Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
My personal opinion that the "campfire" of the future will most likely be built from a pile of LED lights and an electric fan fueled by solar-charged batteries.

I am sure the "wood people" will scream at that thought. Haha.
It's hard to make smores that way isn't it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post

It's hard to make smores that way isn't it?
In the future smores will be banned by the government, too much sugar.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #213

You know it is time for some hope and change I have had enough ove what is going on.

Now we got people thinking we cant even have a camp fire in a camp ground.

212 post about Camp Fires becoming thing of the past?

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance."

Benjamin Franklin

Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Lol, you sir are correct! What's this country coming to when people think they can tell others they can't even build a fire, pretty sad if you ask me. Might just have to have another revolution and start this country over. If only the founding fathers could see it now, they would not be impressed.
Seriously, that's what you're taking away from this?

I asked 3 times WHAT YOU WOULD DO if your fire was smoking me out, your response was WHAT I SHOULD DO.

That alone makes it obvious you feel no real responsibility for how you might affect those around you, it's their problem to deal with it the best they can. And I'm sure you're a real approachable guy, you'd love to have me come over and make suggestions on how to build a fire.

Moving from the sublime to the ridiculous you now invoke the founding fathers, even mentioning revolution because someone dares to suggest you consider others may not enjoy sitting in the smoke from your fire, or smelling it their RV for the next day or two?

Pretty well sum it up?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #215

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Moving from the sublime to the ridiculous you now invoke the founding fathers, even mentioning revolution because someone dares to suggest you consider others may not enjoy sitting in the smoke from your fire, or smelling it their RV for the next day or two?

Pretty well sum it up?
Oh I think that if the wind is blowing the smoke right into your unit almost all of us would take some action without your complaint. I wouldn't like that myself. What we are addressing is that a lot of folks don't want camp fires at all. If they can smell wood smoke they are upset.

If you want to come over and help me build a proper fire, COME ON OVER, bring a folding chair and stay awhile.

Some nights are just too windy for a fire when the smoke travels along the ground. On calm nights a good hot fire sends the smoke up and away from neighbors.

Common sense is the key, but if you are the dog in the manager, go elsewhere.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Oh I think that if the wind is blowing the smoke right into your unit almost all of us would take some action without your complaint. I wouldn't like that myself. What we are addressing is that a lot of folks don't want camp fires at all. If they can smell wood smoke they are upset.
My specific complaint from the beginning was those who are so inconsiderate they do smoke you out, and that does happen more than from just a wind shift. I was told to camp at Walmart, an upscale park, a trailer park. And the latest and greatest, it's time for a revolution.

Thank you for your reasoned response. I don't object to campfires in general, just inconsiderate campers who seem to believe any fire any time any where is a right not to be infringed. That attitude never works out well, but at the same time we never seem to learn to co-exist.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #217

Thumbs down camp fires

We sure do not enjoy the smell of smoke from a fire coming into our unit. Very inconsiderate.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post

Seriously, that's what you're taking away from this?

I asked 3 times WHAT YOU WOULD DO if your fire was smoking me out, your response was WHAT I SHOULD DO.

That alone makes it obvious you feel no real responsibility for how you might affect those around you, it's their problem to deal with it the best they can. And I'm sure you're a real approachable guy, you'd love to have me come over and make suggestions on how to build a fire.

Pretty well sum it up?
Well I can't control the wind sir. I likely wouldn't even be aware of the issue if it existed and you didn't come over and talk to me about it. In my campfire building experience the smoke mostly goes up and swirls around a little bit going in every direction if you are in trees with a light breeze. There is also very little smoke when tending a fire properly. When I build a fire I intend to cook on it and sit around it and my camper is far closer to my fire than your camper and I don't want smoke in mine any more than you do in yours. I do not build fires when its windy. And if the smoke is blowing towards my camper I close the windows. If there is a problem and you approach me and let me know it's bothering you I will do my very best to rectify the situation. I do not know what sort of campfire smoke intensity you are referring to as I've never experienced a neighbors smoke so bad it bothered me but if you are talking about normal smoke from a good burning fire I'd have to say you're out of luck and probably should stick to camping at places that don't allow fires if it bothers you that much. If on the other hand you are talking about a poor fire with big pieces of wet wood or something that is just sitting there smoldering with heavy smoke blowing in your direction and not even really burning with actual flame then I would say you have every right to be upset about it, however I've never seen seen that situation personally but have only been camping a few weekends a summer for about 15 years. I won't say it doesn't exist as there certainly all kinds of people out there but everyone I know who camps with a fire hates that type of fire just as much as you do.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
I likely wouldn't even be aware of the issue if it existed and you didn't come over and talk to me about it.
That's probably the case with most campers.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #220

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's raining here in So Cal so I checked out this thread to see how it was coming along.
My goodness, It reads like an episode of GRUMPY OLD MEN.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
That's probably the case with most campers.
Indeed, never been to a campground where you were looking at your neighbors, they all have trees that are made of wood that we burn in our campfires in between the campsites!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
It seems there are places where fires are allowed and places where they are not. If you don't want to be around one, don't go where they are allowed. If they are allowed and you choose to stay there, don't complain. It's that simple.

There is camping and there is living or staying in an RV. This is my idea of a campfire.

P.S. All the fires in these photos are from deafall,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0093.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	51527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0386.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	51528  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sno-Down 08' 008.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	51529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0092.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	51530  

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I'm of the thought that campfires "can" be a useful part of the camping experience, however as I read these posts I'm beginning to think that most of the "pro" fire people belong to the Neanderthal group of humans.

1. The incidence of transporting contaminated wood across state borders is a real concern - contrary to the mocking and sarcastic posts; you shouldn't do it PERIOD [moderator edit]

2. Very FEW people actually use a campfire to "cook" as the above poster has stated. Smores maybe but cooking meals is rare. Cooking on grills yes, wood fires no.

3. Propane fires/fire pits are the way of the future. No flying embers, no smoke, clean burning, etc., Propane fires WILL become the standard in the near future.

It always amazes me how resistant people are to changes, especially when it doesn't conform to how they have been doing things for "...years..."

For those of you who are adamant that wood fire burning campfire is essential to camping I have these questions for you....

...do you believe that toilet paper is for sissy's as well? Camping isn't really camping unless you're using leaf's and grass? Should porta potties be the only acceptable place for relieving oneself or do "real men" just use trees?

...Should spraying for mosquito's and other insects be banned because it isn't real camping?

...do you shun electricity at the campsite and rely only on Coleman lanterns for light?

But seriously folks there are too many irresponsible people and litigation costs will eventually result in the community fire (run by the campground) and propane pits in the future. It's what camping WILL evolve into and sooner than a lot of people want.
Folks that don't like campfires. Could, and maybe should go to motels. Camping is too good for them.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #224

Here you go

Here is the solution, if you want a campfire you got. Now those that don't can be happy as well.

Camco 58031 "Little Red Campfire" Propane Camp Fire : Amazon.com : Automotive
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote