Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #169

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy
During my earliest years of real camping, a fire was a necessity. Only source of heat and cooking. Those who do not want a wood campfire should not be in campgrounds. Keep to the RV resorts. Campgrounds MUST always have campfires (weather permitting)
Since this thread began my thoughts have run along these same lines. The modern RV has people out "camping" who would have never been there years ago. People with allergies and other health issues who would not have ventured much beyond their backyard are now able to live comfortably in their RV and work around "nature" and the outdoors. This is a great thing, but means we all have to try a little harder to understand and get along with our camping neighbors just a little harder. There are some places where the thought of not having a campfire seems unimaginable. Other places would seem less demanding of a campfire. And some no campfires are or should be allowed for various reasons.

I don't recall which campground - roughly where upper and lower lower loops of Yellowstone meet - returning from a day trip around dusk - the campfire smoke loomed heavy - smelled great. It was years ago and I can't imagine that place without the campfires and smoke. This and places like should be avoided by those you cannot tolerate it.

To me the burden is on each of us to put ourselves where we are most comfortable. There are always options. When we need to accommodate we should. But it works both ways.

Recently we were at a place that had a central campfire area. We did not care for it. A campfire is for family time - and socializing and story telling. It is also a place that we can share with new friends. Maybe one day we'll invite you to join us at ours. But I would rather do without than to have a fake fire or be invited to sit in your coach out of the smoke.

And if we happen to be smoking a turkey like this one for 4 or 5 hours during the day - I'm sorry my cooking is bothering you - grin and bare it and I will offer you a plate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-725000937.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	51041

Camping means all sorts of things to different people. For us, the picnic table, cooking outdoors, a campfire are all a part of it. And that includes trying to get along and making new friends. Although sometimes easier said than done. YMMV and of course JMHO

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #170

Monaco Owners Club
Well said Flaggship

I understand the local firewood issue...
At our last home in another state we lost a nice stand of 60 foot pines to insects - they were trees that we loved to hear the wind blow through !

And at our current home the oak wilt has cost us trees AND money - I've had to pay for at least 100 trees to be taken down before they fall on one of us !

but we too love just talking and staring into the fire to see what the flames and embers make...

So just like the questions you may ask about the 'rustic-ness' of a campground, if a campfire bothers you maybe you shouldn't go there rather than spoil the adventure for others....

does anyone else notice the irony of the word we are 'discussing' ?
wonder why they call it a "CAMPFIRE" ?

Heck, my eagle scout badge EONS ago required a wilderness fire building task !
and SMORES anyone ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A smore adventure.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	51102  

Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #171

Like many things in life this issue has become give and take.

Im ok with some campgrounds not allowing them, and I can chose not to go there- but an all out ban for everyone everywhere is silly.

Campgrounds exacerbate the problem by selling green wood, and people that don't know how to build a fire and litterbugs make it worse. (lots of these nowadays)

We moved to using a washtub "fire pit" with removable legs and only burn well seasoned wood and or very clean burning wood pellets at other times when Im around people that are sensitive to air quality. If we're in the midwest well use dry corn sometimes which smells sweet when it burns.

There is little to no smoke coming from our campsite on wood pellets and this seems to please everyone so far.

(someone will mention they don't want to pay for pellets and I get that, but if its pay or no ambience I'll pay a little.

Those with smoke allergies typically don't sit outside at night without some form of heat as it's usually too cold- so they usually go back inside the RV where I have an air cleaner running that does a very effective job. You could park in the middle of a forest fire and the smoke wouldn't get you.

For us this is a matter of courtesy to ones neighbors, picking the right travel companions, and doing what the Romans do when in Rome vs try to legislate our preferences for everyone else.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #172

To answer the OP's question..."yes.''
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #173

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
To answer the OP's question..."yes.''
I say yes in private parks.

No in government parks.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #174

Less than 100 years ago fire was essential for life, now people are bitching about it, lol! I find that hilarious.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #175

100 years ago the Earth's human population was 1/5 of what it is today. Think about that...
Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Less than 100 years ago fire was essential for life, now people are bitching about it, lol! I find that hilarious.
According to some, over 72,000 years ago. Old habits are hard to break.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...s-thought.html

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #177

This campfires seems small enough.

Flaming Jenga Is Just Like Regular Jenga, But With More Fire - YouTube
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #178

am from kalifornia. Many areas have baned fires as they pollute! You can't even build a house with a wood burning fireplace anymore in most of the state. Fortunately, most of the state parks still allow a fire!

Good reason to be from Kalifornia and never go back.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

According to some, over 72,000 years ago. Old habits are hard to break.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...s-thought.html
Yea I meant up to 100 years ago or even sooner it was an essential part of life and the only source of heat. I don't know the exact date so I just guessed. But it wasn't too long ago, maybe 120, lol!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post
am from kalifornia. Many areas have baned fires as they pollute! You can't even build a house with a wood burning fireplace anymore in most of the state. Fortunately, most of the state parks still allow a fire!

Good reason to be from Kalifornia and never go back.
Yea that state has some nutty laws, too many liberals. Definitely wouldn't want to live there, you give up lots of freedoms that people from normal states take for granted, lol!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #181

Are old fashioned Camp Fires becoming thing of the past?

I sure hope so. I've had way too many built way to close burning wood that wouldn't make a decent fire in a stove much less smouldering in a pit for hours.

I've talked to management and nothing happens. So I have to seal myself inside, shut the windows and turn on the air because people don't care you're downwind and less than 20 ft. away.

It does help create the attitude if you don't care about me I don't care about you.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Fire is still essential for life, it's the fuel source that has evolved. And the ability of many people to build a clean burning fire the old fashioned way.