Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If he's fighting an inspection that hard, I'd walk, inspection or no.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Man, you guys are unreal. Like you're all in choir and in sync.
I guess your brand spankin new rig was just perfect too? Yea right.
I would'nt drive my MH or let a potential buyer or his agent drive my MH 50 miles to let a RV dealer inspect it. They break 3 things for every one they fix. Who will insure my MH for this waste of a trip, especially to a dealer. You'll probably have to wait 2 months before they a have a $10 hr trainee who will be instructed to find every trivial defect he can so they can sell their own rig to this guy.
Am I busy? if so who will pay for my time and fuel driving around and who will follow me and take me back home and then again to take me back to pick up my RV? If I have a POS and am desperate maybe the buyer can rule, but if I feel you are already getting a good deal, inconvenience yourself and your mechanic and come and inspect it.

Or buy some where else. And if that is from a dealer, the saleman will certainly tell you that they have already inspected it, (LOL) another "yea right"

'05 Damon Daybreak, 3270 on '04 P-32 Workhorse
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #45
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Trying to view it from the seller's side... inspections always find something and an inspector will sometimes call out anything that might possibly ever become a problem... except on a complex RV there are always things that might possibly become a problem. You see it all the time in home sales, the home inspection always finds something, important or not, and experienced buyers tend to know the drill and take it in stride while first-time buyers often freak out on every little thing. Since you are first-time buyers he may be concerned about the latter and figure that an inspection can only result in complications for the sale (and an unknown somebody going through the unit, hopelessly without harm but that's not guaranteed) for what he sees as more negotiations on a price he won't lower anyway. So he may truly just be worried about a waste of time and not wanting to do the inspection may not be any more nefarious than that.

I can see no reason for the seller to object to an inspection. Maybe the inconvenience of having to drop the rig off... then the buyer should bring a mobile mechanic.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Max49, you would never sell me anything. When we sold our last motorhome on a private sale, we delivered it to the inspection shop of his choice and waited until the inspection was completed and then drove the unit home. I watched the whole inspection and went with the mechanic when he drove the coach. Next day, we met the new owners to complete the deal. I had no problem letting the coach be inspected as I had nothing to hide.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I'd be worried about crash damage that isn't covered by warranty just for example.
Many people are not experienced with the tell-tale signs of body repair and re-painting. Recently at a CG a neighbor was proudly showing me the MH he had just purchased (from a major dealer).

Since it was the same year and model as mine I was interested, but it didn't take me more than a minute to realize that his had had a major body repair just forward of the passenger side rear wheel. Even though this repair was a pretty easy one to spot (the transition from one color to the next on the full-body paint wasn't precise and didn't match the other side exactly) there were other signs like a bunch of new parts visible in the undercarriage including the hydraulic leveling jack just behind the wheel.

Since this person clearly liked his new MH and either hadn't seen or wasn't bothered by the fact that it had been in an accident (although he did mention that it didn't handle well on the highway--didn't track straight) I wasn't going to comment on what I had observed. He bought it from a dealer he obviously had a good relationship with and it wasn't my business to stick my nose into the issue, but had he had an independent inspection this would have definitely been noticed.

If you bought a MH like this, your extended warranty wouldn't cover getting the chassis back into alignment even if you didn't mind the poor paint job.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #48
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Max49, you would never sell me anything.

That's OK TX iceman, if you can't inspect it at my place or get someone to inspect it for you while you watch, at my place, buy from someone you trust like a salesman at a dealer.
Parker, Colorado
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #49
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In today's market there are many more opportunities out there. You wouldn't buy a boat without hull inspection. Same thing on land.

Good luck!
2010 Damon Daybreak 3204 Sport, bunkhouse with Jeep Wrangler toad.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #50
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, you guys are right. I should let him take my MH and have it inspected. But of course it would only be proper that I hold his cash and inspect it while he inspects the MH.
I'm sorry , I guess I just forgot plain common sense.

And of course I inspect all of my own cars trucks boats and RVs before I buy them.
Parker, Colorado
Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #51
I just bought a motorhome from one of the biggest full-service dealers in the East. They have a big name and a big reputation and a long history to live up to. I told them I would be wanting an independent inspection. They had no objection to that and said that for my peace of mind I probably should. For $300.00 I hired an independent mobile RV repair technician to come out to the dealer's lot to inspect it.

There are literally THOUSANDS of RVs out there (trust me, I've looked at them). There is no good reason to buy without an inspection. You want to find someone to inspect for you? Google: Mobile RV Repair, your town, your state. Also ask for recommendations here and on other forums.

I wouldn't buy a new custom RV without an independent inspection! Human beings make mistakes! Gremlins are real!
bertnspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #52
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have him read this thread!
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #53
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
We are hunting for our first motorhome. We have extensive experience with purchasing large boats and find ourselves stymied with our first negotiations with a motorhome owner.
We found a 2007 Monaco we liked and after a test drive we came to an agreement on the sales price. We told the owner we wanted to have a local dealer do a pre-purchase inspection on it at our expense. He states he does not see the need for the inspection since he still has six months left on a transferable extended warranty. He says it will take care of any problems and no matter what it finds he won't go any lower on his price. We assured him we are not looking for a lower price but He will not budge on allowing the inspection. He also says he is too busy.
Are we being unreasonable making this a deal breaker? Should we see red flags?
Absolutely, you should have a prepurchase inspection. We nearly got burned on a deal recently and I would never purchase without one now. Walk away from the deal if he isnt willing to let you have the inspection. Something is fishy if he wont agree to it anyway. Be sure you are going to an RV mechanic who will check out all the appliances and systems and not just the mechanical parts of the coach and preferably someone certified.

Good Luck
shelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #54
When I was looking I looked at a coach from a private seller. First thing he said was since you never drove anything this big I will drive.He babied it and it still didn't shift right.When I mentioned it he said he already had it checked and if it broke in the first six months he would pay for half the repairs.I explained he could pay for the entire thing cause I wasn't buying.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #55
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
When I was looking I looked at a coach from a private seller. First thing he said was since you never drove anything this big I will drive.
That statement would have to be perfectly understandable.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
JohnSong3, Unless this is some Super Fantastic deal that just can't possibly be beat then be courteous and thank him for his time and go find another coach. An inspection will not guarantee anything but at least it might have given you a warm fuzzy feling about what condition the coach was in and what you may want to pay attention to. Or again, it may reveal something that might make you stop the purchase. Currently, you are not anything but some time. Get back on the web and search for another coach from someone who has no objections to an inspection even if you have to bring the inspector to the coach. Patience will pay off in the end.

Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote