Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Are older tires aginst the law?

Buying new tires(1804) is there age. The tire salesman said if I was to be stopped and the law found out the tire age they would be in violation, thats because anything over 7 yrs is against the law? I thought it was a little reckless not unlawful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tires have been sitting in a warehouse since May of 2004? That would make them almost 9 years old. I think you can be cited for bald tires but I have never heard of a LEO checking the date codes.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

IMO you need to find a different Salesman.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The short answer is no. The age of the tires has nothing to do with them being legal.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Since the tire salesman's the one giving the O.P. the "against the law" story, I think he means that it's the tires he presently HAS that are from '04.

The salesman's blowing smoke about the law, O.P.- for that reason alone I wouldn't buy a thing from him!

But at nine years old, your tires probably do need replacing at a reputable tire dealer.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Buying new tires(1804) is there age. The tire salesman said if I was to be stopped and the law found out the tire age they would be in violation, thats because anything over 7 yrs is against the law? I thought it was a little reckless not unlawful.
A salesman is trying to sell you tires with a date code of 1804? Is this correct?
No violation due to the date code, referance only:

When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Number (often referred to as the tire’s serial number). Unlike vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and the serial numbers used on many other consumer goods (which identify one specific item), Tire Identification Numbers are really batch codes that identify the week and year the tire was produced.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires that Tire Identification Numbers be a combination of the letters DOT, followed by ten, eleven or twelve letters and/or numbers that identify the manufacturing location, tire size and manufacturer's code, along with the week and year the tire was manufactured.
Tires Manufactured Since 2000
Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Since the tire salesman's the one giving the O.P. the "against the law" story, I think he means that it's the tires he presently HAS that are from '04.

The salesman's blowing smoke about the law, O.P.- for that reason alone I wouldn't buy a thing from him!

But at nine years old, your tires probably do need replacing at a reputable tire dealer.
Yeah, I'm confused too. I think you're right though... both about his current tires being that old AND the need to find another salesman. I would, however, go back and play with that sales guy one more time to see how deep he would get with that "your tires are illegal" angle.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #8

Amazing the stories that people can make up. I had the tires on my F150 PU Truck balanced at Sams club, I had purchased the tires there, but had them installed at my local shop. They rode very rough as one of the tires was out of round, per my local mechanic. So I went back to Sams, it was within the 30 day period and after much Ta-Do about tires, the Sams Club Mechanic said "Let me look at something"........ He walked out to the truck and came back and said that I voided the 30 return policy because my shop that installed them didn't use "Ford Weights" when they balanced them.......... Not often do I find myself speechless....... I just looked at him and said "you can't fix stupid"......... Even the Manager of Sams couldn't believe her mechanic just told me that...... I got 4 new tires, even though only 1 tire was suspect....
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
You need a new tire dealer.
However I would not like being in a civil court action on a accident where my tires
were that old.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Only law they would be flirting with is "Murphy's" and I agree with others, find a new place to do business with.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

The line some use elsewhere is something like: "that guy, the salesman, also votes and helps elect politicians." Find another salesman or better yet a different tire shop. Just my dos centavos.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #12

"salesman said"

Run away
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Goodyear and michelin both say best at 7 years but never over ten years. the salesman is probably an out or work used car salesman.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Like they say " his lips were moving" He would be a good candidate for cleaning barn's were bulls live!!

Tags
tires