Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #43
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Just to answer a couple of the questions "YC1" ask.

Question: How many hours did you spend looking for the repair kit?
Answer: No hours, but about 10 minutes to go to the "Power Gear" Web Site and download the information

Question: How long does it take to remove the jack and do you have the ability to do it?
Answer: It took 1 hour to remove the Jack, but it could have been done quicker if parked over the repair pit at the RV Shop, rather then jacking up and blocking the MY and laying on the floor.
Could I do it? Yes in my younger years, today, yes in that shop environment, but not laying on a floor and I no longer have the tools that were required.

Question/Comment: Second guessing a good service facility like this is a bit unfair if you are not in the service business.
Answer/Response: How can you with no knowledge state that they are a "Good Service Facility? I happen to be retired from a "Service Business" with over 40 year of experience Writing Work Orders, Estimating and Supervising the repair projects, may of which cost more then 10 of your Motorhomes combined. The last ten years I worked I wrote specification for the repair of machinery, equipment and structure of US Navy Ships, so I think I have a bit of experience in the Service Field and have seen many types of price gouging.

You will notice I never gave the name of the RV Shop, I only questioned how many RV Repair Facilities are overcharging customers, and from the responses, quite a few are. But like several have stated, there are good and bad in every group regardless of what the group is about, it just seems the bad far out weight the good in this area.
I am pleased you took the time to read my long response. I did not have the same great response from Power Gear as you did.

In any case, since you have prior service experience you can probably feel my pain as a service provider that gets beat about the head and shoulders and often just due to customer frustrations.

We do not disagree that good service is not as common as it should be. We who can turn wrenches but have pain in the joints and money in the bank decide to fix things with a checkbook have little tolerance for incompetence or wasting of our assets. Nor do you dare try to insult our intelligence or second guess our abilities.

I have 40 years of electronics troubleshooting. I have taught hundreds of technicians.

There is probaly very very few true electronic technicians working in the RV industry. Way more money elsewhere.

Now how about hydraulic techs? I bet they can do better.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #44

Triple E Owners Club
Service, like things, are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Why did you pay X for your MH or house for that matter, because that is what it was worth to you. I have gotten bad service and good. To me the worst service is when they try real hard to get you to pay for something that does not need to be done. I have had many shops fail to find the cause of 'intermittent' problems which end up taking me hours to find. If a service man tells me the forward right thrush washer is worn beyond tolerance and says that it will cost $345.76 to replace???? I am not a Cat technician, nor a frieghtliner mechanic, nor have I had this unit long enough to hear about such things. So yes I am stupid or maybe better said ill informed. As a young man I have replaced valves, pistons, clutches, rebuilt carbs and distributors but I open the the hood on my 09 wrangler and wow what is all that? Yes I can afford the bill and yes I am ill informed so yes I will get taken now and then but I hope that with due diligence and experience I will get an honest shake.
So: I always get a quote and have never been charged more without prior approval. Every where I have gone lists lube oil and filter charges on the wall - flat fee, take it or leave it. On the whole I think I have gotten what I paid for most of the time.
Happy traveling!
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I always try to deal with the owner of any service business. That means I deal with the smaller shops or service companies. Small companies tend to be more appreciative of your business and rely on you to spread the word about good service.

Spend time establishing a rapport with the owner, it pays off. Not to mention supporting small businesses is good for the community.

I also don't beat them up on price. I want them to make a fair profit while I pay a fair rate. When either side tries to nickel and dime each other the relationship goes south and so does the performance. No one wants to work for or give their best to a customer who continually tries to beat them down. This doesn't mean I let people take advantage of me either. This is another reason for dealing with the owner, you develop a level of trust.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #46

Triple E Owners Club
Very good advice sdennislee, thanks
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Several years ago I had an RV with a GM 6.5 diesel. That engine blew and had to be replaced. I was traveling so the RV was towed to an RV shop that could and did the engine replacement. I had an estimate of costs, etc. The one thing that I had not counted on and upset me was they tacked on a 20% fee on all parts. So in addition to the expected fees was the 20% on parts. I think they made a "killing" on just the rebuilt engine they installed and parts. And, I think they are out of business now. Another one of life's (expensive) learning experiences.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Several years ago I had an RV with a GM 6.5 diesel. That engine blew and had to be replaced. I was traveling so the RV was towed to an RV shop that could and did the engine replacement. I had an estimate of costs, etc. The one thing that I had not counted on and upset me was they tacked on a 20% fee on all parts. So in addition to the expected fees was the 20% on parts. I think they made a "killing" on just the rebuilt engine they installed and parts. And, I think they are out of business now. Another one of life's (expensive) learning experiences.
Safe Travels
Bob

Not quite sure what you mean, but.....

For those of you that have not operated your own business......

I, and any repair facility that wants to stay in business, make a profit on the parts. A 20% mark-up on parts is FAIR, and may be too low.

Some people think I should not make a profit on the parts. They site the price difference between my price for a part, and what they would pay at Autozone. I tell them 2 things....

1) the parts profit covers their warranty, in case the part fails and I have to repair it again for free (to them).

2) I can't stay in business with labor fees alone. Overhead is just too high......

Electric, gas, water, phone, internet, trash, TAXES, insurance, rent, & employees.....and thats just for the business. I also have to make enough for me and my family to live.

And, some people want to bring their own parts for me to install. That means I must charge more for labor because I did not make a profit on the parts, which I need to stay in business.

I simply ask them: "Do you bring the eggs to the restaurant for them to cook you breakfast" ??

Some get it, others don't. And....I don't want to work on those people's cars that don't get it, as they will be the worst of customers, and I just don't need the frustration.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Mr300ce, I understand what you are saying about running the business and covering overhead, other expenses and making a profit. But don't forget the customer side, here I am paying over a $100 an hour for labor (only a portion of which goes to the mechanic) and then in this case a 20% mark up on ordering a engine. I paid and the shop received about $1700 for ordering the engine. That's quite a lot of dollars for a few telephone calls to place the order and then I pay the shipping on top. It's not like paying 20% because they had send someone to the parts store and pick up needed parts. Personally, I think that's a bit greedy.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #50

Had the same problem, got it repaired for $150.00 total at a local Hydraulic shop. Duk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #51

I am not sure what the 20% parts fee you refer to is. Are you inferring that 20% over cost is gouging, no shop could stay in business with such a low markup. How do you know what his cost is? Or did he charge more than the price you saw advertised online by Honest Louie's Discount Warehouse?
I worked in service for a number of years and for the most part the shops charged a fair price for the work performed. If the customer did not agree, he/she was free to shop around. I left one employer because he got greedy, his business closed within a short time. The market will determine who survives and thrives and who doesn't.
Some of the jobs mentioned involve a huge chunk of change but how many of us understand the costs of running a business? I am not a wealthy rv owner so I have to determine what I can do myself and what I need to pay someone with the facilities, tool, parts, and training to perform. Then I shop around. If I am on the road and have a problem I suck it up or walk away and take the bus home.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #52

20% markup from wholesale is a bargin.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #53

Alot of people don't understand the costs of running a business. Your right , only a percentage of the hourly rate goes to the mechanic. You still have the cost of the bldg, rent or mortgage, utility's, maintanance costs, maybe security, insurance for property, liability, workers comp, unemployment, health care. As well as attorney fees, taxes, inspections, uniforms, disposal fees, the list goes on
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #54

My question to the people who think the repair costs @ the shops are too high, let me ask you, How much an hr were you paid when you worked? And don't tell $10.00 an hr because you would not be driving or pulling an RV right now if that was so. Do you think you were worth the amount you were paid? I think many complain to much about things without knowing all the facts about the shop they are dealing with. 20% over wholesale is a pretty reasonable markup & as some have said even a bit low for many businesses.
My wife likes to shop & she comes home after a shopping trip & feels so good about the 50% she got off the product. the store still made a profit because many department stores have their product priced at 150 % over true cost & can reduce for the sales they have & make many shoppers happy about the deal. As I said before, there are many rip off shops out there but I believe there are many more honest shops out there. JMHO
Old 12-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
20% markup from wholesale is a bargin.
But not if the shop paid wholesale, then charged retail and added 20%!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #56

Some folks here may have earned $10.00/hr., it wasn't long ago that was pretty decent pay, heck I make 15/hr now. When I was self employed, I was sometimes lucky to get a paycheck after my expenses. Don't forget the cost of labor is on average double the salary. So 15/hr is really costing the employer more like 30/hr
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair