Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #1

Are there RV manufacturers that go above the norm to add safety/comfort mods?

Or are some brands of RV's more expensive because they took the initiative to add these items. Pardon my ignorance as I have not purchased an RV l, but in reading I have found many posts where people have added items to buy increased safety or comfort. Seems to me if a mod makes it a safer RV, then it should be there in the first place.

Again excuse my lack of knowledge here but since I have not purchased one yet, I am extremely concerned about safety. I would be willing to pay more for an RV if I thought there was more safety underneath, and that does not even include accommodations to properly add child safety seats which I have yet to see.
Underneath I have heard many experienced RVer's add items such as safe-t-plus steering stabilizers, or anti sway bars, and rear trac bars.
Are there manufacturers that include these as standard equipment? If so, who would that be. It's important to me to be overly safe as I will be carrying two grandkids( ages 2 and 4) with me.
We actually are renting one next week for 3 days-- heading to an RV park near Legoland and then Ft. Wilderness. Round trip less than 150 miles. A short trip, but our first in an RV. But I'm not letting the grandkids ride in it ( wife will drive them behind with our car with the kids in their car seats). Can not find a way to do the car seats appropriately in the Coachman Leprechaun we are renting. They of course will spend the night inside it wherever we go.
I would appreciate any knowledge of manufacturers that go that extra mile for safety inside and under an RV. Thanks in advance.
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually there are! But you pay for it too. Newell, Foretravel, Prevost conversions, Monaco. Country Coach built their own semi-monocoque chassis.

What price range are you looking at? The Newell, Foretravel and Prevost will start at $1,000,000 and go up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually there are! But you pay for it too.

What price range are you looking at? The CC we have is on a semi-monocoque chassis and all steel welded superstructure

I am looking for a Class C in the range of 26-32 feet-- nothing near as big as yours.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

I have the same concerns - safety. I have 1 kid and the wife and I plan on a second shortly. There are no currently made (that I can find) Class A/C's that have attachments for childseats. I have been looking at floorplans for different motorhomes that I could adapt the attachments in to, but that's rough when you have a bunch of other things you want out of the motorhome as well. And I cannot afford a brand new one, which makes my life more fun.

Honestly, took keep the wife happy with safety, I may be looking at a truck and trailer set up, since the cab is already set up for child seats. But I need to find a place to put the dogs (I kinda want a 5th wheel).
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
I am looking for a Class C in the range of 26-32 feet-- nothing near as big as yours.
OK, we traded our '97 Type C off on a new Type A MH in '98 so it's been too long to be of much help to you.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
If you are looking for a safe class C your choice is a Lazy Daze. Owned one for 10 years. Good as new when I sold it. They are only sold through the factory in pomona california. One guy rolled his, whole unit held together with only damage to cabover. The independant RV comsumers group rated them as best in class.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
If you are looking for a safe class C your choice is a Lazy Daze. Owned one for 10 years. Good as new when I sold it. They are only sold through the factory in pomona california. One guy rolled his, whole unit held together with only damage to cabover. The independant RV comsumers group rated them as best in class.
Rolled it with passengers inside?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
[QUOTE=Gavenger;3053461]I have the same concerns - safety. I have 1 kid and the wife and I plan on a second shortly. There are no currently made (that I can find) Class A/C's that have attachments for childseats. QUOTE]

Then you have not looked well. Mine for one has set up for child seats two at the dining table bench on each side. FourWinds 33SW Super C I have grandchildren so thought of them
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #9

[QUOTE=YosemiteBobR;3053514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
I have the same concerns - safety. I have 1 kid and the wife and I plan on a second shortly. There are no currently made (that I can find) Class A/C's that have attachments for childseats. QUOTE]

Then you have not looked well. Mine for one has set up for child seats two at the dining table bench on each side. FourWinds 33SW Super C I have grandchildren so thought of them
I will look into that coach. Thank you :-)
Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think the RV's with stick framing would hold up well in a roll over accident.
Dano97470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #11

Do a search for custom class c or class b motor homes and see what you find. There are build to order companies that probably can give you what you want if you are willing to pay for it. Most are factory direct so some of the added cost is absorbed by not having a dealer markup. They are still significantly more than the larger manufacturers because they use better materials with more time to fuss.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see Lazy Daze has been mentioned. I would also add Born Free for class "C" motor homes. You can't go wrong with either.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
I have the same concerns - safety. I have 1 kid and the wife and I plan on a second shortly. There are no currently made (that I can find) Class A/C's that have attachments for childseats. I have been looking at floorplans for different motorhomes that I could adapt the attachments in to, but that's rough when you have a bunch of other things you want out of the motorhome as well. And I cannot afford a brand new one, which makes my life more fun.

Honestly, took keep the wife happy with safety, I may be looking at a truck and trailer set up, since the cab is already set up for child seats. But I need to find a place to put the dogs (I kinda want a 5th wheel).
all you have to do is take the cushions off the Dinette, most have seat belt for 4 and will fit four car seats...

what I would say is this,... being cautious be when driving an rv,.. leave extra room with the car in front.... map out where you are going"BEFORE" you head out..go drive around by yourself and get comfortable with the rig...

most all problem s that happen with rvs if panic and not pay'n attention...

I've never heald a story where they say they didn't see the rv....but they will cut in front and hit the brakes...

I raise'd four kids and we always traveled in the rv....I think it is way safer than a car my self... you are up where you see every thing sooner.. and travel at a distance back from the cars in front...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Are there RV manufacturers that go above the norm to add safety/comfort mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
all you have to do is take the cushions off the Dinette, most have seat belt for 4 and will fit four car seats...

what I would say is this,... being cautious be when driving an rv,.. leave extra room with the car in front.... map out where you are going"BEFORE" you head out..go drive around by yourself and get comfortable with the rig...

most all problem s that happen with rvs if panic and not pay'n attention...

I've never heald a story where they say they didn't see the rv....but they will cut in front and hit the brakes...

I raise'd four kids and we always traveled in the rv....I think it is way safer than a car my self... you are up where you see every thing sooner.. and travel at a distance back from the cars in front...
Must be a while since you had toddlers, because you cannot secure them with two seat belts. In addition, they must be facing forwards or backwards-- not sideways in a child seat. You will see a special ring welded into the frame that the "claw" latches onto-- one on each side. Regular seat belts would not be secure enough, safe enough and probably not even legal in some states with these child restraints. I have not seen these on any RV's to date...

Tags
safety