Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Are FTers really considered "vagrants"?

I was on a hobby forum and mentioned that we want to FT eventually. It came up that FTers are called "vagrants"? Is that correct? If so, does anyone have a problem with it? I sure do.

From Merriam-Webster:

1va·grant noun \ˈvā-grənt\
: a person who has no place to live and no job and who asks people for money
MichelleOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleOH View Post
I was on a hobby forum and mentioned that we want to FT eventually. It came up that FTers are called "vagrants"? Is that correct? If so, does anyone have a problem with it? I sure do.

From Merriam-Webster:

1va·grant noun \ˈvā-grənt\
: a person who has no place to live and no job and who asks people for money
Hmmmmm I guess that the "hobby" folks don't have a clue what a FTer is. Most here have a place to live...their RV. Some have a job and do work camping or use their RV to run an online business or possibly a travel blog. While it's true some don't have a job, but that's pretty much because they are RETIRED! Never had anyone here ask me for money....don't have any extra after the kids got done with me...

Certainly would like to know who these elitists are?

JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Hmmmmm I guess that the "hobby" folks don't have a clue what a FTer is. Most here have a place to live...their RV. Some have a job and do work camping or use their RV to run an online business or possibly a travel blog. While it's true some don't have a job, but that's pretty much because they are RETIRED! Never had anyone here ask me for money....don't have any extra after the kids got done with me...

Certainly would like to know who these elitists are?

JMHO
Interesting...not full-timers yet (hope to be by Jan 2016) but my wife and I have been in the planning stages since 2004 and I have never seen that term applied to full-timers before. But other than here (only recently) and Escapees since 2004, a recumbent website is the only other forum I have ever mentioned full-timing so evidently my not hearing it must be related to "the crowd I hang out with."
Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Sorry, my fault for not being very clear… they didn't call full timers vagrants, but one said that he had heard the term used and asked how we got around not having a permanent address. It was more curiosity thing from him than using the term himself but I found it interesting that he had heard it somewhere.

They aren't elitists.
MichelleOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Maybe they are just JEALOUS of the life style of FTers.
I for one could give 3 cents what others think about me running around this GREAT COUNTRY, we have. I have been asked, How the heck I can justify the fuel cost? I am almost to the point of being a little rude and telling people THAT ITS NOT ANY OF THERE BUSINESS. I don't have to justify to anyone my choice of life style. If I were to become a FTer, then I will become an FTer. So I guess I better get off the soap box. Just tell them, YES YOU ARE, AND YOU ARE LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. And their jealous talk does not bother you one bit.
Now go be a HAPPY FTer. Maybe someday I will see ya on the road. And I will shake your hand and tell you I am JEALOUS THAT YOU ARE A VAGRANT.
Safe Travels
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleOH View Post
Sorry, my fault for not being very clear… they didn't call full timers vagrants, but one said that he had heard the term used and asked how we got around not having a permanent address. It was more curiosity thing from him than using the term himself but I found it interesting that he had heard it somewhere.

They aren't elitists.
Most full timers do have a permanent address: a Mail Forwarding service, a relative or close friend or whatever. When we went to get our South Dakota drivers licenses the clerk looked at the address (America's Mailbox) and said "Oh, you're nomads. How exciting!". Webster's defines Nomad as: "a member of a group of people who move from place to place instead of living in one place all the time"

I can relate to that term for a full timer.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
I think my husband would love to be a FT but I love to garden and can not imagine not gardening
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #8

Some of these vagrants own an RV that cost as much or more than the house some people live in. Nomad--OK, Homeless-- I can deal with. (Not really homeless--just houseless.) But I am not a vagrant.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Some of these vagrants own an RV that cost as much or more than the house some people live in.
That was my first thought on reading this thread. I find it difficult to consider someone living in a multi hundred thousand motor home as a vagrant.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Oh yes, interesting, my DW is a cat farmer, or collects cats from all over, she buys 80 lb cat chow weekly plus the vet bills. This prevents her from traveling with me, so I go out for 1-3 weeks at a time, am 72 run my employees & business from cell & email. Spent 40+ yrs building the business, its now time to kick back and enjoy, so I do.
The biggie for us, no debt, no mortgage so it does not take a big number $$ to live. Tax load is >$50,000, so keeping the business going is good. Keeps me out of the cat loop.
We all have our load to carry ! So enjoy while you can.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So lets first take a look at the definition of a Vagrant.

Vagrant - a person without a settled home or regular work who wanders from place to place and lives by begging.

I am very confident in saying folks that own RV's are not qualified as Vagrants.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

By golly, I had not considered the "begging" part yet. Novel thought. I may try that at truck stops while refueling my Prevost bus conversion.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, not really heard that term before...and never had to beg, at least not so far.

Like others, I prefer the term "nomad".
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
And that is why I just ordered my T'shirt that says" Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park"
As soon as I can get my wife retired we will hope to go FT and don't care what "they" think !
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote