Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Are portable heaters safe to use inside camper?

We have a little 24ft travel trailer and as discussed in other posts our heater won't run unless plugged in or batteries full (which they rarely all since we only bring down battery once a summer to charge).

Generators are $100-$300.
We have a little solar pannel but it takes along time to charge battery to full.

So our thought is what about a little portable heater? Are they safe to use inside to heat the camper on cold nights while we sleep?

Ideas:
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9BX 9000 BTU Radiant Propane Heater-F232000 - The Home Depot

Mr. Heater Little Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater 3800 BTU, Model# MH4B | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

My only other idea is to bring down the battery every time which stinks. What kind of charger should we get to keep it charged in garage. Heard trickle charger, battery tender, etc?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

Carbon monoxide danger with most of these

Old 09-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

I work for a natural gas company and am well aware of carbon monoxide and the dangers of it. I would not take the chance of waking up dead, yes you could provide some kind of ventilation but do you know how much ventilation you would need so that you and your family was not over come with CO.
Secondly do you want a propane bottle inside the camper with you? Propane is heavier than air and if you developed a leak it would not vent out of your camper.
My suggestion would be to take your battery home with you and charge it when needed, also a trickle charger or battery maintainer will not bring a low or dead battery to full charge so you would need a higher amp charger.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #4

Can someone suggest a battery charger for deep cell marine battery that will charge it full within a week between trips?

Something in the $20-$30 range hopefully.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #5

It's strange that all these Mr Heaters specifically say "safe for indoor use" on first line of their description. What gives?
Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thcguy12 View Post
It's strange that all these Mr Heaters specifically say "safe for indoor use" on first line of their description. What gives?
I think if you read the fine print it is a case of a well ventilated indoor use. Not worth it seriously.

For a battery charge I have a Schumacher Ship'NShore that works really well. It discharges battery putting it under load then can trickle charge it back. If the battery(s) are in good shape it takes about 6 hours. I think I paid a bnit more than that but not a lot more and I use it for my boat, RV, motorcycle batteries.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

A 2/10/50 amp charger would be good for what you need to charge your battery, should be able to find them for under 50.00

They say they are safe and very well may be but I would want a good co detector installed. Plus how are you going to deal with your propane supply inside your camper
Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #8

What if you had top vent open and the stove hood vent fan running? Still no good?

We normally used to just turn on the stove burners for 5 minutes then turn off. Worked great. Heat the place up then go to bed. Once your sleeping your fine.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #9

Battery charger

I bought DH a battery charger at Sams club some years ago. Other membership clubs may have them. Can't remember the price. As stated may be under $50.00. Do a search on the internet.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #10

I don't know my friend, I think you are flirting with your safety and whoever else is sleeping in your camper. If it was me I wouldn't take the chance until I could either have a generator or plenty of battery to run your heater.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #11

Well have to go tomorrow. Expecting temps between 40-32 degrees.

Battery is half full.

No generator.

Not sure what we will do. Bundle I guess.

Maybe rent a generator from home Depot. $50
Old 09-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #12

We ran 2 of the Mr. Buddy heaters in an enclosed snowmobile trailer for years without a problem. Cracked 2 roof vents and worked like a charm. We stayed in the trailer on the weekends all through the winter. Had a co2 alarm and it never went off once. I would suggest getting a hose and running it outside to a propane tank, it will burn through a couple of the small bottles in just a few hours.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thcguy12 View Post
Well have to go tomorrow. Expecting temps between 40-32 degrees.

Battery is half full.

No generator.

Not sure what we will do. Bundle I guess.

Maybe rent a generator from home Depot. $50
I think before I dumped $50 on a rental generator I would look into a really good quality higher capacity AGM battery.
What amperage rating is your marine battery? How old is it?
Why is it so difficult to carry it home and back to give it a full charge?
Lynn
Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #14

So maybe just go buy a brand new battery that is full that will run furnace for $50 today.

Then I'll have two in future.

Tags
heat, heater