Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #15

Just my 2 cents here.
Been in the battery business 20+ years, the last 20 for Exide. We manufacture our own batteries and sell some under private labels. Way too many to list here.
When I started with the company, we manufactured one of the Diehard lines for Sears and another battery company made Wally World's. We also made all of NAPA's batteries.
I happened upon a Consumer Reports issue that compared automotive batteries, all national private labels.
The batteries that we manufactured tested better than most of the competition, some were even with another manufacturer. They tested cranking amps, cold cranking amps and one or two other things. Sorry, it's been over ten years!
The Walmart battery tested better than the Sears one. Guess which one we made? That's right, the EverStart was rated better the Diehard!
Several years later, I looked up ratings on the same batteries, now manufactured by other companies.
The Walmart is now made by a different company and had lower ratings. Sears has the same company making theirs, and still isn't a good battery!

I forget who posted it, but someone said to look at the date on the side. If it's been on the shelf longer than 6 months or so, give it a pass. The voltage has dropped and the plates are starting to sulfate. Not good!
I raised Cain at a Sears about 5 years ago over a battery. The battery in my pickup had died in the heat after 6 years and I needed a new one. The closest place was a Sears about a mile away. The nearest parts place was 2 miles away.
The battery I wanted was 14 months old, so I bought a lower amped one for only $10 less. Wasn't happy about it either!
They were wanting me out of there, so they didn't charge me a core charge! But I still took the old one back to them and told them to get their stock rotated properly!

It cracks me up when I go to Walmart or someplace that sells the competition and I see old batteries on the shelf. I've even talked people out of buying the old batteries!
Of course, I send them someplace where ours are sold!
Thanks for letting me rant!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

I got mine (2 group 27) last fall at Advance Autoparts. Ordered online with coupon (20-30% off typically) and came out about $35 cheaper than Wallymart.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #17

Phil,
Thanks for your input on this subject.
Coming from someone that was working within the industry, your comments about private label batteries were exactly what I expected to be the case.
I also appreciate your point about checking dates, and definitely will on my next battery purchase.
We all have budgets to work with, but knowing more about the product we are purchasing could actually make a more expensive item a better choice over the long term.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:22 AM   #18

And Walmart has a great return policy.....any problems they take it back and give you a new battery......no problem.

Also another place to buy batteries, I have purchased a few batteries from Home Depot, some of there store have an automotive section. If your a vet, you get your discount.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
take a look at Napa... they have a decent battery and stand behind their warranty.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Far as I know they are.. Not sure who makes 'em but I use 3 Wall mart 12 volts as part of my house bank. no problems. decent life.

The only issue I have with Wal*mart batteries is the amp hour rating for RV use. and this does not apply in your application.

They rate them at teh "1 amp" rate. (how long the battery can put out one amp) so a 75 hour Group 24 (At the 20 hour rate) holds over 100 amp hours at the one amp rate... Long techniical explanation not included here since Amp Hours does not apply to starting batteries Cranking and occasionally COLD CRANKING amps do. And those they are honest about.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
And Walmart has a great return policy.....any problems they take it back and give you a new battery......no problem.

Also another place to buy batteries, I have purchased a few batteries from Home Depot, some of there store have an automotive section. If your a vet, you get your discount.
The batteries at Home Depot are Exide. We started selling them there about 3 years ago. We were like, yeah. Car batteries at a home improvement store. That’s gonna sell well. We were surprised when they did!
Tractor Supply sells our batteries also. They don’t carry a group 24 deep cycle, but there is a group 27. It’s a little bigger than the group 24, but if you have the room it has a larger reserve capacity.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #22

Good info. I'm about to go buy DW a battery for her little car. Wally will save us $30. I've used them before and never had a problem. (yet)
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #23

I was told years ago that Flooded Lead Acid batteries have been around so long that the designers can pretty well built to specification. Few surprises in how long they last or how well they will perform. Along with what has been already mentioned, service life will be within a few months of what you buy. You buy a 48 month battery then don't expect 60 and don't whine at 45. Other than that take a close look at the specifications if you can find them. Often they are not on consumer data sites.

One other thought is that we often worry too much about what is best. Is the criteria to maximize life or capacity without regard to cost or minimize cost while getting a functional product? Somewhere in between? What is needed may not match what is wanted in either direction...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #24

Paint

In need to get touch up paint for the cream/tan color on my 2017 Montana high country boy hauler. Any idea as to where I can get?
Chellety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellety View Post
In need to get touch up paint for the cream/tan color on my 2017 Montana high country boy hauler. Any idea as to where I can get?
Think you accidentally posted in the wrong forum. Try the Thor Owners forum, you'll probably get an answer there.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #26

walmart battery

Just replaced 2, f150 and expedition. Got 7 years on them. To me that is very good.Both cars sit outside so have all types of weather her in NJ.Also if they go bad a lot of Walmart's to exchange them at.
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps6 View Post
Just replaced 2, f150 and expedition. Got 7 years on them. To me that is very good.Both cars sit outside so have all types of weather her in NJ.Also if they go bad a lot of Walmart's to exchange them at.
Yeah, not surprised. Those were ours.

Tags
batteries