Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #57

As I am one person among many who is allergic to smoke, I hope all campgrounds will outlaw campfires. It seems no matter where I park the wind and smoke comes in my direction. I always try to get a space upwind but the wind ends up shifting direction. I am a full timer and have no choice but to use campgrounds.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #58

Just my humble opinion---

Been a camper for over 50 years, since I was a Tenderfoot Boy Scout. For almost 15 years until recently I served as a BSA Adult Leader and am also Woodbadge trained and a former Staffer. (Woodbadge is Advanced Adult BSA Training. Being a Staffer means I was teaching the Woodbadge course to other adults.)

Boy Scouts are trained to make and use fires with a variety of materials. This comes via "book learning" and actual camping experiences, and is supplemented by special instruction such as "Leave No Trace" (on the environment). All Scouts are taught that wood-based fires can facilitate cooking, baking, and heating. They also know such fires be used for decorative and ceremonial purposes and that non-wood fires can also facilitate cooking, baking, and heating.

Another component of the training deals with creating awareness that in locations where a spark can ignite an unwanted fire, where wood is scarce or protected, where smoke endangers or threatens the health of adjacent campers, or where materials (water, sand, etc.) to ensure that a fire can be fully extinguished are not available, it makes sense not to use wood.

Wood fires are beautiful. They are just not suitable for every situation or circumstance.

Best Wishes--Carl
Atlanta, GA

Old 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I enjoy campfires. There are some campers who have an unattended campfire on for a long time and it just produces smoke that stays close to the ground and very little flames. A hot fire will have smoke that rises quickly. Some of those campers do not extinguish their fires when they leave the campsite or go to bed. I think we all have to be aware of our neighbors wether it be smoke, noise or walking thru other people's space. Most campers will fix the problem if you nicely bring it to their attention. However many campsites are not very large and it is impossible to keep smoke or noise contained. I try to avoid these CGs.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #60
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look folks, if all the campgrounds outlawed campfires, a lot of them would go broke. A majority of folks go for the camping experience simply because they can be outdoors rouging it.

I'm not referring to you folks with the all electric MHs or the big fancy rigs, I'm speaking of the families that come out to the campground and pitch a tent or a pop up. For them the experience includes cooking over the fire and sitting around it and singing songs, ect. Not sitting inside watching satellite TV with a cocktail.

Here in the Northland we are always prudent when to build fires. It it's too dry, windy, close to peoples houses, ect. Sometimes we have bans on outdoor fires state wide due to drought or wind. We all pretty much honor that.

What you want is to deny any, the pure joy of sitting around the fire with their family and friends, just because you chose to camp in their midst.

It's not all about big luxurious motorhomes. It's about the outdoor experience. There are places for you to go and not have to mingle with the common class. If you go there I promise not to demand to build a campfire next to you.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Just seen a news story on the booming business of e-cigarettes. You know those electronic gizmos that glow and put out a vapor and help smokers quite.

Made me think of those fake camp fires I have seen at some RV stores where they use a small fire pit indoors with a lamp/bulb a fan and some kind of cloth all to resemble a camp fire. I wonder if they really sell those things.... ??

Our CG owner has one of those propane ones with the fake logs. He told me his DW bought it. He told me he hates it, said if I wanted it I could have it. After he said that sure made me think twice of ever getting one.

I think our unit is a Masterbuilt compact fire pit. We sure enjoy the heck out of it. Ya it's a little more work setting up, and clean up but sure worth the enjoyment. Still think CG's should think about setting up exclusive area where folks that need to be away from any fires could go. (smoke free) area. And those of us who want them can enjoy them.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #62

For me and my wife, campfires are a large part of the fun. We pretty much camp with friends and have no interest in watching TV, playing on the internet, playing video game etc. We are there to enjoy the outdoors and have fun as a group. Even if it is 90 degrees out, we still have a campfire. The kids love to cook smores, hotdogs, etc. Some even cook dinner on it. I have allergies and one of them is cigarette smoke. I know this and do not go to places where I know there will be some. I don't expect the other people put out their cigarettes just for me. That would be selfish on my part. Fortunately most places are cigarette free. I also have allergy meds if need it for that just in case moment.

Now I fully understand no campfires if there is a drought or risk of forest fire. I would not expect a place to be campfire free because it makes a person uncomfortable. This stuff is the classic camping and Americana. With the exception of the private places we camp, all other campgrounds have small fire rings. The fires are definitely modest and fully enjoyable.

Now if you want to call the environmental card, you must realize what your driving to get there. 8 MPG rigs with little to no emissions control. Then you have to try and ban all the homes in the north that use fire places for heat during the winters.

I for one look forward to every camping trip and the fun and joy we have as husband and wife and friends. The times around the campfires are one of the most memorable. Even for our friends kids.

I do agree with some other post, if a campground wants to have a section that is campfire free, then that solves that problem.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We cope with it by shutting the windows and turning the AC on to filter the inside air. Unfortunately when it is 40 degrees outside it is difficult to have the AC running and be comfortable.
Get heat pumps, ours work just fine down to about 34.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Gotta love my all electric coach!!!! LOL Just trying to dodge all the flaming arrows being thrown here!
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Still going strong where we camp.
This is part of the problem. Bonfires of this size are not a campfire. You don't have to sit ten feet back from a campfire.
I run a campground that does not allow campfires due to the fact that some people are not responsible and build these out of control fires. Most of the country is in a drought and the forests are very tinder dry. I camp and enjoy a campfire as well as the next person but I keep it small and safe.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
This is part of the problem. Bonfires of this size are not a campfire. You don't have to sit ten feet back from a campfire.
I run a campground that does not allow campfires due to the fact that some people are not responsible and build these out of control fires. Most of the country is in a drought and the forests are very tinder dry. I camp and enjoy a campfire as well as the next person but I keep it small and safe.
It helps if you read the entire thread. Especially the part where I explained that this was at a private airfield. No drought, no dry areas, very fun and safe due to the area. We do this every year for this particular contest.

BTW, sometimes 20-25' of distance is needed. LOL
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
Like a lot of things, campfires are going away because of a careless few.

"Well, it is better than nothing, can you pass me another beer?" Just a sign of the times.
It seems like this is MORE a sign of the times - ask Al Gore....

Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
As I am one person among many who is allergic to smoke, I hope all campgrounds will outlaw campfires. It seems no matter where I park the wind and smoke comes in my direction. I always try to get a space upwind but the wind ends up shifting direction. I am a full timer and have no choice but to use campgrounds.
Sorry about your smoker allergy. I'm personally of the ilk that camping usually includes fires; it's just that I'm not making one and don't want my immediate neighbors having them either with flying embers onto my awning, etc.,

Just because you're "allergic" to smoke doesn't mean that others have to give up their hobby. Should we ban all dogs/cats because people are allergic to animals as well? NOPE.

My problem is that not everyone is a trained boy/girl scout. I've seen too many fires with flying embers or at the 4th of July people firing bottle rockets with no regard to where the embers come down.

Yes 95% of campers may be responsible but the 5% that don't care or are just careless put the remainder of us at risk, awnings have holes, wildfires start, etc., just look at the damage that occurred in Colorado this past summer or in Texas a few years ago.

Fires "in a can" may not be the "real deal" but if they are safer then get used to it because I'm pretty sure that lawyers will make it harder and harder for campgrounds to allow fires. I'm actually surprised that California allows fires due to the release of "greenhouse gases".
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
Sure would be nice if they did ban them. They stink.

And I searchout rv resorts, not campgrounds, that don'y have fire rings. I don't want that smoke in my house. Thank you for understanding my point of view.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
I for one would love to see no camp fires. I have asthma and they can cause me all sorts of problems. Most folks have no clue how to make one and way too many will let them smolder for days. We had an experience at Chain O Lakes in Indiana. The camp fire smog (inversion layer) was worse than the smog in LA pre-exhaust restrictions. I now have a 12V air cleaner that will take out the worst smoke so it is at least not deadly. If you do have a fire do it right and when you are done put it out.
X2 Asthma suffer here as well.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote