Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
The Mr. Buddy heater has a CO detector that really does work. In fact it works so well the heater doesn't operate above 7000-7500'! I still don't like the idea of leaving an unvented heater on at night, but you can use it while you are awake. We used to heat our old Casita 17' trailer as warm as we could get before bed, use a good sleeping bag, then turn the heater on again when we got up.

BTW, we ended up getting a better battery and a generator since we like dry camping at elevation in shoulder seasons too much to not do it.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Protable heaters come in two flavors. Electric which I gather you are NOT planing to use are generally safe

Gas (Propane) are.. mixed.. Gas heaters are not recommended for enclosed spaces. Modern heaters do have some safety hardware to keep them from killing you but I'd rather not trust a piece of hardware that way if I don't have to. Far too many deaths when using Propane indoors.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Protable heaters come in two flavors. Electric which I gather you are NOT planing to use are generally safe

Gas (Propane) are.. mixed.. Gas heaters are not recommended for enclosed spaces. Modern heaters do have some safety hardware to keep them from killing you but I'd rather not trust a piece of hardware that way if I don't have to. Far too many deaths when using Propane indoors.
Amen
campinjhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #18

Tough decision. Leave in couple hours. We must move the camper off land today and it's too far too drive all way back in dark. Temps today are high of 45.... Tonight 32. Rain and snow of and on all day so we need a warm place to escape outside.

Wish we could run electric. You cant plug those in when on battery only right? Or plugs for appliances don't work in battery only power.

I have $50 in bank for a solution:

My options are:
--------------------------

- fill my grill propane tank. Run the gas stove top to heat cabin then turn off. Do not run at night. Works well. We open the roof vent and run stove fan.

- buy Mr Buddy and propane tank (small). Cost is $49. Run when it gets cold then shut off. Have roof vent open and stove fan running. Do not leave on unless we are awake.
**We are camping at 7900 feet. Will it even work?

- rent generator for $50 Honda 2000 extra quiet. Have anything we need. It should charge battery, run furnace, etc right??? But return it tomorrow and have nothing.

- buy spare battery. Not sure what I can get for $50. Probably not a nice marine one. Regular car battery maybe. Will that work? Do they come fully charged? So they have the right prongs on top for battery cables and tightening nuts?

- OTHER IDEAS (besides bundle n suffer)???
Thcguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I see this every fall as the weather cools. Just wondering how many have personal experience with these heaters, and there are a couple that have very small vent fans that mount to the wall and run for ever on a battery. Then how many have the RV all buttoned up and cook for hours on end the 3 burners running or the oven. Dad and I used a propane open flame heater in a slide-in for years in elk season, cracked a window in the sleep loft and a vent in the kitchen area. Even supplemented with a stove burner with a flower pot over the burner, dad heard it wood disapate the moisture. But that was 50 years ago and we were much stiffer then.

LEN
Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #20

Rent the generator, have nothing to show for it, and wake up healthy tomorrow
campinjhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The other thing about inside heaters is they do nothing to keep your water pipes, drains, and tanks from freezing...

BUT, if only getting down to 32 for a few hours, that's not a hard enough freeze to hurt...
Old 09-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is another issue for consideration. The GEICO RV policy specifically excludes any damage caused by a portable heater! So you know what they think about it.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, I think Geico is referring to 110 Volt ELECTRIC heaters, not propane.

We've been using a Buddy Heat for years. In the first few years, we only used it during the day to keep the walls warm. In the last 3-4 years, we run it all night. We leave it in the main portion of the coach with a window ajar and we leave a window ajar in our bedroom. It does have a Co2 shut off and tip over protection. Plus your RV should have a Co2 alarm. If not, add a battery operate one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:50 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A Buddy heater is a catalytic heater and is perfectly safe. How many lawsuits do you hear about because of these heaters? None because they are safe. Way safer than leaving a burner going on your stove all night. Crack a window and run a hose in from a 20 pound propane tank sitting outside. Crack a vent and sleep safe and sound.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:48 AM   #25

They are for outdoor use only, in Massachusetts and Canada.

They don't tolerate CO as well as the rest of us.

http://www.mrheater.com/portable-bud...a-version.html
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thcguy12 View Post
What if you had top vent open and the stove hood vent fan running? Still no good?

We normally used to just turn on the stove burners for 5 minutes then turn off. Worked great. Heat the place up then go to bed. Once your sleeping your fine.

The little buddy heaters use 99.9 percent of the fuel they burn therefore they only emit .o1 percent co which is completely safe and they also have a low oxygen sensor that shuts off at 18% which is sill a safe level for humans, so they can be used in a camper or tent or house safely
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
A Buddy heater is a catalytic heater and is perfectly safe. How many lawsuits do you hear about because of these heaters? None because they are safe. Way safer than leaving a burner going on your stove all night. Crack a window and run a hose in from a 20 pound propane tank sitting outside. Crack a vent and sleep safe and sound.
This is exactly what I did with our Big Buddy heater for over two months a couple of years ago. Worked great, 20 pound tank lasted around two weeks before needing a refill. I agree, lots of catalytic heaters available for RV use that are perfectly safe to use.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #28

What am I missing here? The OP has only $50 to spend. He wants heat for one night. If he rents a generator his $50 is gone. What will he do the next night?
If I was in a camper and it was raining and snowing and I was afraid of getting cold and or freezing up the camper I'd be packing up and heading home. I can't see enjoying the day looking outside at the poor weather and feeling cold while I'm doing that.
Lynn

Tags
heat, heater