Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #141
laj

I have my own wood source and cut my own wood. for house as well for campfires.

would never pay that much for it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
that's about what I find cg wood for. around here it runs about 220 a cord delivered for hardwood.
$220 sounds like an Oregon price. Albany is about half that price.

It is an imporant issue in Oregon:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/IPPM...ving_wood.aspx

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #143
laj

sounds like what other states are doing with produce. just a way to make more local money.
kind of a scam.
I do believe campfires will still prevail. if not, who's toes you gonna step on next, and for what. I think it's all down hill from here.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #144

Quote:
sounds like what other states are doing with produce. just a way to make more local money. kind of a scam. I do believe campfires will still prevail. if not, who's toes you gonna step on next, and for what. I think it's all down hill from here.
I dont see it as a money grab at all. I have not seen evidence of any active revenue streams by the states on these quarantines. They simply want to halt the damage.

If the bugs can be defeated, it loosens things up. Until then, we should all do our part. Othewise, things may tighten up considerably.

If you are gathering your wood locally, you can burn it locally.

The next time you are in Oregon, please consider buying your wood locally there: http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/Pages/news...8firewood.aspx

The next time you are in New York, please consider buying your wood locally there:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/28722.html

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
In this area the Emerald Ash Borer is devastating the Ash trees. I have a lot of Black Ash on my land and am hoping they do not show up here, but probably they will.
I'm in a "commuter" bedroom community. Suburban lot lost my 3 ash trees, down the road a "gentleman" who lets say his social life is his only life bought an older class a. We got mailings and signs put up afterwards. Coincidental most likely. But those emerald ash borers have devastated my community.

Also what defines local when it comes to firewood?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Ya know what really stinks? Diesel Pushers
Very true. But, what stinks even more than diesel pushers, are people who want more laws to ban things.

Bruce
Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #147

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This reminds me of the Walmart threads. There will be many opinions.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #148

I used to think transporting fire wood for a campfire was no big deal, but when trees start dying because of insects or disease I had to stop. If I inadvertently bring a bug to a beautiful forest and the forest is destroyed, that's a huge loss for everyone. Can't imagine camping without trees!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #149

Quote:
I find fire kills all life forms also I was talking legal from bring own wood. also depends what kind of wood if it has organisms in it.
Not if it jumps off first. You think those bugs are going to stick around for the roast? If you light my house on fire I'm going to run.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #150

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Not if it jumps off first. You think those bugs are going to stick around for the roast? If you light my house on fire I'm going to run.
You may be speaking in jest, but in case you are not:

Sorry, they can't jump. The stage that infests the wood is the larvae form(think worm like) that feeds under the bark. They physically could not escape the average campfire.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #151

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
You may be speaking in jest, but in case you are not:

Sorry, they can't jump. The stage that infests the wood is the larvae form(think worm like) that feeds under the bark. They physically could not escape the average campfire.
Howes about the banging and throwing around the wood recieves before the fire is even lit? Can the worm like creature's that have gotten knocked off thier home hit the ground and go off in search of a new home?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #152
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the case of Oak Wilt and Dutch Elm disease the spore can be floated away in the smoke. They spread in different ways. Insects spread them with the spores through contact, they spread when their roots contact each other, and of course with Emerald Ash Borer, the insect does the job.

The borer lives just under the bark and if some bark falls off the log the eggs will fall with it to hatch later.

I have had the state foresters out here trying to develop a plan to fight these diseases and there is no good method. Prevention is the best defense. Prevention means not transporting the disease into the area in the first place.

Right now all of the large Elm trees are gone and all we have are young ones that sprout from old seed in the ground. The get twenty feet tall and then they die from the disease. I lose five to ten Red Oak trees every year. I also lose one or two White Oaks as well. They are not as suseptable.

Burying your head in the sand won't stop this loss of a huge natural resource. Once these trees are infected they cannot be sold for lumber products. Think about it. What kind of woodwork do you have in your house?
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #153

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Howes about the banging and throwing around the wood recieves before the fire is even lit? Can the worm like creature's that have gotten knocked off thier home hit the ground and go off in search of a new home?
Anything in this world is possible,but it less likely than hitting the lottery.

The larvae are buried within the wood, under the bark in tunnels that they have created.

I guess they could escape if you removed the bark, but they again would probably die as they are not equipped to bore in from the outside.

Please realize that this is a serious threat to our forests, and is not a conspiracy to make your camping adventure uncomfortable or more expensive. Please, DO NOT move wood that still has bark on it.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #154

Newmar Owners Club
I do not haul any firewood, If I want a fire, go to the store ......pay for it......it gets delivered right to my fire ring. When I bought our Coach I entered into the most expensive and costly time off from work hobby I have ever had(not retired yet and the cost will go up then, new Coach in the future) so for me not only to comply with the laws and the obvious destruction (news and local papers and visual) and the cost of maybe a total of $12.00 max for a nights fire from time to time when looking at the whole picture of this hobby I am not going to use my Newmar for a "wood hauler"
We also carry a propane fire pit with ceramic logs when we don't want the smoke.