Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #15

If you haven't had aggs and bacon cooked on an open fire you have not lived!

homeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
Sure would be nice if they did ban them. They stink.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, never saw a Boy Scout carrying a propane bottle

Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of my favorite memories are brought back by the smells associated with camping - campfires, citronella and Coleman fuel.
Not all who wander are lost.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
If I could bend my knees like "homeless" there and still get back up again I'd still be doing it. Can't get there from here anymore :-)
Old West Lore- White man fire vs Indian fire.
Indian use small very dry twigs with no smoke, just big enough to cook piece of meat under trees to dissipate any smoke, White man fire can be seen for 20 miles with enough smoke to fill valley. :-)
Indian never stare at fire at night, ruins night vision.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
Trans-fats are soon to be banned nationwide. Can campfires be be far behind?
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Personally really like to have a campfire, some parks have the fire rings so close to the sites it's impractical.
Others do not allow or have a communal fire area.
For some it seems the glow of the tv has replaced the campfire, we have been in campgrounds where it seems like we are the only ones outside our RV.
It would be sad if fires disappeared altogether but I could see it happening.
cgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
Freightliner Owners Club
Wizard - you haven't camped with a Boy Scout in a while! On high adventure, all we can use is propane, butane or white gas!

However when the Scouts camp at West Point, we still are able to make a campfire!

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Wizard - you haven't camped with a Boy Scout in a while! On high adventure, all we can use is propane, butane or white gas!

However when the Scouts camp at West Point, we still are able to make a campfire!

Now thats a fire, I don't care where you are from!
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
Sure would be nice if they did ban them. They stink.

Ya know what really stinks? Diesel Pushers
WIT# 34347
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
Love the smell of a camp fire. Its not camping to me without one.
No matter how hot it is I always build a fire, just part of camping.
Would not camp where they would not let me build a fire as a general rule. I know there may be some times special reasons not to build a fire and that's different.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As with MOST things nowadays -
others are trying to dictate what they think is 'right' for us.....

We too hate campfires (unless camping!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	49770  
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
Had a campfire last eve. Here at Lake Tawkoni State park Tx.
Hopefully another this eve. 25 here tonight .hope the wind goes down.
John and Susan 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U-41'.
2011 Honda CRV Toad Our rescue dog Annie.Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What is camping if you don't have a campfire??? Love the smell, just don't like when the smoke burns my eyes. LOL Some of the best conversations have taken place around a campfire. Met some great folks around a campfire. I can watch tv anytime, I can't sit with friends around a campfire as much. When we traveled west of the Mississippi, we were so disappointed with all the burn bans all the way to CA. But with all the lack of rain and forest fires, we understood. Didn't like it but certainly would not want to be the one who started a forest fire. I have alergies too, but it doesn't stop me. We have a portable stand for a fire, but prefer our fire on the ground in a fire circle.
When we first started camping when the children were young, we tent camped. Everything was cooked over a campfire. Food just taste better cooked over a fire. I could go on and on, but needless to say, I Love a Campfire!!!
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #28

Like a lot of things, campfires are going away because of a careless few. The problem is that everyone isn't a responsible campfire maker / user. Too many wildfires started by the careless disposal of embers (not just campfires, but, a lot of CGs are banning grills that use charcoal) or the insistance of some to burn their trash (most of which won't burn) and then leave the mess behind. We were in Montana when half the state was veiled in smoke and we couldn't see the mountains from our campsite because of the "fog"...so many wildfires out west that year (almost every year now...).

While I prefer a real campfire over my Campfire-in-a-Can, I've gotten accustomed to using it. The fire, if the LP is turned down, looks realistic enough (minus the smoke) and I've done hotdogs and s'mores on it and it is allowed even during open fire bans. In a CG devoid of open fires, the Campfire-in-a-Can draws campers just like moths to a flame; any fire is better than none. I've found the cost of running it no less objectionalbe than the cost of buying a few sticks of wood at a lot of the camggrounds. As others said, I suppose you could just only go to CGs that allow them, but, there will be fewer of them each year and when an area (even a whole state) bans open fires because of the wildfire danger, then it doesn't really matter where you are. The nicest thing about the Campfire-in-a-Can (or any other pseudo campfire) is that open fire bans don't apply to them since they are just a propane grill without the grill part. When we were out in Montana and Wyoming, no open fires were allowed, even the communal ones, but, there was one lone 5er with a "campfire" and about 20 other "visitors" gathered around our Campfire-in-a-Can saying "Well, it is better than nothing, can you pass me another beer?" Just a sign of the times.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote