Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #197
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The issue of unleashed dogs has been discussed at length in the past. Recent posts on that topic in this thread have been deleted. Let's move on please.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Agreed, it's bad enough everyone has luxury trailers and call it camping but complaining about campfires is ridiculous, if you don't like the activities associated with camping then you shouldn't go camping. Having a campfire is the main part of camping where I live. Lots of people cook over them and roast marshmallows and make smores for the kids. Boil a large pot of water and make omelets in a bag for breakfast and so on. Not to mention sitting around them talking and drinking. Do you also go to music concerts and complain about the loud music? Lol! Who do you think you are that you want to destroy a pastime loved by billions of people worldwide because you don't like campfires? What would you have done if you lived 120 years ago? Died the first winter cause you don't like campfire smoke? Lol! I grew up in a house heated with wood and love the smell of campfires. Perhaps a mobile home trailer park in town would be better suited to your "camping" style if you don't like campfires.
I'm of the thought that campfires "can" be a useful part of the camping experience, however as I read these posts I'm beginning to think that most of the "pro" fire people belong to the Neanderthal group of humans.

1. The incidence of transporting contaminated wood across state borders is a real concern - contrary to the mocking and sarcastic posts; you shouldn't do it PERIOD [moderator edit]

2. Very FEW people actually use a campfire to "cook" as the above poster has stated. Smores maybe but cooking meals is rare. Cooking on grills yes, wood fires no.

3. Propane fires/fire pits are the way of the future. No flying embers, no smoke, clean burning, etc., Propane fires WILL become the standard in the near future.

It always amazes me how resistant people are to changes, especially when it doesn't conform to how they have been doing things for "...years..."

For those of you who are adamant that wood fire burning campfire is essential to camping I have these questions for you....

...do you believe that toilet paper is for sissy's as well? Camping isn't really camping unless you're using leaf's and grass? Should porta potties be the only acceptable place for relieving oneself or do "real men" just use trees?

...Should spraying for mosquito's and other insects be banned because it isn't real camping?

...do you shun electricity at the campsite and rely only on Coleman lanterns for light?

But seriously folks there are too many irresponsible people and litigation costs will eventually result in the community fire (run by the campground) and propane pits in the future. It's what camping WILL evolve into and sooner than a lot of people want.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #199

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to really learn about campfires then try these places. They cook all meals on them. Nothing beats cooking your coffee in the morning and drinking it with anyone that stops by.
Wind River Country : Mountain Man 1838 Rendezvous Site

http://fortbridgerrendezvous.net/

1838 Rendezvous- Welcome
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #200

Here is the deal. If you don't like, or if campfires bother you. there are RV Resorts that don't allow them. Those would be your best bet. For those that do like them. Use Campgrounds that allow them.
For us. A RV Resort that does not allow a fire, is a deal breaker. We won't be there.
Having said that. There are times we don't build a fire. At the beach in July. A fire is not all that fun in 100 degree heat. So we don't have one. Rest of the time. A fire is a necessity.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #201

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan
Here is the deal. If you don't like, or if campfires bother you. there are RV Resorts that don't allow them. Those would be your best bet. For those that do like them. Use Campgrounds that allow them.
For us. A RV Resort that does not allow a fire, is a deal breaker. We won't be there.
Having said that. There are times we don't build a fire. At the beach in July. A fire is not all that fun in 100 degree heat. So we don't have one. Rest of the time. A fire is a necessity.
- and when a site comes with a fire ring and grill - you have paid to put the charcoal in the grill and your salmon or whatever you want to cook on it - and legal fire wood in the fire ring. Having someone tell you not to use them is like telling them not use the showers, water, dump, or any other amenity they paid for because it bothers you for whatever reason you provide. If we would do our homework and park em where we're happy with what's offered, it wouldn't be an issue. I don't believe I have ever seen a campfire where no fire rings were provided in the campground Or RV Park (beaches and boondocking excluded). If you have paid for a right, the right is yours, unless superseded by a burn or other ban. Don't tread on me works both ways.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I'm of the thought that campfires "can" be a useful part of the camping experience, however as I read these posts I'm beginning to think that most of the "pro" fire people belong to the Neanderthal group of humans
I am not against campfires necessarily but I am against selfish inconsiderate people.

The attitudes displayed on this board by people that love their campfires is moronic. How is this about liberals and California? (except haters have to make it that way)

Anyway I have to say I find propane much more problematic than wood fires. Consider what they are doing now to get 'propane' with all the fracking and the problems it leaves behind.

And I have to laugh because the poor people that are affected by the horrific fracking problems are the very ones who so adamantly support it.

So, trade all your ground water for a little natural gas. Mid-west earthquakes and sink holes the size of a neighborhood.

My personal opinion that the "campfire" of the future will most likely be built from a pile of LED lights and an electric fan fueled by solar-charged batteries.

I am sure the "wood people" will scream at that thought. Haha.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #203

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Very few campgrounds in AZ, NM, NV, etc allow campfires. There are a handful of propane ones. Most of the pleasant aromas are from gas and charcoal grills.
Just have to jump in here. So sorry to disagree, but I live in Az. Campfires are not always banned here. It is only during the driest months they are not allowed. The reason for the periodic campfire restrictions is that where other locales might have tornado season, we have fire season. A quick search on Yarnell Fire 2013 will help some of those not familiar with the geography and climate better understand.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post
Just have to jump in here. So sorry to disagree, but I live in Az. Campfires are not always banned here. It is only during the driest months they are not allowed. The reason for the periodic campfire restrictions is that where other locales might have tornado season, we have fire season. A quick search on Yarnell Fire 2013 will help some of those not familiar with the geography and climate better understand.
Agree. They are banned when I am there. Southern AZ. Snowbird, I am.

But have not been in an RV resort that allows campfires.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #205

iRV2 No Limits Club
"...Should spraying for mosquito's and other insects be banned because it isn't real camping?"

Don't be so smug, these activities ARE banned in some Florida State Parks!!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #206
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
AHEM! Thread Topic=camp fires

Anything else=& will further be subject to deletion since we've already asked everyone to stay on topic.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #207

Freightliner Owners Club
If your a campfire hater don't come to the Oregon/Washington coast. Every RV spot has a campfire pit. This is one of our fishing destinations in Washington and every RV spot has a campfire going plus campfires going down on the beach. Add the fireworks from the nearby Indian reservation and you've got a good smoky combination. This was July 4th so there were more campfires than normal. But, every night most all campers have their campfires going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	51429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	51430  

Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post

I'm of the thought that campfires "can" be a useful part of the camping experience, however as I read these posts I'm beginning to think that most of the "pro" fire people belong to the Neanderthal group of humans.

1. The incidence of transporting contaminated wood across state borders is a real concern - contrary to the mocking and sarcastic posts; you shouldn't do it PERIOD [moderator edit]

2. Very FEW people actually use a campfire to "cook" as the above poster has stated. Smores maybe but cooking meals is rare. Cooking on grills yes, wood fires no.

3. Propane fires/fire pits are the way of the future. No flying embers, no smoke, clean burning, etc., Propane fires WILL become the standard in the near future.

It always amazes me how resistant people are to changes, especially when it doesn't conform to how they have been doing things for "...years..."

For those of you who are adamant that wood fire burning campfire is essential to camping I have these questions for you....

...do you believe that toilet paper is for sissy's as well? Camping isn't really camping unless you're using leaf's and grass? Should porta potties be the only acceptable place for relieving oneself or do "real men" just use trees?

...Should spraying for mosquito's and other insects be banned because it isn't real camping?

...do you shun electricity at the campsite and rely only on Coleman lanterns for light?

But seriously folks there are too many irresponsible people and litigation costs will eventually result in the community fire (run by the campground) and propane pits in the future. It's what camping WILL evolve into and sooner than a lot of people want.
1. I agree with you 100 percent.

2. I think you would be very surprised, probably varies by geographical locations though but I'm in North Dakota and its very common to cook on them here. Not everyone does though.

3. Propane fires suck but if you want to use one I'm not gonna stop you because this is America!

I don't mind toilet paper but if I just gotta pee I use the trees.

Never been in a campsite that sprayed for bugs.

There actually are plenty of rustic campgrounds that don't have electricity but having a 5th wheel trailer I prefer electricity.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #209

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All those in favor of having iRV2 post awards changed from a campfire to a blue propane flame say I. Those opposed say No. The Nos have it.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
All those in favor of having iRV2 post awards changed from a campfire to a blue propane flame say I. Those opposed say No. The Nos have it.
Lol, you sir are correct! What's this country coming to when people think they can tell others they can't even build a fire, pretty sad if you ask me. Might just have to have another revolution and start this country over. If only the founding fathers could see it now, they would not be impressed.