Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Are old fashioned Camp Fires becoming thing of the past?

We have a portable, self contained, fire pit, legs fold up, side screen folds up and is very safe. It also has a grate for grilling and lid. It is on the small side and compact but perfect for our RV. However a CG we were at this past year told us no open fires allowed. BUT they did allow and they also sold propane portable camp fire units.

I was not going to argue the point that a flame is a flame and I do understand the concern of airborne ambers and or the mess a traditional fire place can be.

Somehow these fake units just don't cut it for me. But is this going to be the thing of the future of fewer and fewer "old fashioned" camp fires?

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

Still going strong where we camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cinci imac 017.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	49730   Click image for larger version

Name:	cinci imac 018.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	49731  

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
We have a portable, self contained, fire pit, legs fold up, side screen folds up and is very safe. It also has a grate for grilling and lid. It is on the small side and compact but perfect for our RV. However a CG we were at this past year told us no open fires allowed. BUT they did allow and they also sold propane portable camp fire units.

I was not going to argue the point that a flame is a flame and I do understand the concern of airborne ambers and or the mess a traditional fire place can be.

Somehow these fake units just don't cut it for me. But is this going to be the thing of the future of fewer and fewer "old fashioned" camp fires?
I am from kalifornia. Many areas have baned fires as they pollute! You can't even build a house with a wood burning fireplace anymore in most of the state. Fortunately, most of the state parks still allow a fire!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
During the heat of summer, camp fires and open burning are banned. Everything is tinder dry. BC is all forest.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am seeing an increasing number of places banning an open fire. They will let you use one of the propane fire pits. I do not like them as they do go through the propane at a rather alarming rate.

Also, many places will not you bring in outside wood due to diseases. It is generally expensive to buy the campgrounds fire wood.

Ken
Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

Old fashion campfires are still grand, where they are allowed.

A "campfire" that is not old fashion wood, is not a campfire, it is just a flame. No wood smoke, nor coals to stare into, to watch twinkle away?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sure would be nice if they did ban them. They stink.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im going to make a point to only camp where real campfires are allowed. The smell is part of camping. I dont see the point. cement pads are bad enough but entire cement, asphalt and paver campsites..... oops parking spots without a campfire is not camping. Heck, there's nothing to burn.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Im going to make a point to only camp where real campfires are allowed. The smell is part of camping. I dont see the point. cement pads are bad enough but entire cement, asphalt and paver campsites..... oops parking spots without a campfire is not camping. Heck, there's nothing to burn.
Time's 3
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
Sure would be nice if they did ban them. They stink.

Ditto
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #11

An additional difficulty, is the (almost universal) ban on transporting fire wood. Buying it in the vicinity of where we are camping can get to be very expensive.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of issues surrounding campfire, burning of non natural vegetation is forbidden in Washington State parks, you must use the wood provided and for sale in many. Recently I went really camping, sleep on the ground type, no MH's allowed, with my son and grandson. The campfire was a big experience for the four year old and for that matter his father. I joined in. I did it for them but:

I've sat basking in the wisp of wood smoke, sat long hours staring into embers, felt the warmth of a campfire, heard the crackle, tended fire all night to stay warm on a cold snowy night of camping, roasted marshmallows, hot dogs, cooked bacon, pizza, bread, fish, steak, and pancake over an open fire, dried my clothing, sang songs, reminisced and made love in the glow of a campfire. Enjoyed every minute then. But I have had enough I just don't like the smell any more.

That is also why as I park on my asphalt, cement or paver pad in my MH with three TV's etc, I do not call it camping. I am just living somewhere else for a while.

Some places allow campfires some do not take your pick. Probably fewer than there were years ago and getting fewer as we write. If you have not completed my list above of things to do around a campfire then by all means go where they are allowed. Chances are I will not be there, again.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I'm with those who say the traditional camp fires are the only way to go. Some have mentioned they do not like the smell. Heck as a kid when we went camping in tents, that campfire smell was one of the most memorable times, not to mention all the other great things of the camp fire.
When we are out in the Black Hills and use the local wood it takes on a distict smell of it's own. Black Hills Spruce. Love that smell!
Not sure what the big deal is. As I mentioned our compact pit folds all up. We clean up and are responsible with the fire. If there are winds that would perhaps bother neighbors we never use it. The campfire is also like having a "come on over" sign at the place as it always seems to bring visitor friends by.
From now on I will put on our check list to see if prospective CG allows camp fires.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
I for one would love to see no camp fires. I have asthma and they can cause me all sorts of problems. Most folks have no clue how to make one and way too many will let them smolder for days. We had an experience at Chain O Lakes in Indiana. The camp fire smog (inversion layer) was worse than the smog in LA pre-exhaust restrictions. I now have a 12V air cleaner that will take out the worst smoke so it is at least not deadly. If you do have a fire do it right and when you are done put it out.