Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Work good but noise. As to getting heat to floor, there are new inside covers that have a furnace type vent you can open or close to get the air flow down.

LEN

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Commercial Member

We love ours and use them a lot. Where we are the 110 is part of the monthly fee.

niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
love the heat pumps (2) on roof, great heat, but seldom use them preferring the Aqua Hot on either diesel or electric.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

Talking

Our new to us coach has three heat pumps. As others have stated they work well down to about 40F and not so well below that temperature. They save money when you're not on metered electricity as you've already paid for all the electricity that you can use; so why not use what you've paid for?

Are heat pumps worth the extra expense when buying an RV? The answer depends upon ALL the details and one of the biggest details is how, when, and where you will use your RV. Heat pumps my not be worth the added expense if you boon-dock or stay where there's metered electric a lot.

Our previous RV was an Arctic Fox TT and we boon-docked most of the time in it so the added expense of a heat pump wouldn't be justified.

Heat pumps came with our coach; so to us they're simply another tool for us to use.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with the comments about noise. We enjoy spring and fall camping a lot, so we get use out of it, but also added an electric heater for our small motorhome. It's much quieter. Do a "test listen" if you can before paying for one.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #20

My new RV came with two heat pumps and for some time i never had the opportunity use it. This trip I ran it for the first time. It takes a while to heat up and it makes noise. The noise is as loud as the fans and air conditioner. Not a desirable option. I really haven't heard of others about the noise level. Maybe it's just me.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #21

I find the noise less than and certainly no greater than running the A/C. So if that is to much noise one might not like using heat pumps. We have two units and run both when needed and do find the noise to be a problem.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would say they are worth it on a Diesel, on a Gasser it is my belief they are heavier and Gassers are already short on CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) so this will draw it down even more.

They will NOT keep you warm when the temps drop to freezing, but they will help at around say 40 degrees.. As for keeping you cool.. most motor homes are kind of short on cool.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We love ours. It doesn't replace the propane furnace but it is a nice supplement. On cool mornings when the motor home has cooled down in the 60s I start the generator to make coffee and recharge the batteries. I flip the heat pump on and it takes the chill out without starting the furnace.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok last night the humidity was 98%, blowing heavy mist/sprinkle
low temps were 29F...the heat pump kept us toasty all night.....until about 8 am, it was still pumping HOT air, but sounded like a water pump cavitating, it thought maybe something came loose in the vent
so after breakfast i climbed up top to look and the rear coil was 3/4 covered in ice.
and we had huge puddles of water on both sides of the roof.
so i came in turned it it a/c for 15 minutes at 65 f and it warmed up the coil and melted the ice
since them its been running quiet and HOT all day.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
Cat

We have the electric heat strips in our Coleman a/c- heat pumps . We like our heat pumps/heat strip we have stayed in temperatures mid 20 for several days. We use a small electric space heater as backup. It does save alot of propane--and the hassle of finding somebody that will deliver propane, or folding up and driving to get propane. The down side is the noise, and getting the heat near the floor, and if you are paying for the electricity the cost, and if your rv is cold it would take a while at 35-40f ambient to get your inside temps to 70f without using the propane heaters.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
ok last night the humidity was 98%, blowing heavy mist/sprinkle
low temps were 29F...the heat pump kept us toasty all night.....until about 8 am, it was still pumping HOT air, but sounded like a water pump cavitating, it thought maybe something came loose in the vent
so after breakfast i climbed up top to look and the rear coil was 3/4 covered in ice.
and we had huge puddles of water on both sides of the roof.
so i came in turned it it a/c for 15 minutes at 65 f and it warmed up the coil and melted the ice since them its been running quiet and HOT all day.
The heat pumps in our rig have an automatic defrost built in so we don't have to worry about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
We have the electric heat strips in our Coleman a/c- heat pumps . We like our heat pumps/heat strip we have stayed in temperatures mid 20 for several days. We use a small electric space heater as backup. It does save alot of propane--and the hassle of finding somebody that will deliver propane, or folding up and driving to get propane. The down side is the noise, and getting the heat near the floor, and if you are paying for the electricity the cost, and if your rv is cold it would take a while at 35-40f ambient to get your inside temps to 70f without using the propane heaters.
Yep, it does appear that some of the Coleman heat pumps do have a 1600 watt heat strip in them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, it does appear that some of the Coleman heat pumps do have a 1600 watt heat strip in them.
With Dometic units I've noticed that heat strips can't be used in ducted installations. Can they be used with Coleman's?

docj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump