Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Are Full Time RVers being unnecessarily harrassed ?

I'd love to hear from other FT RVers and see how you deal with the following HUGE issue we are facing and what experiences (good or bad) you may have had:

FACTS: Does your county zoning laws prohibit you to park your RV on private property and live in it EVEN IF YOU OWN THE PROPERTY AND THERE IS A LEGAL HOUSE ON IT? Los Angeles county certainly does.

FACTS: You can't park and occupy your RV:

1. On public streets and parking lots
2. On private property (even if you own it and there is a house on it)
3. In most RV parks (monthly rentals - if your RV is over 10 years old)

So WHERE are Full Time RVers who own RVs 2007 and older supposed to live / go? Are we expected to simply desintegrate and vanish into thin air?

I paid $$$$ for my Monaco RV and it is still in MINT condition inside out. It is a 2006. Where do I go now?

Also why do Zoning people forbid RV owners to have their rigs plugged into power while parked on their own property? And why could you not live in your RV if you own the property and the house legally built on the property and if you have Rv hookups. I looked at zoning code for hours but never could find anything that states you are not allowed to . Still, Zoning officials keep enforcing this odd rule and basically forbidding people to live in their RVs in peace.

I would love to hear from all of you, share your research, experience, advice, pointers etc... Are there any states / counties that are RV friendly? Are there any loopholes or can permits be obtained to legally park an RV on private property and live in it?

Where do you live when you are not bouncing around from place to place?
Hope_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
WDW

zoning regulations are relative to each local. Just as deed restrictions and HOA. It's not true generally speaking here in NY state. But some areas may have those rules. Just bring your snow brush and checkbook.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope_H View Post

So WHERE are Full Time RVers who own RVs 2007 and older supposed to live / go? Are we expected to simply desintegrate and vanish into thin air?
You might try a mobile home park to live if you're not a traveler.

We full-timed for 16 years but didn't live on the streets or parking lots or on private property. We stayed in campgrounds or boondocked on public lands. We were never prohibited to stay when our MH was over 10 years and never asked about it. . . a completely different experience than what you have encountered. Yes, there are zoning laws everywhere. Sorry you're running into difficulty.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

I used to visit a somewhat eccentric cousin who lived in El Segundo. He's the kind of guy that would pick up on stray dogs--and stray people.

A young widow and two high school age boys were living in a Class C parked on the street out front. Every morning about 5:00 a.m., the boys would come inside (waking us up) and take a shower before going to school.

The Los Angeles area has such a high cost of living that many people simply cannot afford housing. Without laws prohibiting RV's, there'd be tens of thousands of people living on the streets of the region. It's just not the best way for children to grow up and for people to live.

That's why they are so restrictive on RV's.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Come to Yuma AZ. foothills. Lots are reasonable and you can stay as long as you want. You can buy a bare lot, a lot with an RV cover or a lot with a park model on it. Prices are reasonable and Yuma has everything you will ever need. Of course the intelligent people travel else wares from June to Sept. to avoid the high temps.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #6

Los Angeles. That says it all. Try the state of Arizona, where many people live in RV's full time (we do). There is a lot of BLM land that you can boondock on for free for 14 days. If you want REAL cheap, try Coyote Howls in Why, AZ where you can pay $550-$1,700 a YEAR to live there. We haven't been there due to our traveling for business, but I'd love to check it out. Here's their web site: Coyote Howls | Why, Arizona Campground and RV Park

The ten year rule is mostly so they can turn away the riff-raff in parks. If your rig looks decent, and you are not the riff-raff type, you'll have no problem in most of the RV parks here in Arizona. When it gets too hot, just drive to higher desert areas. RV parks are really cheap here, too. Bring a water filter. I hope this helps?
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're avoiding everything about CA. After 55 years going there. High cost of living, stupid laws, too many people, rude drivers, too many illegals, high crime, last years terrible weather.
AZ, TX, or FL from on.
Get out before it "should" fall into the ocean.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
This LA thing comes up fairly regularly. I say it's time to move away.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope_H View Post
I'd love to hear from other FT RVers and see how you deal with the following HUGE issue we are facing and what experiences (good or bad) you may have had:

FACTS: Does your county zoning laws prohibit you to park your RV on private property and live in it EVEN IF YOU OWN THE PROPERTY AND THERE IS A LEGAL HOUSE ON IT? Los Angeles county certainly does.

You shouldn't be able to "occupy" an RV on a public street or a private parking lot (unless said owner gives you permission). Public streets are for conveying people, not housing them.

Agree with this complaint. Unless the private property is covered under an HOA with covenants.

Most? Hardly. Some. And unfortunately, an increasing amount of them. However, many will allow you to take a picture of the RV and send it to them in advance to allow older rigs to come in if they are in good condition. Unfortunately, the economy and some inconsiderate people have made it difficult for park owners to evict "squatters" who buy cheap rigs that are never intended to move, and then don't pay their monthly fees.

I paid $$$$ for my Monaco RV and it is still in MINT condition inside out. It is a 2006. Where do I go now?

Also why do Zoning people forbid RV owners to have their rigs plugged into power while parked on their own property? And why could you not live in your RV if you own the property and the house legally built on the property and if you have Rv hookups. I looked at zoning code for hours but never could find anything that states you are not allowed to . Still, Zoning officials keep enforcing this odd rule and basically forbidding people to live in their RVs in peace.

Anytime a government "official" tells you you're forbidden to do something, have them cite the ordinance they are attempting to enforce. Write it down. Make sure that on any document or citation they specifically put the ordinance number they are attempting to enforce. If they can't, then politely push back and tell them to come back when they can cite it. If they insist on still citing you without, then you have great ammunition when you go to court to fight it. I'm a former county commissioner and have a great respect for many of the people working in local government, but I also hold their feet to the fire when they get a bit power-hungry.

I would love to hear from all of you, share your research, experience, advice, pointers etc... Are there any states / counties that are RV friendly? Are there any loopholes or can permits be obtained to legally park an RV on private property and live in it?

Where do you live when you are not bouncing around from place to place?
Bottom-line, your specific case is NOT the way things are in many communities, but laws are usually designed to either control behavior or raise revenue, and in California, they go overboard on a regular basis. There is a whole other and less-regulated world out there East of you.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Bottom-line, your specific case is NOT the way things are in many communities, but laws are usually designed to either control behavior or raise revenue, and in California, they go overboard on a regular basis. There is a whole other and less-regulated world out there East of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
We're avoiding everything about CA. After 55 years going there. High cost of living, stupid laws, too many people, rude drivers, too many illegals, high crime, last years terrible weather.
AZ, TX, or FL from on.
This pretty much sums it all up
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
This LA thing comes up fairly regularly. I say it's time to move away.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
AZ, TX, or FL from on.
You are absolutely correct!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #13

First thing, move out of CA..... That is all....
Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I used to visit a somewhat eccentric cousin who lived in El Segundo. He's the kind of guy that would pick up on stray dogs--and stray people.

A young widow and two high school age boys were living in a Class C parked on the street out front. Every morning about 5:00 a.m., the boys would come inside (waking us up) and take a shower before going to school.

The Los Angeles area has such a high cost of living that many people simply cannot afford housing. Without laws prohibiting RV's, there'd be tens of thousands of people living on the streets of the region. It's just not the best way for children to grow up and for people to live.

That's why they are so restrictive on RV's.
I very much agree and figured that much, but there is a fine line between prohibiting stray people to squat left and right on properties and streets AND prohiting a property owner from even plugging in his own RV into shore power to keep it from melting inside in the 105 F temps we have in SO CAL in some areas... Surely law makers have high enough IQs to compute all this, differeciate the misc scenarios and not create ONE SINGLE rule for ALL RVs ?? or maybe not LOL...
Hope_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time