Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Are RV Fireplaces just for show?

Are RV "Fireplaces" just for show? I assume they are electric?
Or do they actually warm the unit?
If they are just for looks, I'm not inclined to have one in my TBD new RV.
Do you think they are worth the expense?

PJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinHawaii View Post
Are RV "Fireplaces" just for show? I assume they are electric>
Or do they actually warm the unit?
If they are just for looks, I'm not inclined to have on in my TBD new RV.
Do you think they are worth the expense?

PJ
Some to put out heat but generally that is not their forte.

I'd rather use the space for something else.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

In our Bounder, there wouldn't be space useful for anything else and the 1200 watts of heat have kept us from having to turn on the heat pumps or the furnace so far this year.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Not sure about the option cost involved , but I have an electric fireplace from the same manufacturer; Dimplex ; in my S&B living room ( 110volt/ 1500watt) does a fine job of keeping the chill off and way quieter than the RV furnace.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mine does a nice job of heating the Living/dinning room on a cold evening
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

A 1500 w space heater as far as heat production is concerned. Otherwise it is just a faux flickering light to simulate a fireplace. We elected not to have one in our 5th wheel but there are those that love them. They also need a 20 amp outlet or at least that is what our manufacturer installed in that area.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #7

Seems like for someone who does a lot of boondocking, they would be less appealing due to the electric consumption.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

I put a small type of fireplace in a cabinet under my credenza that was not useful for anything else. It is nice to watch the fire and it puts out nice heat when you are watching TV on a cold night. When not in use I simply close the cabinet doors and it is out of sight.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Not sure about the option cost involved , but I have an electric fireplace from the same manufacturer; Dimplex ; in my S&B living room ( 110volt/ 1500watt) does a fine job of keeping the chill off and way quieter than the RV furnace.

I thought it was a dumb idea but when we had a custom cherry credenza built, I agreed to put a Dimplex fireplace in one end. I must admit, it gives a pleasant ambiance and the 1500 watt heating element really warms the front of the coach. Nights down to mid 40s, we don't generally use anything else.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I thought it was a dumb idea but when we had a custom cherry credenza built, I agreed to put a Dimplex fireplace in one end. I must admit, it gives a pleasant ambiance and the 1500 watt heating element really warms the front of the coach. Nights down to mid 40s, we don't generally use anything else.
I agree, ours had one installed sitting on the showroom floor and I figured we were just wasting money on options. I was wrong. We really like it and use it regularly. I doubt I will ever purchase another MH without one.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

Answer to the question is: yes, it's just for show. Our 1500 Watt space heater for $19 works just fine. A thumb drive recording of a fire pit will turn your TV into about the same thing.

That being said, I like them. Just for show, but it's a nice show.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is surely a personal preference...but not just for show.
We added one after seeing it in a beautiful 5'er.

Ours has 2 heat levels (750W and 1500W) that takes the chill off an early morning or helps the furnace as needed...on FREE Campground juice.

And the 7 ember light levels work very good for a nightlight as well as giving the RV and nice glow in the evening, when the overhead lights are not used.

Ours is on an interior wall that would be blank otherwise (no lost cabinet space), is almost hidden with the slide retracted, and the remote controls everything, so you don't even have to get up to set it.

Name:   1021121435.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:   1021121444.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  20.6 KB

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #13

Love ours for ambiance and it produces great heat when needed. Very functional. Definitely NOT just for show. Hard to imagine not having one now that we have it. We use it instead of the furnace when hanging out in the main living area.

Makes for a very cozy room when in use. No space heater comes close in my book.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our coach off the lot and it came with a fireplace, dishwasher and washer dryer. Three items we did not have in or previous DP. The washer and dryer was a must in our new unit and we kind of laughed about the fireplace and dishwasher.

The dishwasher is now a must have item and we wouldn't buy a coach without it.

The fireplace has worked out to be a nice item too. We don't necessarily use it for the ambiance, but the heat portion keeps the living room of our 40' coach plenty warm down to about 35-40 degrees outside.

On our previous coach, we had an electric heater that we would pull out and set in the middle of the living room. We didn't like using the heat pumps because of the noise. The fireplace does the same or better job than our portable heater and is not something we have to put away or trip over. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you get up on a cool morning, I would have to dig out the electric heater or turn on the main heat. The fireplace is sooooo much more convenient. It has a remote that we hit and instant heat without the fuss. As soon as the chill is off, we just shut it down. It may sound lazy, but it's a nice convenience.

With all that said, I wonder why there isn't a company that offers a small wall mounted electric heater, with remote, that could be mounted in a dead area of the coach. It would sure be convenient.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, replace