Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
Cat

We had a similar situation to what powerboatr had happen. We were in very similar conditions in Coeur Dalene Id last winter. Cold (23f) wet air- they call it freezing fog- never heard of freezing fog, anyway even though the compressor had shut off the fan was still still running and blowing across the condensor. The condensor built up ice on it enough that the fan blades started hitting the ice making noise. I did the same as powerboater turned the a/c on. Amazing how much water ran off the roof as it thawed out. :-)).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The heat pumps in our rig have an automatic defrost built in so we don't have to worry about it.
i was surprised this new unit didnt defrost itself. I have to read up on the book and see if the unit had a hiccupp
although today its been cold and rainy and now hovering at 35....coach is nice and warm

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #31

We have a 2009 Itasca 35 J, and are on our third ac/ heat pump unit for the rear. I'm not sure if its true or not, however my mechanic has told me that if we use the heat pump it shortens the AC life which I certainly could believe. From now on I'm just going to use the AC's for AC and the gas furnace for heat. I believe ours is a Coleman ac/heat pump, and after a few thousand dollars replacing them , I am done with heat pumps
Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The heat pumps make no more noise than AC. I think you will use heat pumps a lot less than AC, I know we do. I'm sure they do shorten the life of the unit by using them. That goes for anything mechanical. My biggest reason to love them is, my 2000 Holiday Rambler has the original ones. I just have them cleaned out each year. I suspect the maintenance on Aquahot or other similar units is at least that or more.
Mine are getting old and I'm sure I'll be replacing them soon.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #33

We have the heatpumps(Dometic) and use them all the time. Like said before they only work down to about 40 degrees and then the furnace automatically takes over. It is way more economical than using propane, if you are plugged into 50 amps it's not costing you anything(unless you are extended stay and monitored). You can also run them on the generator if you are boondocking (at least long enough to warm it up before going to bed and in the morning).They actually warm things up pretty quick. You can even run them while driving if you wanted to. I don't think they are any louder than the A/C and the nice thing about them is you can run the front one and leave the bedroom one off, the front one will still pump enough heat to the rear vents to keep it warm and you get very little noise. As far as the A/C it keeps our MH really cool, and cycles on/off just like the A/C at home. We have stayed in 100+ degree weather and the A/C's have kept us nice and cool.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #34

Had a heat pump in our previous MH. Installed electric furnace in this one. If we need to replace an AC unit, I likely would not spend the $200 extra for the heat pump option.

Our MH does not need heat until the outdoor temps drop below 55. Heat pumps really do not work well in outdoor temps below 40, at least the Carrier HP we had did not.

It is rare that the temps are between 40 and 55 AND I am using metered electric when we are using the MH. Either for travel or as guest house at home. Would take a LOT of that circumstance to ever pay for the $200 upcharge in electric savings over just using our electric furnace. Propane when no electric is available as its the least convienient and most expensive.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
so far we have only lost HEAT now twice and the second time was last night...but the outside temps were below 22F and humidity was 89%

the unit shut off around 3AM and the furnace picked up the slack until the sun came out
tonight is supposed to be the last below 32 night time for a a week or so.
hopefully i get everything done and we leave for south texas
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Are these worth getting? I had a S&B years ago with one and it could never keep the house warm in winter or cool in the summer. In my current coach I did not get the heat pump option and we use our fireplace and/or an electric heater to keep from using the furnace. I use the furnace mainly when when the temps will be getting below freezing for the wetbay to be heated. It is not that much of a cost, but do they do any good?
Mine work fabulously. I've used them with temps down in the 30s in the winter and they blow nice hot air. I have Duotherm Penquin heat pumps. They are a bit noisier in Heat mode. Dometic says they will auto switch to furnace at 24 degrees. In my experience they work fine right down to that point, though they may be less efficient.

I replaced one AC with a heat pump in my old RV and it saved our bacon when our furnace quit one winter. In our new RV both are heat pumps and we stayed comfortable this fall when our aquahot quit working in the front heat zone. Its great to have a backup!

One drawback is the heat is coming from the ceiling...the floor can get cold. One advantage is that you aren't using up propane and/or Diesel...it can be a pain to have to break camp to go get either.

I'll never order a replacement without the heatpump option.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Our cold weather travel is very limited and in most cases it may only get down below freezing a few days a week on our month long trips. But our hot weather traveling is where it is normally in the upper 90's. Will a heat pump be able to keep the motorhome cool enough?
A heatpump unit is no less efficient for cooling than a non heat pump unit. The heatpump just has a reversing valve to allow the cooling process to reverse.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I would say they are worth it on a Diesel, on a Gasser it is my belief they are heavier and Gassers are already short on CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) so this will draw it down even more.

They will NOT keep you warm when the temps drop to freezing, but they will help at around say 40 degrees.. As for keeping you cool.. most motor homes are kind of short on cool.
The only difference between them is a reversing valve...a few pounds at most for the same BTU rating.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
ok last night the humidity was 98%, blowing heavy mist/sprinkle
low temps were 29F...the heat pump kept us toasty all night.....until about 8 am, it was still pumping HOT air, but sounded like a water pump cavitating, it thought maybe something came loose in the vent
so after breakfast i climbed up top to look and the rear coil was 3/4 covered in ice.
and we had huge puddles of water on both sides of the roof.
so i came in turned it it a/c for 15 minutes at 65 f and it warmed up the coil and melted the ice
since them its been running quiet and HOT all day.
Our heat pumps do this automatically every so often...a nice feature.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With Dometic units I've noticed that heat strips can't be used in ducted installations. Can they be used with Coleman's?
This is because the dometic heat strip mounts in the housing that's used on the ductless unit. There's just nowhere to install it in a ducted unit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #41

We have one and if it ever dies it will be replaced with another. Our mode of travel is volunteering with WES and although we also receive propane I like the heatpump for those above freezing but DW wants some heat.

'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump