Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #127
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
You may be breaking the law in certain states, or putting national forests at risk. State-by-State Information | Don't Move Firewood

We have neither the space nor the inclination to drag firewood around in our RV, but we do love a campfire!
you have no basis for this comment. I doubt your an attorney, forester, or even spend anytime in the forest other then to drive through on a paved road. how many days a yr. do you spend out in the woods. not a cg. if you really know forest tell me what a level one fire restriction is. I won't even ask for an explanation of what a level 2,3,or 4 is.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #128
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In this area the Emerald Ash Borer is devastating the Ash trees. I have a lot of Black Ash on my land and am hoping they do not show up here, but probably they will.

I do not take firewood from our woods when we travel. We already have Oak Wilt and Dutch Elm Disease on our land. I do not want to spread it and hope others feel the same.

I like a camp fire just like the rest of you but will pay the price to burn local wood.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post

you have no basis for this comment. I doubt your an attorney, forester, or even spend anytime in the forest other then to drive through on a paved road. how many days a yr. do you spend out in the woods. not a cg. if you really know forest tell me what a level one fire restriction is. I won't even ask for an explanation of what a level 2,3,or 4 is.
Clearly you don't read signs posted at campgrounds do you? Lol!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You are correct, I am not an attorney nor a forester. My "basis" is stated clearly in the link that I posted and has nothing whatsoever to do with forest fires nor "level one fire restriction."

Firewood can harbor many different kinds of invasive pests and diseases that are harmful to trees. Many states have regulations in place to prevent the transport of firewood that could potentially harm otherwise healthy trees.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #131

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
We live in the woods and fires are a way of life for us and everyone living in our area. We heat with wood and keep our wood storage of about 40 cords on a three year rotation. When we burn there is no smoke and we never have to clean the chimney. We try and keep the undergrowth of the forrest down and burn as much as we can. We know our home is vulnerable to forrest fires, but this is our way of life. We carry our wood in the MH everywhere we go and have never had a problem. But, we are mostly summer travelers which keeps us up north. I'm sure city folks look at fire as being taboo along with guns and other necessities of life we take for granted in the country. I think I'm out far enough not to be encroached by city thinking, but if they get too close we'll just pick up stakes and move further out. The same holds true for our RV travels. Ban camp fires and we'll just move on or out
Good for you, our types are getting to be fewer and fewer.
P.S. I also don't have a "BABY ON BOARD" sign in any of my vehicles
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #132

Ford Super Duty Owner
For us camping isn't camping without ending the day visiting with new friends around a campfire.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #133

I am a newbie at camping/RV'ing. I never gave camp fires much thought but I have witnessed vast forests blighted by invasive pests.

It doesn't take much thought to imagine the little beasts jumping off transported wood into their newfound home. Especially when their current residence catches fire in a little pit.

It is very obvious from many of these postings that some people think the whole world belongs to them alone and they should be allowed to destroy anything they please in the name of "freedom".

One thing I have learned is that if I do decide I want to enjoy a campfire I will make it with local wood.

Thanks all!

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
In this area the Emerald Ash Borer is devastating the Ash trees. I have a lot of Black Ash on my land and am hoping they do not show up here, but probably they will.

I do not take firewood from our woods when we travel. We already have Oak Wilt and Dutch Elm Disease on our land. I do not want to spread it and hope others feel the same.

I like a camp fire just like the rest of you but will pay the price to burn local wood.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #134

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Camp Fire in the can. Propane. Works great. Makes everyone happy.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #135

Quote:
You are correct, I am not an attorney nor a forester. My "basis" is stated clearly in the link that I posted and has nothing whatsoever to do with forest fires nor "level one fire restriction." Firewood can harbor many different kinds of invasive pests and diseases that are harmful to trees. Many states have regulations in place to prevent the transport of firewood that could potentially harm otherwise healthy trees.
Thanks again, Sarah!

Many folks are agravated at local requirements on wood transportation, and this tends to contribute to the "end of campfires" thoughts by some because of higher cost.

I have found local wood that I could buy cheaper and in quantity. This can greatly decrease cost. Just ask your "neighbor" like I did.

I advise folks to review Sarah's link, and also consider these:

Oregon: http://www.dontmovefirewood.org/blog...es-oregon.html

New York: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/28722.html

Info by state for Emerald Ash Borer: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/fire....sh2SEDGM.dpbs

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #136
laj

Quote:

You are correct, I am not an attorney nor a forester. My "basis" is stated clearly in the link that I posted and has nothing whatsoever to do with forest fires nor "level one fire restriction."

Firewood can harbor many different kinds of invasive pests and diseases that are harmful to trees. Many states have regulations in place to prevent the transport of firewood that could potentially harm otherwise healthy trees.
I'll make a deal with you. you pay the 800 a cord price, I'll bring my essentially free, and you can come over to my cheap fire anytime.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #137

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I'll make a deal with you. you pay the 800 a cord price, I'll bring my essentially free, and you can come over to my cheap fire anytime.
Not sure where you live.......800 a cord.......HOLY BALL'S! I can buy a tri-axle load for less than that.....
'
Old 11-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #138

Quote:
I won't even travel there, but that's not the only place that's got em. I take my own firewood as well. never had a problem yet, and don't expect to.
So, when you say "never had a problem yet", I imagine that means you brought your wood, burned it and went home. No problem, for you.

But you don't really know if you left a problem behind.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #139
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Not sure where you live.......800 a cord.......HOLY BALL'S! I can buy a tri-axle load for less than that.....
'
that's about what I find cg wood for.
around here it runs about 220 a cord delivered for hardwood.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #140
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post

So, when you say "never had a problem yet", I imagine that means you brought your wood, burned it and went home. No problem, for you.

But you don't really know if you left a problem behind.
I find fire kills all life forms also I was talking legal from bring own wood. also depends what kind of wood if it has organisms in it.