Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems to me if you signed up to use the card as a CREDIT card, ($1000 max) you'd be covered by the $50 liability limitation set on all credit cards. If you signed up to automatically pay from a banking account, ($2,500 max) it's a DEBIT card and you'd have no protections.
At least that's my idea and why I only signed up to use as a credit card.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #30

I think the issue comes down to the question of if they are offering a credit card (IE spend to a limit and carry a balance) or offering the equivalent of a store revolving charge card (where all balances must be cleared each month). The rules are more protective for consumers with credit cards and less protective of revolving charge cards.

Hooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Whether it is the $1,000 or $2,500 card it is not a credit card. It is a charge card. Pilot RV Plus - FAQ
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Whether it is the $1,000 or $2,500 card it is not a credit card. It is a charge card. Pilot RV Plus - FAQ
The only difference between a charge card and credit card is that a charge card must be paid off each month, you can't carry a balance over, i.e., credit. It still has a $50 limit for fraud liability. Since we always pay in full each month, if the charge card gives me convenience at Pilot/Flying J, I see no issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The only difference between a charge card and credit card is that a charge card must be paid off each month, you can't carry a balance over, i.e., credit. It still has a $50 limit for fraud liability. Since we always pay in full each month, if the charge card gives me convenience at Pilot/Flying J, I see no issue.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't want you to think you have something you don't.

Neither card comes with any fraud liability limit since they are both charge cards and not credit cards. Here is an excerpt from their Terms & Conditions:

It is the Customer’s responsibility to keep track of your active card and all transactions made using your card. You are to notify PFJ within five (5) business days if you have lost your card. If you first notify PFJ by calling the number listed below, you must follow up with a confirmation letter within two (2) days of such call sent to Pilot Travel Centers LLC, 5508 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee

37909 Attn: Colton Baker. If you do not notify PFJ of this information, it will be assumed that the person in possession of the RV PLUS Card has your consent and authorization to use the card. Report Lost or Stolen cards Immediately! Call 855-478-7587.

They do have a procedure where you can have them investigate a billing error (such as a fraudulent charge), but the final decision is theirs. You do not have any automatic protection. Again this is an excerpt from their Terms & Conditions:

Billing Rights Summary. In case of errors or questions about Your Bill or if you need more information about a transaction on your bill, write us on a separate sheet of paper at Pilot Travel Centers LLC (or SFJ Inc. for all Canadian customers), Attention: RV PLUS Cards, 5500 Lonas Drive,Suite 210, Knoxville, Tennessee 37909, as soon as possible. We must hear from you no later than sixty (60) days after the original invoice date on the original invoice on which the error or problem appeared. You waive any rights to recovery if your fail to notify PFJ within the 60 days. You can telephone us, but doing so will not preserve your rights. In your letter, give us the following information:

a. Your name and account number
b. The dollar amount of the suspected error and the transaction date related thereto

c. Describe the error and explain, if you can, why you believe there is an error. If you need more information, describe the item you are unsure about.

You do not have to pay any amount in question while we are investigating, but you are still obligated to pay the parts of your bill that are not in question and these undisputed portions must be paid before the due date. While we investigate your question, we cannot report you as delinquent or take any action to collect the amount you question.

You may want to give them a call for more clarification.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #34

Cash is king, if I'm there in person my card stays in my pocket.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
My neighbor is super paranoid, using aluminum wallet and refuses to get upgraded electric meter because of fears. I changed my Wifi name to "FBI van parked on Street" just to mess with him.
THAT is funny!
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Last time I checked, P/FJ was way above local fuel stops pricing, plus their diesel was polluted with French fry oil resulting in lower mileage for a higher price. I did not appreciate the benefit of being downwind from the dude next to me who was hosing down his load of pigs and [Moderator Edit] next to me. Not a pretty sight, but it was a very hot day!

Using Gas Buddy and Google Earth to precheck station access I have no problems finding pure diesel at far lower prices than P/FJ. And using a BofA or USAA card saves 3%, more than the "cash discount". I am running a 43 foot class A pulling a toad and rarely use truck stops. I don't need DEF, so that makes it easier.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All credit/debit cards are at risk all the time there are several ways criminals "hack" your info and steal your funds.

What is needed it proper prosecution,, Since this kind of activity costs millions if not billions a year, Every time they catch one of the criminals doing it they need to give him a bill.. The annual cost of his crime. That would bankrupt the thieves.

And put 'em in prison till they pay off the bill.

FLIP SIDE:

there are laws limiting YOUR personal liability if some one uses your card fraudulently.. However I am unable to tell you exactly what they are when it comes to a Flying-J/Pilot card as I do not know the specific law.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #38

I thought that was funny too. My wifi name is NSAVAN3 My son-in-law changed his to GETYOUROWNWIFI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
THAT is funny!

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote