Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #71

We're CG Hosts and love sitting around a campfire as much as anyone else but. The rule here is no campfires on your site, however we do have 3 firepits just on the end of the cg. This helps keep everyone mostly happy. We have a lot of guests because of the clean air on the sites. You can cook with charcoal or propane on site but a wood fire is allowed within a couple a hundred feet away.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Ya know what really stinks? Diesel Pushers
Not with regen and DEF.

Dave

Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #73

Being a Firefighter for 22 years, I still love the smell. We camp where we can have a fire. The kids live for a fire and s'mores. Introducing them to hobo pies this coming weekend.
It is our duty to show this generation the ways that we were taught to respect Mother Nature.
We are not tree huggers by far, we just tread lightly. We leave things better than when we arrived.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #74

Just because you own a motorhome doesn't mean that you are not a "true" camper. In my opinion a campfire servers a dual purpose...cooking and socialization. Having a campfire is a tradition whether you are camping in a cabin, tent or RV. If you have issues with campfires may I suggest that you work with the campground staff to select a site that would best meet your requirements. And if worse comes to worse there is always Walmart....guaranteed campfire free.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agree with vanbuskirk, I love a campfire, not for the warmth or to scare away the boogyman, but as a tradition of camping. Even at 11,000' on Pikes Peak, we loved having a campfire. Maybe it's in the genes or just the feel of communing with our natural selves, a campfire brings solace and a communication with our own primal self, to be around others of our kind in a community of the soul, a gathering of kindred spirits to worship mother nature, to be part of her family. This brings us together, around the fire, a part of the family of mankind.
BJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #76
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Get heat pumps, ours work just fine down to about 34.

Well Gee! I'm only replying because you quoted me. We have basement air, basement heat pump, plus propane heat. My heat pump is automatic, and I have used it down to 27 degrees. That's the coldest we have been in. The automatic feature is that if the temperature drops 2 degrees rapidly, not only does the heat pump come on but the propane furnace turns on and when the temperature is equal the propane furnace shuts off and the heat pump runs continues to run until thermostatic temperature is reached.

But I am curious. At what comfortable temperature should I set the thermostat on to keep the heat pump working to recycle the air. Oh! Sorry. I know the answer to that, I'll just take my system of of 'auto' and turn it on 'fan' and the heat pump will still work, but the fan will run continuously circulating the air.

Darn! Why didn't I think of that.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Look folks, if all the campgrounds outlawed campfires, a lot of them would go broke. A majority of folks go for the camping experience simply because they can be outdoors rouging it.
That's what smoking proponents said would happen when my state banned cigarette smoking in bars. The bars are still doing great business.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Some of my favorite memories are brought back by the smells associated with camping - campfires, citronella and Coleman fuel.
I can sure relate to this.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
That's what smoking proponents said would happen when my state banned cigarette smoking in bars. The bars are still doing great business.
The CGs we've been to that don't allow fires were no less full of campers than those that did.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #80

Thor Owners Club
Well until we stopped at the one in Yankton SD last year did not allow them, it was our first time. Like I mentioned, they were more than willing to sell us a propane one. Thanks, but no thanks.

I had never in all my life of camping in SD been to a CG that did not allow fires. Once in a great while they ban them in the Black Hills when we have high fire dangers and I understand that of course.

Common sense just always dictated weather or not we even put up a fire and then again I realize there are some who lack common sense and being respectful to neighbors.

Until some recent posts, I had never heard of people getting sick from the smoke. I know just by my own accord it can make my eyes burn and just be some irritation like that which is why we would refrain from letting smoke get in the path of a fellow camper.

Sure hope it is continued to be allowed as we, our kids and grandkids just love the memories and times spent around the camp fire. They always want to get the fire going at dusk and stay up late. For those wanting no fires I might suggest you mention to CG's you stay at to consider setting up areas that are camp fire free zones.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #81
laj

Quote:
that's cause the drunks would rather give up their cigs then the booze. I don't think it's the same thing for campfires. there are e nought cg's that allow fires but when more take this bad approach I think it will be harder to get a spot in those that do.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #82

I admit I do like to have a real "wood" fire. I can also think of many times when there were so many campfires burning that you couldn't open the windows because of all the smoke. Late into the night sleeping with open windows is nice. Coughing on the smoke is not and too often campers feed their fires till late at night. I can understand what the CG is trying to do........Just Saying!!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #83
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Don't know where you live but here they closed by the score. VFWs and Legions are an endangered species. Other bars have adopted smoking areas outdoors and are getting by.

BTW, I neither smoke nor frequent bars. My own VFW is near to closing. Plenty of members, they just drink at home now.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #84
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
The CGs we've been to that don't allow fires were no less full of campers than those that did.
Well there you go. That's where you should be. Not imposing your values on others by demanding they change their desires because of you.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote