Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
If we can we try and go where we can build fires. It's important the grand kids can learn how it's done for safety reasons and for the enjoyment. I was a scout leader for years and I made it a point to make sure every boy new how to build and tend to a proper camp fire. The vast majority of "city" campers don't have a clue. Now pass me the marshmallows.
Depends what "clue" you're talking about.

If I was going to be a contestant on "Survivor", then, yes, being able to start a fire would be a valuable skill. However, since I'm not going to be on the show, I rank fire starting skill on the same level as growing my own wheat.

Anyway, from the way some of you talk, a better more practical skill might be how to properly extinguish a fire.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #254

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Depends what "clue" you're talking about.

If I was going to be a contestant on "Survivor", then, yes, being able to start a fire would be a valuable skill. However, since I'm not going to be on the show, I rank fire starting skill on the same level as growing my own wheat.

Anyway, from the way some of you talk, a better more practical skill might be how to properly extinguish a fire.
And that my friends is where your smoky fire is coming from!!

Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post

Yup, lol!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Good one!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #257

Girl Scouts Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
. . . it's bad enough everyone has luxury trailers and call it camping but complaining about campfires is ridiculous, if you don't like the activities associated with camping then you shouldn't go camping. Having a campfire is the main part of camping where I live. Lots of people cook over them and roast marshmallows and make smores for the kids.
About roasting marshmallows . . .

Whilst walking on the beach yesterday, I discovered a whole bunch of blackened coat hangers around several old fire pits.

What idiot(s) would leave long, sharp pieces of metal on a public beach? Marshmallow Roasting Stick

Ah, another great tradition! Remember to bring those cardboard tubes, kids!

Looks like some merit badges need to be recalled.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #258

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remember Dennis?

One of my favorite endings to a movie was the "Dennis the menace" movie. Dennis is roasting a marshmellow when it catch's on fire. He try's to put the flame out by whipping the stick back and forth and then it flies off the stick and proceeds to stick (still on fire) to Mr. Wilson's forehead. Classic Dennis.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
About roasting marshmallows . . .

Whilst walking on the beach yesterday, I discovered a whole bunch of blackened coat hangers around several old fire pits.

What idiot(s) would leave long, sharp pieces of metal on a public beach? Marshmallow Roasting Stick

Ah, another great tradition! Remember to bring those cardboard tubes, kids!

Looks like some merit badges need to be recalled.
Haha, Damn girl scouts anyway! I used to go cut my own off a tree or find one that fell off back when I was tenting it but now that I have a camper and ample storage I use bamboo ones and then burn them when I'm done. Great for shish kabobs, weenies, marshmellows or whatever else you wanna grill on the end of a stick.

Leaving trash behind is not cool anywhere you go, unfortunately some people don't pick up after themselves though, they need to be slapped.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #260

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
One of my favorite endings to a movie was the "Dennis the menace" movie. Dennis is roasting a marshmellow when it catch's on fire. He try's to put the flame out by whipping the stick back and forth and then it flies off the stick and proceeds to stick (still on fire) to Mr. Wilson's forehead. Classic Dennis.
Too funny!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #261

Quote:
i like the scene in Wild Hogs when the one guy flicks the burning marshmellow off the stick and it lands on their tent and catches it all on fire.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #262

Difference between Camping, and staying in a Mobil Home. . CAMPFIRES

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #263

I love the smell of camp fires and my wife is allergic to smoke. We have a big burn pit where we live and fires are not rare especially when we have company. One issue in crowded campgrounds are the people who throw their unburnables in the fire and then leave it unattended to smolder away with a nasty stink.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #264

Country Coach Owners Club
Quite the lively discussion. I have back packed and camped at a minimum to just recently gone to a DP. We generally do not "camp" in the asphalt jungle. Last year we went to Silverton CO. Stayed 100 yds from the Animos river. Between nieces ,nephews and friends kids had a bunch. It was hard weening them of the tit of the flat screen and internet. We had a nice camp fire which we did smores and all the campfire favorites and then got the to get creative. They did popcorn and a bunch of recipes the DW found. After that the kids wanted a fire very night. It was nice talking and sharing stories. Much better than movies and video games IMHO. I love sitting out by the fire.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #265

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV parks are not camping. They are more like short term mobile home parks. We stay away from them as much as possible. We have a large fire pit at home and use it most of the summer. When we camp we have wood fires. When we grill we use wood chips and charcoal not propane.

Others like the RV parks. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't confuse them with camping.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #266

Yes, very true RV parks are not camping. However, I have tent camped all the way back in the late 40s. In my mid 70s hiking or horse back riding back into the wilds just doesn't inspire me any more. Living on a ranch in rural WY with my nearest neighbor a mile away gives me all the country I need. I go to the city, stay in nice RV parks and wine and dine in restaurants they don't have here in the country.