Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #29

"My only other idea is to bring down the battery every time which stinks. What kind of charger should we get to keep it charged in garage. Heard trickle charger, battery tender, etc?"
Can't buy the proper battery with only $50--if you don't want the trouble of changing/charging the battery each time you go to the camper, then cold-camping is the answer. Convenience/comfort usually comes with a price.
This doesn't solve your problem which really is available funds...once you get the correct battery(s) it will be a lot easier to heat for longer periods. But no way to get away from the fact that a battery is like a bank account--if you use it, you have to replenish it. A Honda 1000 will help...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #30

The older style propane furnaces in tt didnt need power. My 78 tt propane furnace worked good. You had to manually light it, same for the fridge, but neither needed 12 volt power. Maybe look for an old camper that is scrap and get the furnace out of it.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
What am I missing here? The OP has only $50 to spend. He wants heat for one night. If he rents a generator his $50 is gone. What will he do the next night?
If I was in a camper and it was raining and snowing and I was afraid of getting cold and or freezing up the camper I'd be packing up and heading home. I can't see enjoying the day looking outside at the poor weather and feeling cold while I'm doing that.
Lynn
The OP stated in one of his post that he had to move his tt and needed heat for 1 night, you stated that in your post, there is no next night. That is why I suggested renting a generator and know that everything is safe.
campinjhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #32

We have used a Mr Heater blue flame heater for years in several RVs. I tapped into the water heater propane line and added a ball valve shutoff, used a 12' propane hose and a quick disconnect to the heater. We crack the kitchen window (you need 3 square inches minimum) for fresh air/oxygen for safety. We also crack the bathroom vent to let moisture out. We run the forced air furnace only if it drops into the teens at night to keep the enclosed plumbing from freezing. Be safe.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #33

Good morning Thcguy12, how did your night turn out?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #34

I'am with 89sandman, if you think your RV is air tight there is a nice bridge for sale in NY. I've been using a Mr Buddy for years and never had a problem. The coach has a co2 sensor along with a propane detector and I've never had one go off. I admit we only use it for a few nights while enroute to Florida but it keeps us tostie and I'am still alive. Oh one other thing it beats listening to the heater blower all night long and having to worry if the coach will start in the am.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thcguy12 View Post
We have a little 24ft travel trailer and as discussed in other posts our heater won't run unless plugged in or batteries full (which they rarely all since we only bring down battery once a summer to charge).

Generators are $100-$300.
We have a little solar pannel but it takes along time to charge battery to full.

So our thought is what about a little portable heater? Are they safe to use inside to heat the camper on cold nights while we sleep?

Ideas:
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9BX 9000 BTU Radiant Propane Heater-F232000 - The Home Depot

Mr. Heater Little Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater — 3800 BTU, Model# MH4B | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

My only other idea is to bring down the battery every time which stinks. What kind of charger should we get to keep it charged in garage. Heard trickle charger, battery tender, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by campinjhawk View Post
The OP stated in one of his post that he had to move his tt and needed heat for 1 night, you stated that in your post, there is no next night. That is why I suggested renting a generator and know that everything is safe.
There seems to be a conflict here.
Based on the OP's original post he left the impression he doesn't want to recharge and carry a battery. Later on he said he had to move the TT. But where is he going to move it to? Somewhere else needing heat?
I will repeat, What am I missing here?
Lynn
Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
There seems to be a conflict here.
Based on the OP's original post he left the impression he doesn't want to recharge and carry a battery. Later on he said he had to move the TT. But where is he going to move it to? Somewhere else needing heat?
I will repeat, What am I missing here?
Lynn
Yeah I am getting confused too, I read thru some of his other post that he has started and said that the tt would never be moved, then I have read that is what they were doing yesterday was moving it to another location and staying 1 night in it.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Big Buddy Heater!!

Had the Big Buddy Heater we used camping and in our ice fishing shelters. In the RV never had alarm go off. It is a ceramic heater and gave off zero smell or odors. It has two of the ceramic pads with D Cell batteries to power the fan. When we moved and downsized, sold a lot including the Big Buddy, but should have kept it. Is a great back up source of heat. In our 5th Wheel, we use the oil filled radiator style heater. Completely sealed, emits zero emission we place a small fan behind it to move the heat.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #38

Astrofoil

I used Astrofoil behind our House Drywall as the Vapor Barrier, and up on the Attic Trusses. Like a ruggedized 'Space Blanket', it reflects Infrared [IR] back at you. Use a piece under a Fitted Bed Sheet, or under a RV Mattress even. This changes the scenario of what temp to keep the RV space at because you're warm in Bed sans any active Heat Source. Heat up the RV 'some' the next Morning. This is not necessarily an 'all or none' suggestion whereby you use no RV Heat.

Sitting on a piece of this material in a Camp Chair with, say, a Blanket over it also changes what 'comfortable' means on a brisk Evening or Morning. Love it! Pretty much the same Product as Reflectix sold in Big Box Hardware Stores.

Stapling some Astrofoil in hidden RV Storage Areas or behind lower Cabinets can cut Heat Loss out those areas, too.

- Astrofoil -
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #39

I’ve been using one of the Buddy heaters for several years. I just use it to get the RV toasty then then it off, crawl under the down comforter and all is good. Of course I’m in SoCal so it never gets so cold I need the heaters all night anyway.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater