Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #155

So wood hauling is out, but rock hauling is OK!

Got It!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

Got It!
If it's good enough for Lucy, it's good enough for us. Heck she even had an attraction and store of sorts at universal for many years. Plus my maternal grandmother loved her

Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #157

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been enjoying wood fires since I was a boy scout at age 11.

When I go camping, this is something I enjoy on cold nights, along with a nice glass of Merlot. I don't go overboard and build a giant bonfire, but keep a couple of nice logs burning in my collapsible fire pit. I have a bucket of water nearby in case the wind blows embers out. I understand some forests are too dry, and may need to impose temporary bans.... and that is OK. I don't want to start a forest fire. But....many campgrounds I visit have wide open spaces with few nearby trees. While any campground has the right to make rules, I always ask about fires, and will try to not stay at ones who say no.

I love the smell of a nice campfire, and the crackle of the wood. If you cannot handle smoke, I am sympathetic, but its an important part of my camping experience, so you may not want to camp downwind from my fire.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #158

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

Got It!
Capacity for hauling rocks is not a problem nor a concern, but all the bugs including spiders(love the basement space in a class A) and the dirt from the wood(as it all has) I do not want. My fireplace takes up a third of the space as wood for a weekend and the best part is I don't have to reload it each time we go out. I have done both (wood in a 55 gal. drum liner, heavy plastic bag) and found the fireplace works for us, and when we want a real fire 1/4 to 1/2 the time have it delivered. Even if it was OK to move wood from state to state and across county lines in what ever state I would still buy it where I am at. I spend $12.00 a lot more foolishly more times than not than the enjoyment I get out of that $12.00 fire for 4-6 hours. The propane fire is even more cost effective to operate for the evening after dark for a couple of hours. Second photo.....The best tasting corn I have ever made!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06480.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	50603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07850.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	50606  

Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #159

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
In the case of Oak Wilt and Dutch Elm disease the spore can be floated away in the smoke. They spread in different ways. Insects spread them with the spores through contact, they spread when their roots contact each other, and of course with Emerald Ash Borer, the insect does the job.

The borer lives just under the bark and if some bark falls off the log the eggs will fall with it to hatch later.

I have had the state foresters out here trying to develop a plan to fight these diseases and there is no good method. Prevention is the best defense. Prevention means not transporting the disease into the area in the first place.

Right now all of the large Elm trees are gone and all we have are young ones that sprout from old seed in the ground. The get twenty feet tall and then they die from the disease. I lose five to ten Red Oak trees every year. I also lose one or two White Oaks as well. They are not as suseptable.

Burying your head in the sand won't stop this loss of a huge natural resource. Once these trees are infected they cannot be sold for lumber products. Think about it. What kind of woodwork do you have in your house?

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #160

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=csrrsr;1816087]We live in the woods and fires are a way of life for us and everyone living in our area. We heat with wood and keep our wood storage of about 40 cords on a three year rotation. When we burn there is no smoke and we never have to clean the chimney. We try and keep the undergrowth of the forrest down and burn as much as we can. We know our home is vulnerable to forrest fires, but this is our way of life. We carry our wood in the MH everywhere we go and have never had a problem. But, we are mostly summer travelers which keeps us up north.

Sarah, I should have said Washington instead of north.....sorry! If we were to take an extended trip out of state, which we may end up doing in the coming years, we'd leave our wood at home. We can only take enough for a few nights anyway. For those that wouldn't put fire wood in their MH I agree with them. I do it because it is bug free....skinned and split, stored undercover and dried for three years. Moisture content is less than .01 of 1%. I would never introduce bugs to the MH. But as long as we continue to fish the Washington coast and all parts in between, we'll always bring our firewood along and enjoy our campfires
Old 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
We live in the woods and fires are a way of life for us and everyone living in our area. We heat with wood and keep our wood storage of about 40 cords on a three year rotation. When we burn there is no smoke and we never have to clean the chimney. We try and keep the undergrowth of the forrest down and burn as much as we can. We know our home is vulnerable to forrest fires, but this is our way of life. We carry our wood in the MH everywhere we go and have never had a problem. But, we are mostly summer travelers which keeps us up north.

Sarah, I should have said Washington instead of north.....sorry! If we were to take an extended trip out of state, which we may end up doing in the coming years, we'd leave our wood at home. We can only take enough for a few nights anyway. For those that wouldn't put fire wood in their MH I agree with them. I do it because it is bug free....skinned and split, stored undercover and dried for three years. Moisture content is less than .01 of 1%. I would never introduce bugs to the MH. But as long as we continue to fish the Washington coast and all parts in between, we'll always bring our firewood along and enjoy our campfires
I hope you don't think my post was in any way directed at you or meant as a criticism. I was simply posting a bit of info that I only recently became aware of... that transporting firewood is against the law in several states. As I said before, we don't carry wood because we don't have the space nor the inclination to do so. We love a campfire and usually buy firewood at the campgrounds we frequent.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #162

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Multi tasking using a Campfire.
We bring important, sensative papers that we have to destroyed and burn them. We have WAY to many papers for a shredder. I have a mesh screen that I put over the fire pit to contain any floating sparks. After the fire burns down a bit we put on a log and enjoy the fire.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #163

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
We bring important, sensative papers that we have to destroyed and burn them. We have WAY to many papers for a shredder. I have a mesh screen that I put over the fire pit to contain any floating sparks. After the fire burns down a bit we put on a log and enjoy the fire.
Oh boy........
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #164

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Oh boy........
You bet ! After I get my new implants. (Not Breast)
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

We do this at home. Thought of doing the same thing on trips but at home works out fine for now.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #166

Ford Super Duty Owner
what is really sad is the elm disease and the ash borers, as well as zebra mussels and who knows what all else are here because our government does not put the restrictions on imports that other countries place on our exports.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kro1957,

I don't think camp fires are becomming a thing of the past, I just think that we are changing the methods. I had a set up like the one you describe- we used it often within the first year or so we had it. It started to be a pain to clean up and store. This year I gave it to my daughter and son-in-law and bought one of those propane ones. Ours is the Camp Chef Redwood that we got from Amazon and now we enjoy a fire almost every night. It also came with some very nice quality adjustable camp forks (which I've used to cook a hot dog). They are done within just a few minutes! The whole deal was about $130.00 and I got a 2 1/2 gal. propane tank that travels easily and not heavy. With that we get about 5 nights of fires for about 30 to 45 mins apiece. I can't say enough good things about it...try it, you'll like it!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #168

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
During my earliest years of real camping, a fire was a necessity. Only source of heat and cooking. Those who do not want a wood campfire should not be in campgrounds. Keep to the RV resorts. Campgrounds MUST always have campfires (weather permitting)

LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote