Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
As Yosemite BoB stated above, Thor is now allowing the option to install the LATCH anchors on their Super C MHs. But I am not sure how long they have been doing that. And because I am not in a position to spend 120k on a new MH, that's out of the question.

LV, I hae been keeping an eye on MHs in my price range that have the booth dinettes, but Larry is right, many states don't like you using the seat belts to retain the car seats anymore. And many rear facing carseats don't allow for the seat belt retention. The framing of the dinettes on a lot of MHs isn't sturdy enough to attach new anchor points for the carseats either. You would need to know whats under the dinette, which eliminates a lot of the dinettes within a slideout.

I even told the wife we may have to resort to having her drive the toad behind the MH with the kids until they are old enough.

Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
framing types

Originally Posted by Dano97470 View Post
I don't think the RV's with stick framing would hold up well in a roll over accident.
My wife and I are just learning about RVs as we begin our search.

Are there RVs with stick framing? What types of framing are there? Steel cages? Aluminum cages? Wood?

peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Recall the line by Sancho Panza from Man of LaMancha: "Whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone, it's bad for the pitcher." RVs are pretty big and heavy, sort of like the stone.

Your Class A RV is a pretty safe vehicle. Some folks seem to have problems in crosswinds and buffeting from passing semis. They add additional stabilization to their coaches to cure this. Others (myself included) do not experience these problems.

I first worried about construction of the front of my coach in a collision until I realized that, with the exception of a semi or bus, I was going to be essentially "above" the primary impact.

My thoughts about Class C coaches is a bit different. I think that above about 27' you are going past all practical design limits of the chassis and suspension. I have no proof of this, but the "eye test" tells me so.

Generally an RV in a major accident is big news. That means it doesn't occur that often. I think you can feel perfectly safe in just about any of today's class A's.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #18
Another coach, Class A, that is known for their safety cage construction, is Rexhall. We toured the factory and they showed us a 40' DP with two large (T-Rex) slides. (Bill Rex is the REX in Rexhall!) The owners had to dodge a deer in New Mexico, and went off the road and crashed into a tree at a pretty high speed. Both walked away, shaken, and minor injuries. The RV was flat bedded back to Lancaster, CA to the Rexhall factory. The gent giving the tour told us that they had hooked power back up to the coach, and tried to open the two large super T-Rex slides - they came in/out with no problems. When you saw the front end damage, and yet the couple survived, and the frame and construction was so well built that the slides still worked - well, it was a 1000 words...

Agree in Class C that Lazy Days and Born Free would be on the short list. Though I consider Born Free to be closer to a Super B then a Class C - but that's how I look at them!

If you drop years, the Wanderlodge and Blue Birds are like tanks... Stories of these rolling over, being righted, and then driving off...

Best to you,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
Must be a while since you had toddlers, because you cannot secure them with two seat belts. In addition, they must be facing forwards or backwards-- not sideways in a child seat. You will see a special ring welded into the frame that the "claw" latches onto-- one on each side. Regular seat belts would not be secure enough, safe enough and probably not even legal in some states with these child restraints. I have not seen these on any RV's to date...
I believe Winnebago install those in their forward facing dinette seats.

Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote