rhyme goes, sticks & stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #32

Well, Jim2, the comment baffled me more than "bothered" me. It doesn't make sense given its definition. If it does bother me any, it's because I don't like to be "labeled" and especially by labels that aren't even close to being correct. Regardless, I realize people that don't live it don't "get it", and I just kind of rolled my eyes and moved along. I came here to ask if anyone else has heard it used and it seems not many have. If I really cared, I would ask the guy where he heard it used.

So, nah, I'm not really worried about his comment or why it baffles me.
MichelleOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #33

We are not full timers, and probably will never be because of all our grandkids ect. But we have only had this MH 6 months and have put about 6,000 miles on it, and we are planning a couple more 3-4 week trips before the holidays get here...so we do use it regulary. But I too get sick if people asking either how we justify the gas expense, or the actual MH expense itself. I've already told a couple of people I don't need to justify anything to anybody(except my Wife of course) and certainly not to them. I worked hard for many years, saved my money, retired, and now get to do whatever we want as we are financially prudent and like this lifestyle. It has always been my dream to see every State in the United States and that is our plan. So i really don't care what those who ask think.

As a side note, every trip we have taken, the gas has been pretty much a wash, as there is no need to get a hotel/eat out all the time, we get to sleep in our own bed, and enjoy the great outdoors...there I go justifying
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
By golly, I had not considered the "begging" part yet. Novel thought. I may try that at truck stops while refueling my Prevost bus conversion.
What da ya say we get the band back together...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, legally we are classed as "Homeless" but yes, "Homeless" is often treated the same as "Vagrant" even if we do not meet the 3 part test (We do not ask (Beg) for money).

Our government is kind of anti-Full Time cause they like to know where we are.... Epically in cases such as mine (Ham Radio Operator, = Emergency Communications Officer).

THUS, they pass laws which basically call us names.

Do I agree with that practice.... Well.. i'm a full timer so I feel we need to have our own Senator and Representative and our own "State" as it were. Perhaps we could call it the "Great State of Confusion" (Ok, that is a joke) It really is "The Great State of FREEDOM"
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
It really is "The Great State of FREEDOM"
Attached Images

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It took Karen at Alternative Resources about 40 minutes on the phone to walk me through the paperwork to transfer titles and Registration to the MH and CRV. It was less time than that with them on the phone to fill out the papers to get the mailbox set up. When we fly up there in October - our plates and Registration will be there. We will get our Drivers License switched out - stay a night or two in a hotel and leave as registered voters, with insurance, DLs, plates and be legal residents of SD.

I don't feel homeless - like a vagrant - or any different than anyone else or I ever did. I have moved to several states in my life - 4 in all. South Dakota has actually been nicer, more helpful, and welcoming than any of them.

It does take some time - research and money to do it this way - but for us - it's the right way to do it.

As far as the government wanting to keep up with us - they should make this process - easy - affordable and required. Like getting a passport. They don't keep up with your address - just your entries and exits. Since they don't - I don't buy that are making laws to keep up with us. Use a credit card. Visit a bank or doctor. Use a cell phone. Receive a piece of mail. Get a government check. They know where ya are with as much certainty as when your on vacation and away from the stick and brick. It's probably as much our insistence on the perception of freedom that keeps them from making full time RVer a "residency class" as anything else.

Just my opinion of course - but when you see how relatively easy and inexpensive it is to become a Resident of SD - and I assume and Escapee - or FL resident - it's hard to imagine why all states don't do it.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see where the government keeping track of you has anything to do with it. Vagrancy laws were/are just a convenient way to get rid of drifters who [potentially] cause trouble and sponge off the local economy. If you've got money to spend and look even halfway presentable, every state and community will welcome you with open arms. Even though they insist that you stay in a designated RV park instead of the Walmart.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man, I'm 73 and would I love to be on the road for more time than a week or two at a time,the youngest GD,who lives here in town, announces that she's pregnant and is gonna be needing a grandma babysitter a couple of days a week. Hey,I like grandkids as much as the next person,but I was really looking forward to some month or two trips.
Oh well,I've got two acres to keep me busy on.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #40

Bigdog, we feel your pain, we love our grandkids and couldn't be without them, but we have babysat all three of them, one 5 year old and two 2 year olds(two weeks apart) since they were two months old. Now that we have the MH the kids think we have to ask them for "vacation time"..."well in advance" if we are going somewhere so they can make other arrangements. Both of us retired so we could travel the country at will in the MH and be gone for several weeks at a time. Oh well I guess we created the monster....
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^^ One of the great philosophers of our time said...

http://youtu.be/gU5iLiEySyk

And another said... Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans...
Old 09-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
LOL!! I never thought of ourselves as vagrants. We are fters, have a home address in our daughters back yard when needed. We work summers at KOA's, and the rest of the year, we roam the country. Regardless, I don't care what people say about us, we are happy with our life and will continue to travel.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote