Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #141

Before I bought (and drove) my RV I would creep up and pass whenever possible. I did this primarily because I don’t like to not be able to see what’s up the road, but also because I was always in a hurry.

Now, I just drive like I’ve got all day. Much different when you’re driving a beast!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDr View Post
I follow the 3 second rule - at 60MPH I stay back 90 yards. When I'm towing, I stay in the right hand lane. In many states, that's the law.
For heavy vehicles, it's one second for every 10 feet of vehicle length, plus another second if traveling over 40 mph.

Just tested to upgrade my CDL, and it a test question.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
Old 12-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #143

Many states have cut back on road rage by introducing "Anti road rage" bills. Whats the key thing in an "Anti Road Rage" bill? Fining people for casually driving along in the left lane. Seems to make sense they are going after the people who think its their right sit in the left lane blocking traffic.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/anti-...t-of-left-lane
Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Many states have cut back on road rage by introducing "Anti road rage" bills. Whats the key thing in an "Anti Road Rage" bill? Fining people for casually driving along in the left lane. Seems to make sense they are going after the people who think its their right sit in the left lane blocking traffic.

Ticketing people for not speeding in the left lane reminds me of Louisiana's No Child Left Behind laws. It sounds great! Nobody wants a child to be left behind anywhere, so of course, the laws passed. As a result, a teacher can't fail a child because then that kid would have to repeat a grade and be left behind by all of his/her friends. The kids can't be held back a year for any reason at all. That's unfair! Now Louisiana high school kids have absolutely no reason to learn anything in school. As a result, Louisiana's public is getting stupider and stupider every year which makes it less likely for such a program to be voted out. Right now, my sophomore niece can't tell you how long it will take you to drive 80 miles if you're driving 80 miles per hour. She couldn't find Europe on a map or globe to save her life. Homework is not checked for accuracy; it's just checked to see if it was done or not. You can literally draw chickens on it and it's considered good.

Just because something is an "anti-road rage law" doesn't mean it actually combats road rage.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Ticketing people for not speeding in the left lane
You are not getting fined for not speeding. You are getting fined for breaking the law, sitting in the passing lane and not passing.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:29 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Ticketing people for not speeding in the left lane reminds me of Louisiana's No Child Left Behind laws. It sounds great! Nobody wants a child to be left behind anywhere, so of course, the laws passed. As a result, a teacher can't fail a child because then that kid would have to repeat a grade and be left behind by all of his/her friends. The kids can't be held back a year for any reason at all. That's unfair! Now Louisiana high school kids have absolutely no reason to learn anything in school. As a result, Louisiana's public is getting stupider and stupider every year which makes it less likely for such a program to be voted out. Right now, my sophomore niece can't tell you how long it will take you to drive 80 miles if you're driving 80 miles per hour. She couldn't find Europe on a map or globe to save her life. Homework is not checked for accuracy; it's just checked to see if it was done or not. You can literally draw chickens on it and it's considered good.

Just because something is an "anti-road rage law" doesn't mean it actually combats road rage.
I totally disagree with that. Zero consequences and allowing people to do whatever they want contributes to this entitled nation.

Regardless of the speed you are traveling the left lane is designed for passing. People have a zero right to impose their driving speed on others. Just be courteous and respectful and move over to allow others to pass.

The “no kid left behind” concept is wrong on many accounts and by having them move up without earning is is in fact leaving them behind and not teaching them earn it, kind of like a trophy for all.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #147

I always thought that most of the left lane hogs are there because they are basically oblivious. Now, from this thread I realize that there are folks there to "make a statement". It's the land of diversity and opinion.
No, you are not being law abiding by sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit. And certainly not being a good neighbor sitting there either. Have some respect for others. Why do you think those laws exist?

It is estimated the total world knowledge is now growing 2 times EVERY year (no idea how that is calculated). The kids are learning fine (general statement). They are just learning different things that Boomer's don't care to understand but that will be continuing the path towards advancement. I have no fear that my kids are "dumber" than I. Every generation has done better than the one before. This one will be no different. They will do a good job towards fixing some of the things our generation has pushed on them. But they will also do their own stupid things too. No different.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post

Studies have shown parking in the passing lane is the #1 cause of road rage. IMO these people are passive aggressive and just looking for trouble. Many states are passing laws to try and stop this although in our travels we see very little traffic enforcement.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #149

There seem to be a fair number of people who think no one should be in the left lane who is going slower than they want to go. I suspect they would be outraged if they were sitting in the left lane behind someone who wasn't passing and got pulled over since they were in the left lane and weren't passing anyone either.

Passing someone is passing someone, no matter how slowly you are doing it. The idea that you should slow down and pull in behind slower traffic to the right because the guy behind you is in a hurry is not what the law or common sense says. In fact, that person in a hurry would likely be outraged if you did, since they would have to slow down too until you got over. What they really want is for you to speed up, whether that's over the limit or not.

I can't wait for self-driving cars to end road rage by getting us emotionally challenged human drivers off the road.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
There seem to be a fair number of people who think no one should be in the left lane who is going slower than they want to go. I suspect they would be outraged if they were sitting in the left lane behind someone who wasn't passing and got pulled over since they were in the left lane and weren't passing anyone either.

Passing someone is passing someone, no matter how slowly you are doing it. The idea that you should slow down and pull in behind slower traffic to the right because the guy behind you is in a hurry is not what the law or common sense says. In fact, that person in a hurry would likely be outraged if you did, since they would have to slow down too until you got over. What they really want is for you to speed up, whether that's over the limit or not.

By the way, a cop isn't going to ticket someone for being stuck behind the slow driver, he may get ticketed for following to close but more than likely the person blocking everyone will be getting the ticket, I know several LEO's in (State and County) a state where it is illegal to block the left lane, they do not agree with the tailgating but they will pull the person over who is causing the traffic jam and educate them.

I can't wait for self-driving cars to end road rage by getting us emotionally challenged human drivers off the road.
I have not read one comment on here from anyone that said "nobody should be in the left lane", you're making crap up. however, I have read quite a few comments on here about "if I am doing the speed limit then I should be allowed to hang out in the left lane", I would say who these few commentators are but then I would be personally attacking them. Bottom line if you need to pass someone then get in the left lane and pass then get back over to the right lane, if you are going .5 mph faster than the person you are passing, get over speed up a little and then get back over in the right lane. How do you know your speedometer is correct? or if the other person who appears to be speeding or is speeding doesn't have an emergency. Just get out of the way and obey the law and let the police deal with the speeder.

I can't believe how hard it is for some people to understand that the left lane is for passing, or to be courteous to others on the road. My dad was a truck driver (a real one), he taught me the rules of the road before some of the rules were laws, apparently some of you (not saying who) needs to learn the hard way by getting a ticket or two.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #151
Community Administrator

This thread has run its course and the personal attacks have continued after a warning was posted. Thanks to all who participated within our Community Rules.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread