Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 AM   #29

For as long as we've been camping (only since 2002) we've had to make reservations pretty far in advance. That's because we are summer weekend campers with a fairly large trailer (34') who live near a big city. There's no way we can traipse to the local state park on Friday evening and get a space. When we go to Fort Wilderness at WDW, it's during spring break, so we need ressies way in advance. I found I couldn't find a space at my campground of choice for a week in Myrtle Beach this summer because I only called 6 months in advance. But that's all I've known since we started camping. If you work full time and have kids in school (and in activities during spring and fall weekends) so that the times you can camp are limited, you learn pretty fast to make reservations WAY in advance. I make my WI state park ressies 11 months in advance, my COE ressies 8 months in advance, my MI and IN state park reservations 6 months in advance - and I don't expect that to change. Spontaneity is not part of our camping experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:21 AM   #30

We have never made a reservation anywhere in 25 yrs, mainly because our schedule is never that predictable.When I was working the only important dates were when we left and the all important when I had to be back for work. But if we see something we find interesting we stop. Could not imagine being tied to a schedule just for a campground! If we are going to a major tourist destination I never plan on being close, stay far enough away and use the toad. When we had a trailer we left the trailer at a campground and used the t.v. to get around. Never would pay the outlandish prices that the campgrounds near attractions charge. Just the way we do it
jcarew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 AM   #31

We too used to go the spur of the moment! Now we can not do that if we would like to go. Even to close campgrounds we either have to make reservations or go early in the week. Around holidays, you have to go on the previous Sunday or have reservations...otherwise you are not going to get a site.
We need more campgrounds and soon!
Campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #32

It would be interesting to know the ratio of CG disappearing to new ones being built. We just lost one of the nicest CG in NW Arkansas to developers. Greencountry CG probably had 50-70 sites and was only completely full 2 0r 3 weekends a year but usually 60-75% full year round due to fulltimers. The developer is supposed to be building storage buildings, can you imagine storage buildings paying back such an investment. The owners had been there only 4-5 years and had no intention of selling but said the offer was too much to turn down. We usually stayed there 5-6 times a year visiting relatives and was always amazed at the cleanliness of the park. It was the second CG we had used in the area that closed, now the pickings are very slim to practically none. I too, wonder what we are going to have to deal with in the future. The owner of the KOA at Ouray, Co has had many offers from developers and I'm sure as he reaches a retirement age he will take one. This is the first year I have made advance reservations and I hate it almost as much as trying to find a reliable shop to work on my DP. I've heard there is something like 50,000 new RVs sold every year. The random wandering vacationer (which I used to be) is certainly going to be in trouble, which takes a lot of the fun out of RVing.
Wagonmaster2