Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Are Wal Mart 12V batteries worth the money

I'm needing to replace my 6 yr old 12V battery in my Colorado PU and have in the past used O'Reilly's brand of batteries but mine lists for $150. At Wal Mart the one for my PU (3yr full replacement, 2 additional years pro-rated) is $120.
Just wondering if they are reliable.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
They are built in the same factories.

They're just as good.

Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Been using wal-mart batteries for 20+ years. Wal-mart has more stores out of the U.S. than in by several hundred. I'm guessing because they sell quality.
'04MADP, Blue Ox, AFO, 1150w Solar, 6-6v AGMs, SilverLeaf, PressurePro
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Yeah, that ^^^^^^^ Auto batteries are made by just a handful of manufacturers and everyone like Walmart and O'Reillys get to slap their sticker on them.

Before using it, I like to check the water level if not sealed, then charge it fully on a charger before installing and using it in a vehicle. I believe this yields a longer life on average. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
2005 22' Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5211, Chev. 6.0L
2015 6'x12' EZ Hauler, Duralite Aluminum Cargo Trailer
I live for this!... https://www.youtube.com/LeisureTimeLarry
WA Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used Wal-Mart batteries in cars and trucks for many years. Well priced, good warranty serviced nationwide. And they have provided good service.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
I have used Wal-Mart batteries in my cars and SUVs for years with no problems.
Isata 3 (SOLD!!!)
Tiffin Allegro RED 37PA on order (delivery late April)
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #7

Sams Club & Wallyworld sell battys made in US by East Penn.
Used many FLA and AGM both and had very good luck.
If for RV house... consider 2- GC2 6V in series. True deep cycle. Stay away from RV /Marine combo for the house... not a true deep cycle.
Don & Marge
'13 Newmar Ventana 3433 - '14 CR-V TOAD
'03 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y - SOLD
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Jayco Owners Club
Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List 2018
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
You are playing with handling margins. With Walmart sized operations product is either delivered to the store and invoiced to the company or delivered to a warehouse and delivered by Walmart or it's equivalent. That eliminates a middle man warehouse that stores and aggregates product loads and charges accordingly. That would easily account for the difference in price. Then, as a lot of folks have pointed out, Walmart sells decent batteries.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
Make sure you check water levels and date codes. If those check out should be fine. And then a little preventative maintenance goes a long ways
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
I went thru an awful time with Walmart batteries. On two different vehicles. they puked acid and destroyed windshield wiper pumps and battery trays. Couldn't identify the problem, everything checked out fine, but things got desperate and I replaced both alternators, but nothing changed. While Walmart replaced the batteries four times the problem continued. Finally gave up on the warranty and purchased good batteries, one of which is still in use, the other was in the vehicle I traded.

I sincerely believe that the aggressive buyers at Walmart beat down the battery suppliers for every nickle and they in turn produce the cheapest product possible. Sure, they are made by the same producer but I will not buy another.

The battery acid marks are in the garage floor as a reminder.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
After a full career in the consumer packaged goods industry, I can assure you that Walmart, or any large retailer selling products under their own brand name (Private Label), are having those products made to a certain spec in order to meet a specific price point.
Those specs then become Walmart's own specs, and Walmart can shop that contract around to any manufacturer to have those batteries manufactured.
Yes, there are only a few manufacturers and factories, but "Private Label" products are "never" built to the exact same standard as a manufacturing company's national brand name product.
Why would any national brand company do that, it only destroys their brand's credibility to have the identical product being sold at a lower price point.
In the case of batteries, you need to question if the lead cores are the same thickness and quality. Are the battery casings made of the same quality materials?
Whatever products are used in the manufacturing process, you have to question "if" all is equal.
Yes, the Walmart battery may perform well, and yes, the price is cheaper, and yes Walmart may cut out the middle man, but are we talking apples and apples comparisons.
If the battery has a national brand label, it probably has a specific model number and that number is built to a Walmart spec and that model number is not available to any other retailer (basically the same as Private Label).
This is common practice in the Mattress and TV industry to keep competitive.
The question was "are Walmart batteries as good" and not "are Walmart batteries less expensive".
Sure, Walmart batteries may be less expensive, but it begs to ask the question, why then are the big guys like, Trojan, Crown and Interstate still in business and used by all RV manufacturers?
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm needing to replace my 6 yr old 12V battery in my Colorado PU and have in the past used O'Reilly's brand of batteries but mine lists for $150. At Wal Mart the one for my PU (3yr full replacement, 2 additional years pro-rated) is $120.
Just wondering if they are reliable.
$89 here at Walmart in Clovis. $120 sounds high.

Are you buying an extended warranty?

I've been running Walmart batteries for many years with the exception of my six volt batteries that I bought at Costco.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
True and we'll written JIM B1

Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote