Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #183

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Are old fashioned Camp Fires becoming thing of the past?

I sure hope so. I've had way too many built way to close burning wood that wouldn't make a decent fire in a stove much less smouldering in a pit for hours.

I've talked to management and nothing happens. So I have to seal myself inside, shut the windows and turn on the air because people don't care you're downwind and less than 20 ft. away.

It does help create the attitude if you don't care about me I don't care about you.
I care about you BUT if you do not like CAMPfires, don't stay in a CAMPground!

Lots of RV resorts don't allow fires at the sites.

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post

Agree 100%. why should the 99% be punished because the 1% does not like it.

"Come on family, lets cuddle around the space heater and cook our smores on the warm electric glow".

Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #185

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Agree 100%. why should the 99% be punished because the 1% does not like it.

"Come on family, lets cuddle around the space heater and cook our smores on the warm electric glow".
I agree, the whole campground should not have campfires because a few do not like them or cannot breathe, that is crazy.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Are old fashioned Camp Fires becoming thing of the past?

I sure hope so. I've had way too many built way to close burning wood that wouldn't make a decent fire in a stove much less smouldering in a pit for hours.

I've talked to management and nothing happens. So I have to seal myself inside, shut the windows and turn on the air because people don't care you're downwind and less than 20 ft. away.

It does help create the attitude if you don't care about me I don't care about you.
Lets see here. The vast majority enjoys the "camping experience" WITH a campfire. I do care about the folks that don't want a campfire near them. Thats why there are Wally World Campers. No smoke, no critters and the comfort of security guards.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #187

Very few campgrounds in AZ, NM, NV, etc allow campfires. There are a handful of propane ones. Most of the pleasant aromas are from gas and charcoal grills.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #188

We have had a small propane "campfire"unit for 5 years and love it. Never use wood anymore. A camping neighbor of mine had a huge campfire with sparks flying all over the place and some landed on my awning and burnt huge holes in it. I did not notice it until the next day and the offenders were gone, Suffice to say, I was not amused, but some people just do not understand how much damage can be caused by wood campfires.

I have had hundreds of wood campfires, but I always considered safety and nuisance issues for others.

There is no substitute for common sense,
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #189

Quote:
I care about you BUT if you do not like CAMPfires, don't stay in a CAMPground! .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Thats why there are Wally World Campers. No smoke, no critters and the comfort of security guards.
LOL, I grew up on a dairy farm in a 1880 farm house heated by wood stoves. Critters everywhere, critters you ate, critters that made a little money, critters you didn't want around and critters to keep them away. A multitude of odors and stench, no street lights, no guards, didn't need them with all the critters. Nice perception though.

To my point. In most CAMPgrounds very close proximity is a fact of life. You build your CAMPfire and see the smoke is blowing directly into someone's tent or windows. What do you do?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #190

Quote:
To my point. In most CAMPgrounds very close proximity is a fact of life. You build your CAMPfire and see the smoke is blowing directly into someone's tent or windows. What do you do?
More info is needed. Do you like the campers? Are they annoying you?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #191
laj

Quote:

LOL, I grew up on a dairy farm in a 1880 farm house heated by wood stoves. Critters everywhere, critters you ate, critters that made a little money, critters you didn't want around and critters to keep them away. A multitude of odors and stench, no street lights, no guards, didn't need them with all the critters. Nice perception though.

spray it with a little water so not as much fire, hence not as much smoke, sound about right.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post

spray it with a little water so not as much fire, hence not as much smoke, sound about right.
A little water will just make more smoke.

On the other hand, a little lighter fluid will make it burn bright and smoke free... For a few seconds anyway!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #193

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bad news for our smoke challanged friends.
I just got my KOA renewal notice and right on the cover is a picture of a LIT campfire as well as one man GIVING firewood to another gentleman.
Beetles, bugs, wood borers, ashes, sparks, and let us not forget the Spotted Owl. Will the horror ever end ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #194

Quote:

Agreed, it's bad enough everyone has luxury trailers and call it camping but complaining about campfires is ridiculous, if you don't like the activities associated with camping then you shouldn't go camping. Having a campfire is the main part of camping where I live. Lots of people cook over them and roast marshmallows and make smores for the kids. Boil a large pot of water and make omelets in a bag for breakfast and so on. Not to mention sitting around them talking and drinking. Do you also go to music concerts and complain about the loud music? Lol! Who do you think you are that you want to destroy a pastime loved by billions of people worldwide because you don't like campfires? What would you have done if you lived 120 years ago? Died the first winter cause you don't like campfire smoke? Lol! I grew up in a house heated with wood and love the smell of campfires. Perhaps a mobile home trailer park in town would be better suited to your "camping" style if you don't like campfires.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #195

While I've been told what I should do, what I am, where I should camp or not camp, or how I want to destroy the world's past time for billions none of you have told me what YOU would do (and this is the THIRD time I've asked):

If you built a fire and saw the smoke blowing directly into your neighbors unit, what would you do?

That is my objection, being smoked out of my motor home. Am I unreasonable?

I've camped since the 70's people HAVE become less respectful of others in nearly every aspect of life. All I see is if an open fire isn't involved, it's not camping, nothing about how you deal with the people down wind. Or if they're even a consideration. Any of my detractors have a simple answer?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #196

Quote:
While I've been told what I should do, what I am, where I should camp or not camp, or how I want to destroy the world's past time for billions none of you have told me what YOU would do (and this is the THIRD time I've asked):

If you built a fire and saw the smoke blowing directly into your neighbors unit, what would you do?

That is my objection, being smoked out of my motor home. Am I unreasonable?

I've camped since the 70's people HAVE become less respectful of others in nearly every aspect of life. All I see is if an open fire isn't involved, it's not camping, nothing about how you deal with the people down wind. Or if they're even a consideration. Any of my detractors have a simple answer?
Well I've never had such an issue personally, but if someone's smoke was blowing in my direction and they had a poor smoldering fire and it bothered me I would go show them how to build a proper fire.