Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

#3 was a common fire ring from Wal-mart, on sale, I think I paid 10 bucks.. I got it cause it's way lighter and easier to set up and even if it don't last long,, I got my money's worth (As it turns out I did). Then before I could use it my wife put the jeep into a tree and my reason for building campfires... Was no more (Said wife).. She got one last fire (Cremation) and that's all.
That must be hard to talk about.

Sorry to hear!!!

The DW is having severe health problems now and we're afraid to get too far away from emergency services now.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #44

Smoke from a campfire is like perfume to the senses. Camping and campfires just go hand in hand. What really sucks and should be permanently banned everywhere is smoke from cigarettes. Cigarette smoke stinks. It's really offensive to be in a public place or building and be forced to breath that stuff.

When open fires aren't banned, we see that the majority of RV-ers in campgrounds love to have a fire. It's a bummer when the fire season is in effect and your only alternative is a propane fire.

BC has a long outdoor burn ban in the summer months. But we've been in Oregon and Washington in the summer and been able to have a fire. Seems odd. We were camping in Ocean Shores, Wa. in August next to the ocean and you could only use a portable fire pit with a screen on it. Then we moved across the street to another cg that was away from the water and open fires were no problem. Not sure why. The metro Vancouver area has a ban on burning outdoors all year (except for a fall and spring period for yard waste) due to air quality. We used to get extremely dense fog here until they banned burning.

Canadians can't take split firewood into the US. We go to a pallet recycling place in Washington and buy pallet pieces that have been already cut into firewood size pieces. No issues crossing the border with it either way. We filled our truck (long bed) for $50 and packed it in real tight. We've got 2-3 years supply for just $50. Forget buying those stupid little bundles of a few sticks of firewood wrapped in cellophane. What ripoff mafia prices!

The secret to a successful fire is to use dry wood and burn it laying on the ground. Don't try burning it on a raised grate because the wood won't get hot enough. Both of these will cause a lot more smoke. But if you still get smoke in your face, just say "white rabbit" 3 times and it will go away....

As a kid growing up, we spent a lot of time in the outdoors at the family cabin and campfires and the smoke is a special thing to me. Bring on the weenies and marshmallows!

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer
Smoke from a campfire is like perfume....
Local BBQ joint in nearby town - smoker going and smelling great! Asked the guy what he was making. His reply. Nothing. Local health ordinance - no outside cooking in this city zone. But I can fire it up. Best advertisement money can buy!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #46

A campfire is okay. 100 campfires in a 2-3 acre crowded campground can be downright horrible. Especially when over half of them are not burning hot.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #47

This society has gotten where the 2% controls what the 98% can do and that is wrong.
I build campfires. I enjoy it.
On the otherhand, i can be neighborly, too. A simple discussion wifh a neighboring camper goes a lot farther than banning campfires for everyone.
Believe me, i understand the 2%. Have you ever attended a potluck party and have one of your guests not able to participate because of food allergies and type 1 diabetes? I have a daughter that deals with that very regularly.

Let's not burn the forest to save a tree.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's becoming really tiresome to listen to all those who would alter the habits of the 98% to suit their own needs and desires. It is PC running amuck! If you are allergic to smoke why the heck are you camping in an area that allows campfires in the first place. Are you there just to impose your will on others so you can feel powerful? Get a LIfe!

Camping has always involved camp fires. That is until the PC crowd started camping. Sixty years ago, when I was just a kid our School Principal used to take a group of twenty or more boys for week end campouts. The best part was cooking over an open fire. I will never forget those trips.

I have a close friend that is allergic to almost everything. He can't even stand the aroma of onions cooking. I make it a point not to invade his space and force my likes on him, and he has the courtesy to not do the same to me. We have been friends for years.

There are many many RV Parks that do not allow campfires. Okay, go there. I won't go there and demand a camp fire. Okay?

Went to a Town Board Meeting last night. This is rural farm community. There are two women that attend every meeting. They pass out literature and video tape every one who speaks. They moved here from the burbs. They should go back. They got an ordinance passed that the farmers cannot idle their tractors or trucks because they are diesel. The burbs do that to eliminate noise. I have no idea why the farmers are worried about noise.

Way too much of this going on.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
I believe the word "campfire" was derived from the word "camping" simple to understand, some like it some don't, some campground's don't allow them, most do. Park your RV accordingly to your needs and desires. No laws on fires other than "fire bans" from time to time but.......there are laws on this 2008 Idle Laws by State
Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I realise the post was tongue in cheek, but those sort of roaring bonfires are exactly the reason why they are not allowed in many places. Destruction of habitat by collecting wood indiscriminately, plus huge areas heat sterilised and ugly for the next 20 years, plus often cans and bottles threown in, not to mention total lack of consideration for other campers who may not appreciate themselves and their rigs smelling like an incinerator.

Once you find your man pants, maybe you should have asked where we made such a fire. This is a private air field where it is owned and taken care of by private individuals. All the campers look forward to the contest during the weekend and the very large bonfires we have at night. I truly appreciate the fact that you also believe since we make large bonfires that we just throw our trash everywhere in a drunken stupor. However that is not true. During dinner hours we start a smaller fire in the same pit for chicken roast, or other cooking.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #51
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

but.......there are laws on this 2008 Idle Laws by State
Seriously, you are comparing California and city ordinances to rural farm communities?

Are you really serious?
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Seriously, you are comparing California and city ordinances to rural farm communities?

Are you really serious?
The "FEDERAL" or "State" law does not seperate rural to citys, every state is different. Lets not go ,I just posted the link for reading and personal learning. And yes, I am serious.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #53
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, please cut out the personal attacks and remember the first rule of iRV2: "Be nice to others". Thanks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #54

Here in oklahoma we still have campfires. We have one going right now. Had neighbors at the next campsite over for roasted marshmallows last night. It really hard, even for full timers like us not to have the camping experience without a campfire.
Rollingzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #55
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Folks, please cut out the personal attacks and remember the first rule of iRV2: "Be nice to others". Thanks.
I don't believe my post was considered in the personal attack venue. It is hard to understand when one is asking for compromise that there are 98% that will say, "Damn with others, I'll do as I please!"

So with that, let's all call ahead and ask if campfires are allowed or not allowed, then each of us can make a choice. I don't think that is going to happen. Other than local regulations there are not to many that offer camp fire free environment. My post was to show how others could react to smoke. We recently attended a rally at Miller's Creek in Johnson City, TX. They had an indoor firepit, properly installed and chimney ventilated via an upward funnel. We could sit around that and chat all night because the smoke was ventilated away and up. So we are not adverse to campfires, but to the smoke that certain fires tend to put out, whether green wood, improper ventilation or camp fire builders that just don't know what they are doing. The post was to point out, as some have stated they had not thought of, reasons for people not liking smoke. I'm allergic to mold and grass but i don't call ahead to check if a camp ground is without those elements. I'm also allergic to pollens and depending on the tree the wood was obtained, allergy symptoms can appear from the smoke of the burning wood. Trust me, I try very hard not to be exposed to campfires smoke.

We cope with it by shutting the windows and turning the AC on to filter the inside air. Unfortunately when it is 40 degrees outside it is difficult to have the AC running and be comfortable.

One solution is to move away when smoke is blowing in my direction. When in an RV that is many times not only an impractical thing but depending on the occupancy of the park, impossible. it is also improbable that at 10:00 p.m at night one is going to pull up and move to a different campground, if one can be found.

Consider that smoke is a big nasal and lung irritant and it does not matter if you have an allergy or not. Prolonged inhalation of smoke can be damaging to your health.

Stay healthy, please.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #56

Seems as if there are a lot of people still living in the past when there was a 100 million people sharing the natural resources of the USA in a time when there was almost no regard for long-term environmental issues.

Now there are 300 million people with more spare time and more money trying to spend their leisure times in an area that is actually shrinking. Of course there has to be loss of many freedoms that used to exist in all aspect of daily life so why can't those trying to hang on to the past realise that things have to change. Campfires are just one of those things.
But fires are no different to loud music, rampaging kids and pets, and late night noise in campgrounds. There are those who consider their neighbours and those who don't give a toss about anyone but themselves and see no problem with demanding that 20 people be especially tolerant just so one person can be inconsiderate.

James , it is pretty obvious from your over-reaction to my non-criticism of your actions that you do in fact realise that your private land really needs to be treated more considerately by you and your friends. It is never too late to start looking after the assets that you hold in trust for future generations.