Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #267

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Yes, very true RV parks are not camping. However, I have tent camped all the way back in the late 40s. In my mid 70s hiking or horse back riding back into the wilds just doesn't inspire me any more. Living on a ranch in rural WY with my nearest neighbor a mile away gives me all the country I need. I go to the city, stay in nice RV parks and wine and dine in restaurants they don't have here in the country.
XX2 from country folks up in Washington.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #268

Memorable fire

My wife and i rented a class c and went to Bristol to the race one spring. Boy was it cold. The heat went off in the middle of the night. It was so cold inside there was ice on the inside window,we were under plenty of blankets. As i saw out it looked light the sun had come up i didnt worry too much. As i wiped the window and hoped to see the sun. Well aint no sun but someone had set the porta potty on fire ,explains the glow ,you know.
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeau54 View Post
My wife and i rented a class c and went to Bristol to the race one spring. Boy was it cold. The heat went off in the middle of the night. It was so cold inside there was ice on the inside window,we were under plenty of blankets. As i saw out it looked light the sun had come up i didnt worry too much. As i wiped the window and hoped to see the sun. Well aint no sun but someone had set the porta potty on fire ,explains the glow ,you know.
HAHAHAHA! That's awesome
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #270

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This has nothing (yet) to do with campfires. but recently the EPA made a rule change that prohibits the sale and manufacturer of something like 80% of the wood stoves that used to be sold in the United States.

The wood burners still approved have particulate filters on them so they bag the fly ash. At least that is my understanding.

I'm kind of wondering if campfire rings can be far behind. I mean, they do not have particulate filters so....

On another forum this sparked a lively discussion.. Since I've said all I have to say about it. I can not tell you what was said. This I will say:

When my wife was alive she liked campfires. I like building them, I like sitting around them, I do not like tending them.. (Wife did that) so we got along well. Since she crashed and died,,, I have not built a campfire.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #271

In some parts of Wash state on islands I heard you need a permit for wood fire in your fire place. However was in So CA RV park and neidgbor had an old washing machine tub and great fire in the evenings. I agree, wine, cheese and a warm fire is hard to beat.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #272

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Well aint no sun but someone had set the porta potty on fire ,explains the glow ,you know.
Hopefully you were not down wind of it.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #273

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I noticed at the start of this thread I will comment on.

"A flame is a flame" Meaing the poster saw no significant difference (Danger wise) between a propane fire and a wood fire.

The difference is fly-ash.. A wood fire gives off ash, hot ash and sparks that can escape the fire ring unless a proper spark supressor is applied, and a propane fire does not do this. In a dry, "high fire hazard" conditions that is a big, big, big difference.

On a somewhat related issue: The EPA just disapproved 80% of the wood burning stoves sold in America, it is now illegal to sell or manufacture those wood burners. (you may still use one if you own it). My question: Can fire rings be far behind?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #274

The epa wants to outlaw your car too [moderator edit].
Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #275

Thor Owners Club
That's the world we live in, a rule or regulation for everything.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #276

National RV Owners Club
I like the occasional campfire but I am also a practical man too. Campfires were much more relevant 40 years ago when tenting was more common (at least in my life). They provided heat, light and social nexus around which people could cluster. While those things are still relevant in some cases, in many they are not and they can also be a focus for the asinine. Not 4 days ago, I was in an Oregon State Park with a group of campers next to our site. They wanted a fire, they had a fire. Problem was that they didn't want to pay for wood from the host, guess where they got it? They were behind their campsite with a hatchet, chopping away and generally doing damage in a sensitive dune environment. The wood was wet of course so on went the petroleum based fire starter to get it going. This was a 40 something couple with 3 middling aged kids. What lessons were they teaching them do you suppose.
Campfires are a bit of a luxury these days. The odd one here and there can be nostalgic and even fun but they really aren't an every day necessity and people need to make sure that their bit of fun is in keeping with the environments that they profess to love and want to continue to enjoy. Fires need to be an appropriate size. They need to burn the appropriate materials, people need to pay attention to the general conditions around for safety and so on. Too often that doesn't happen. It isn't much of surprise when you see the kinds of situations like I just described that some want to say just ban them and that will settle it. I am not that extreme but wood craft is a skill and has responsibilities attached to it. Those of us who like campfires would do well to influence and educate where possible if we want to continue to be able to enjoy this perk of the outdoors.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #277

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
That's the world we live in, a rule or regulation for everything.
I do nof believe in falling into step with "that's the word we live in...". We can make changes such as reducing governmental control and return to USA principles that have personal decision making values as the tune to step to.
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post

I do nof believe in falling into step with "that's the word we live in...". We can make changes such as reducing governmental control and return to USA principles that have personal decision making values as the tune to step to.
Exactly. The British colonists who settled in America didn't fall into step and we shouldn't either!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #279

Vintage RV Owners Club
To me it is just not camping without a fire and marshmallows. That said camping is boondoggling or a camp site-not a camping/trailer park with slabs and sites side by side.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #280

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post
Exactly...if everything is regulated we stop thinking for ourselves such as what's an appropriate camp fire...hard to believe there are people that have no clue how to build a fire......I have my own stock of 4 year old wood that is as a dry can be. Burns clean, no smoke.....There's more than a few camp grounds that no longer allow fires....liability and one less thing to worry about I guess.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote