Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #15

My local Winn dealer charges $85 for oil change & lube. The quick lube place down the street charges $65 for lube/filter/lube, syn. blend. They get out there with a creeper & get with it. Some of the prices that people have quoted are just outrageous.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #16

I spent the better part of 45 working years in automotive service. After being disgusted by common deceptive practices in dealerships, a fellow mechanic and I opened our own shop. We were very sucsessful by applying the "Golden Rule". We got so much business by positive word of mouth that we stopped spending any money on advertising.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but just making the point that a repair shop can be honest and still make money. It's sad that many people never try it.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I spent the better part of 45 working years in automotive service. After being disgusted by common deceptive practices in dealerships, a fellow mechanic and I opened our own shop. We were very sucsessful by applying the "Golden Rule". We got so much business by positive word of mouth that we stopped spending any money on advertising.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but just making the point that a repair shop can be honest and still make money. It's sad that many people never try it.
You guys are hard to find. I get tired of shops charging the published labor book rate regardless of how long the job really took.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mochime, I mostly do my own oil changes right in my driveway. Oil and Filter cost from the local auto parts store...cost me from $25-35. I catch my oil an recycle. Use latex gloves to help with keeping the hands a bit cleaner.
Then I have paid for shop work of over $100 for a shop to do the oil and filter, but out on the road one year I found a auto repair shop that did this for $35. Need to shop around.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
You guys are hard to find. I get tired of shops charging the published labor book rate regardless of how long the job really took.
So if the published book rate is 1 hour....and it takes the repair facility...4 hours....?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
So if the published book rate is 1 hour....and it takes the repair facility...4 hours....?
OH, they'll charge 4 hours and blame it on you

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A fella in our park left here one morning and returned later in the afternoon with his coach. He was having a problem with an air leak on one of his airbags. Well while there had the oil changed both engine and generator and new filters for all. Granted this was a Pusher but when he got back he was white as a ghost. Everyone asked what's up? His answer $1600. Man, something sure must have been a problem with the airbag or two. Nope, just had to tighten a fitting. Now to me that's a rip even with the other service included.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
...they tell me my right front leveling jack is leaking oil and needs to be replaced as they are not repairable.
Once a dealer tells me a bare faced lie I am finnished with them. If I know for a fact they are lying I immediately call them out. If I don't know for sure I research. Many times on these forums.

Two things dealers seem to believe. RV owners are bottomless pits of money and we all have STUPID written across our foreheads.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #23
GPW

My RV dealer charged my insurance company 5000 USD to “replace the roof” , to fix a few small holes due to an errant limb ... turns out they just spot patched the holes with thin plywood and re covered the roof ... on a small 20’ trailer ...
Problem is , My RV dealer Never told me the truth ... or I’d have Never bought one in the first place ... Seems Wall Street learned their tricks from RV dealers ...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In today's marketplace, I don't think that RV dealers are any worse than anyone else. I asked a locally advertized electrical contractor for a bid to install a transfer switch in my house. The bid was $6,xxx. A local independent bid the same work at $1,6xx. Part of the original bid, I believe, was a fear factor about what kinds of problems the contractor might run into with the local code compliance inspections. The rest was the company overhead. The independent had lower overhead.

I no longer see high RV dealer prices as a "rip off". The dealers can set whatever they want. A local Freightliner dealer charged $110 an hour with no guarantees for their work, even for 30 days afterward. If I paid and left, they started over with the next visit. I've never been back after I paid them twice to fix my speedometer and they didn't either time, at least that it lasted 30 days. They are no worse off for the loss of my business because they told me to my face that they were doing me a favor by working on my RV. I'm no worse off for not taking it back to them because I ended up fixing the speedometer myself (it hasn't failed again in 3 years) and have never needed them for any other problem that I've had. Everyone is happy with the result.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
My two cents worth:
RV needed oil change at 3000 miles... called Dixie Rv on I 10 near exit 72 I believe... Gave them info asked price, told $158.00 plus any shop expenses...
Clarified it was a Gas 8.1 with 7 qt and 1 qt oil filter... Service Mgr stated "I dont care we charge $158.00 and if thats a problem, then go elsewhere" Easy and sensible advice !!

Son and I changed the oil in his driveway, Oil & filter from Wallyworld, $25.06, creeper was owned already... lol

The RV doesnt seem to know the difference and my wallet has offered to take me to dinner several times on the cash saved.

Same dealer, had "supposed" oil leak on pass side front hyd jack, advised they would need several days, $850.00 plus anything else found during work would be "extra". Turned out the jack was venting excess pressure because I simply over-travelled it, added several blocks to shorten the stroke to ground and problem magically repaired itself... again the wallet was happy enough to reward me with dandy fly rod outfits for both my grandkidz !

Honesty has apparently escaped the folks at Dixie RV...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I too have been in a d out of the auto repair business since 1984. Industrial manufacturing machine repair before that, and B1-B bombers and space shuttle for 6 yrs.

I manage a very busy auto repair shop now (for 7yrs). I can work there because the owner (a friend) & I have the same idea. Treat the customer like he was you.

The "book time" is really the only fair way to bill the job. Sometimes (many times) a job will take longer than book because of unseen things. Like rusty or broken or missing bolts. AND....the book can be wrong. The idiots didn't count removing some things to get to the part you need to replace.

Many many times we don't charge for "stopping what we are doing" (making $$), and go out and spend 5, 10, 20, 30 minutes checking out a car for free.

We have to make a living. Bottom line !! My mechanics have to make a living, too.

At $30 an hour flat rate, my guys DON'T make as much $$ as I did in the 80's turning a wrench at $12 an hour at the Toyota dealer. We are very busy, but we take the (unpaid) time to help our customers. That way, they come back with paying jobs to support us.

By the way, I quit that dealer when it got sold, and the new owners started stealing from the customers "because they could".
Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #27

I have to tell you a story. A friend of mine has a coach like mine, just a year earlier. I noticed when it was in storage last year the right front side was down. I mentioned it to the storage owner and he said"He drove it in here like that", so I called him and he took it in for repairs. Comes to find out his right HWH ride height solenoid was bad. So the shop orders one over-nited and it doesn't come in. He finds he has to pre pay because they are on cash only. No problem(of course you know what the problem probably is) The coil and solenoid comes in and they replace it. I see it at the storage again and it is still down on the right front. He says"you know, my wife says it is rough riding". Now this is after a 600 mile round trip. So he takes it back. They say it's all fixed. That's what they say 5 times after that. They finally throw their hands up and told him the man that usually works on these quit.I finally convinced him to bring it up to me and I'd take a look at it. Crawled under the coach and found they had plugged the new coil into the spare plug for the air pressure guage. Switched plug took 5 minutes at the most. That wasn't that hard to figure out. Anybody that could look at the schematic could fix it. And this is a certified shop that can do your warranty work were the warranty won't let you do.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The RV dealer I go to has always treated me fair. He fixes things right, doesn't rip me off on labor charges and only repairs what needs to be repaired and to the extent it needs repair (won't charge me for a new part if he can repair the part). I've heard him on the phone arguing with a manufactures warranty department because he doesn't like the way they want him to fix something.

He is the only dealer I take my coach to. Because I have purchased a few RV's from him, I get a discount on parts anyway.

When you do find a good dealer (car, truck or RV) that you trust, stick with them. They are hard to find.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair