Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Still going strong where we camp.
I realise the post was tongue in cheek, but those sort of roaring bonfires are exactly the reason why they are not allowed in many places. Destruction of habitat by collecting wood indiscriminately, plus huge areas heat sterilised and ugly for the next 20 years, plus often cans and bottles threown in, not to mention total lack of consideration for other campers who may not appreciate themselves and their rigs smelling like an incinerator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
During the colder months we love to have a fire. It makes having a cup of coffee on a cool morning a true pleasure.

However, wood for camp fires has gotten really expensive at the camp grounds. We know you can't bring in wood from outside areas due to transporting non-native critters. If we're going to be in the campground for a few days or more, on the way in we go to a convenience store and get a buck saver, or dollar trader or some such publication and look up local firewood sales. We make arrangements to meet them later that day or the next and buy as many bundles as we think we can use. The last time I bought wood from a local guy he was charging $3.50/bundle, and each bundle included kindling pieces, medium pieces and bigger logs, as well as a fire starter wax in a paper cup thingy. Awesome!

virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No to wood burning campfires. As we have aged we have some problems. I particularly have come up with allergies. Wood burning fires really get to me bad time. My head gets all stuffed up and makes a miserable night trying to sleep. Our lungs can't take it anymore and has led to hospital visits. So for us no campfire is a good campfire. We do like the newer approach to the propane campfires. We seem good with those.

So when you criticize those of us that do not like campfires, please take into considerations that others have medical problems that cannot be controlled. Should we just give up our lifestyle of RV'ing because we cannot take a campfire? Be reasonable. We live with the campfire builders and i hope when we mention something about the massive amounts of smoke blowing our way that they understand and have some consideration for our concerns and our same freedoms. You have the right to build a campfire in those areas that they are allowed. We have the right to breath fresh air. Let's compromise.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, never saw a Boy Scout carrying a propane bottle
Yup! You are right BUT they did not go in the coach and take off there clothes that reeks from the smoke either, and 30+ years of fire fighting got all the smoke smell I need!
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
No to wood burning campfires. As we have aged we have some problems. I particularly have come up with allergies. Wood burning fires really get to me bad time. My head gets all stuffed up and makes a miserable night trying to sleep. Our lungs can't take it anymore and has led to hospital visits. So for us no campfire is a good campfire. We do like the newer approach to the propane campfires. We seem good with those.

So when you criticize those of us that do not like campfires, please take into considerations that others have medical problems that cannot be controlled. Should we just give up our lifestyle of RV'ing because we cannot take a campfire? Be reasonable. We live with the campfire builders and i hope when we mention something about the massive amounts of smoke blowing our way that they understand and have some consideration for our concerns and our same freedoms. You have the right to build a campfire in those areas that they are allowed. We have the right to breath fresh air. Let's compromise.

I do love a good camp fire. I never even thought about anyone being allergic to a campfire. I know some complain about the smell and such but I never thought the problem could be medical. Thanks for the insight. I will be more careful in the future.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last winter I had not one, not two but THREE different portable fire devices in this RV (Still have 2) one is a propane fire, and we have used it both at a "Tailgate" event (Trunk or treat) and at a camp-out when a traditional fire would have been discouraged.. Great "ice breaker" for making friends, well worth the cost.

The one I have is a tray full of, I think vermiculite with artifical logs on top (optional) that hooks to my luggable propane (or to the RV with the Extend-a-stay and the proper adapters)

I really do not like using it as I don't like paying for gas.

The next is a Pit-2-Go, I'm not sure this one is being made any more but it is a square box, the fire pit is elevated so the grass below it does not burn, it has grates, can be used with coal or wood. but most important IT HAS A MESH TOP, you can lay on it to grill fish or supress sparks Embers and sparks can't (in theory) pass the grid, In practice I am not so sure but ... hey, works for fish and other flaky foods.

This one is kind of heavy and no longer made

#3 was a common fire ring from Wal-mart, on sale, I think I paid 10 bucks.. I got it cause it's way lighter and easier to set up and even if it don't last long,, I got my money's worth (As it turns out I did). Then before I could use it my wife put the jeep into a tree and my reason for building campfires... Was no more (Said wife).. She got one last fire (Cremation) and that's all.

So.. A group of 3 (1 man, 2 women, 1 child) "moved in" across the road from me in the campground... Nice folks.. Though not the kind campers are likely to make friends with. I mean he is kind of a "Hippy type" but really nice and responsible, both women have "issues" (his girlfriend is what a therapist might well call "My new summer cottage" and thus on SSI). an old class C he is rebuilding the hard way (bv himself)... There was no fire ring on their site so I gave them that 3rd one.. And we had several chats.. A few dinners shared and the like.. Like I said, Real nice people.. I got my money's worth out of that cheap ring and then some.

I have tried to search Pit-2-Go on the web but it appears they are no more.

If I ever find a new traveling companion (Fair chance I will) I may have to build campfires for her like I did my wife... Or not, depending on her choices.

You see, one of the reasons wife and I worked out.. She likes to sit around a campfire and has no problems tending it.. I like to sit around them if there is a decent size group. epically if there are five, six or 12 strings properly stretched and plucked or strummed and some singing (Which is my musical skill) I also like building them.

I don't like tending them.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is really bad about some campers and fires is the wood they bring in to burn....all kinds of scraps and it smokes and smell awful. If you notice they always set upwind.

Next problem are the ones that have a fire burning before the RV is completely set up and they leave it all night and still burning when they pull out. I do not know the number of fires I have gone over and properly extinguished when the fire bugs leave.

Then there are the ones that burn all of their garbage ...beer cans, paper plates, etc in the fire ring.

Off the soap box now....

Ken
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #36

Campfires often turn out to be Bonfires. Were we camp fire rings are placed to keep open flames away from trees, brush, etc. and contain the actual 'size' of the fire. I'm perfectly content with a 3' fire ring/fire and don't really need a 10' tall, 5' stack of flaming wood and/or other flammable items.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

You are quite right, and I'm sorry I never thought about smoke causing medical issues for some. I have asthma, but smoke doesn't trigger it. If I'm ever camping near you, please let me know that smoke is a problem and I'll do without a camp fire. I can "borrow" a fire away from you for my marshmallows and s'mores!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Until Wayne mentioned it, I also did not realize they could make you sick. My Grandparents and Great Aunts and Uncles cooked with wood, coal, corn cobs, cow chips, in stove in the kitchen. I remember seeing them use it to this day. Of course that all gets vented out.
We have asthmatics in our family and non of them every seemed to have issue with the campfires, yet we always sit away from the smoke if possible and some times have to move around a little bit. Our fires are always away from any other campers and if the winds are going to a neighbor we do not burn. Fortunately most evenings the winds are calm. Being a good neighbor goes a long way and thanks Wayne for the added insight we will be that much more diligent in our fires as long as we are allowed to have them. Perhaps CG's should have area's set aside for those campers who want to have fires and areas set aside that are smoke free.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Obviously there are people that don't need to be around smoke for health reasons. Then there are those that it just wouldn't be camping without a fire, I being one of the latter. I think it would be great if campgrounds had a section for no fires and another for those that want them. That way everybody can be happy. I hate when you start a fire thinking all is good and then the wind suddenly changes direction and is going right toward your neighbor. Not knowing how they feel about a fire, you always feel uncomfortable with it blowing toward someone else's sight. I always say something and there is always the guy around the fire that says "oh who cares". I for one can't even enjoy a fire if I even think I might be bothering someone. I once had a guy come over and loudly proclaim how offended he was by the campfire yet that night he had one of those grills that hooks on the side of his motorhome and was grilling some greasy burgers while all the smoke from the grill was pouring into the open window and door of his MH. That he didn't seem to mind.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like some of the people here want us to turn on the outside TV and put a yule log video on!
(We don't have either so we make do with a real fire!)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I do understand why certain places and certain times of the year they are banned.
I also understand why there is more restrictions.

A few years ago I work camped in No. Cali. At least 20 times that summer I had to put
out fires that were left burning, not just smoldering but flames.

However I love a camp fire on a lot of evenings. When we are camping up around Libby Creek Mt. I love to get up early build a fire. Get it going while the coffee is
going on the coleman.

I have so many memories of Mom and Dad around the camp fire especialy in Fairbanks
in the mid '60s.

I have stayed at some asphalt rv parks not camping as said earlier. Not much different than staying at Motel six. Other than its my own bed.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
During the colder months we love to have a fire. It makes having a cup of coffee on a cool morning a true pleasure.

However, wood for camp fires has gotten really expensive at the camp grounds. We know you can't bring in wood from outside areas due to transporting non-native critters. If we're going to be in the campground for a few days or more, on the way in we go to a convenience store and get a buck saver, or dollar trader or some such publication and look up local firewood sales. We make arrangements to meet them later that day or the next and buy as many bundles as we think we can use. The last time I bought wood from a local guy he was charging $3.50/bundle, and each bundle included kindling pieces, medium pieces and bigger logs, as well as a fire starter wax in a paper cup thingy. Awesome!
At our favorite campground they want $5 a bundle of about 6 pieces, then, if you leave it they come around and collect it when you leave. DW and I asked what they did with it (thinking they re-bundled it to sell). Turns out they give it to some of the long term campers over in another section of the park. Now, if they really do that or not we have no way of knowing, but it made a good story!
I save my tree cuttings and split tree trunks and load them in the van when we go. Our favorite campground is only 50 miles away so no problem bringing your own wood.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote