Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
That statement would have to be perfectly understandable.
But I have driven tractor trailers that are a little larger. He never asked what my experience was.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #58

I'd say, No inspection-No deal. Also, if he agrees, then I would find an independant RV qualified mechanic.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
OK, you guys are right. I should let him take my MH and have it inspected. But of course it would only be proper that I hold his cash and inspect it while he inspects the MH.
I'm sorry , I guess I just forgot plain common sense.

And of course I inspect all of my own cars trucks boats and RVs before I buy them.

I wouldnt disagree with your position. Had a friend bring his car to a shop for an inspection and the request of the buyer that couldnt be present... so my friend waited in the lobby (foolish mistake #1) a couple hours. Mechanic brings out a laundry list of things that needed "replacement" badly. My friend, who is usually timid with stranger confrontations... said "no thanks" and wanted his keys/vehicle so he could leave.
Shop says he owed $120 for the inspection/diagnostic. of course the buyer cannot be reached my friend pays the bill and leaves. Buyer calls back a few days later saying he wasnt interested. I think he got conned... but thats just me.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
When I was looking I looked at a coach from a private seller. First thing he said was since you never drove anything this big I will drive.He babied it and it still didn't shift right.When I mentioned it he said he already had it checked and if it broke in the first six months he would pay for half the repairs.I explained he could pay for the entire thing cause I wasn't buying.
lol... bob thanks for the chuckle!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #61

Unreasonable??? Heavens no. Who's money is being spent here. There are far too many used motor homes on the market to bow to this mans objection to a pre-purchase inspection. Just yesterday I spotted 5 used motor homes parked near the highway (in a 40 mile stretch) with a for sale sign in the window. One of them was a really sharp Journey DP. The others were gas powered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the seller expects you to trust him on the condition of the coach then he should trust you as well. Inform him if he doesn't want to allow an inspection you can still work the deal at the agreed to price.

He can show you trust by allowing you to write a check for 1/2 of the agreed price and drive away in the coach. After you have it inspected, by a person of your choosing, you will write him a check for the other half, minus any cost to repair things found wrong and not covered by the warranty!

I'm sure he will extend you the same level of trust as he wants you to extend to him!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #63

Leave instantly. Too many other units that can be inspected are out there. Too much mechanical problems abound with this one. It cannot pass an inspection. If it could the seller would make arrangements to have it completed .
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No inspection, No deal! It's your money being spent, not his. Plenty of units out there and at good pricing. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #65

Absolutely not! Wouldn't you put a home inspection stipulation in a contract to purchase a new home, even if the current home owner was offering a warranty as happens a lot these days? Further, this is a lousy market in which to sell a MH these days; if I were the owner I'd be happy to have a potential buyer, unless I had something to hide.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
The OP posted his question on the 4th. Here it is the 9th, 5 pages of replies, yet not one reply from him. Wonder if he's even bothered to come back to read the messages?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #67

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When it comes to buying a used vehicle in what is called a "Private sale" (not from a licensed dealer) there are basically two types of people.

Those who INSIST on a proper inspection (And are willing to pay for it)

and those who the con artist refers to by the title "Mark". (That is victims)

So the question is not are you being unreasonable (No you are not)

It is are you smart to ask for an inspection (Yes you are).

You may be spending money without need,, However, You may not, There may be non-warranty issues the current owner is hiding, or other issues, and even if it is a Warranty issue, easier to fix it BEFORE the sale and not worry about it later.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
The OP posted his question on the 4th. Here it is the 9th, 5 pages of replies, yet not one reply from him. Wonder if he's even bothered to come back to read the messages?
I was wondering the same thing... perhaps he is depressed since he realized he can't get his dream coach since the owner wouldn't allow an inspection, or he had the inspection and learned it had problems, or he's sitting in the sun somewhere eating pomegranates and doesn't have computer access.

I'm sure there is a good reason because all of you who posted gave great feedback
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For Sale by Owner BYOI
(Bring your own inspector)
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #70
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
But I have driven tractor trailers that are a little larger. He never asked what my experience was.
OK but it was still a good line a little bit better than I'm the only driver on my insurance policy

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote