Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #1

Are you a tailgater?

Do you signify your desire to pass by riding the bumper of the car in front of you?

Is it your habit to follow close at all times? Do you need to take risks at freeway speed just to arrive a few minutes sooner?

Are you annoyed by people who drive the speed limit in the passing lane?

Or do you follow the 4 second rule?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #2

get out of the left if you are not passing!!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

I never trailgate except when someone dodges in from the left and takes my spacing. Then I have to back off again.

Left lane drivers tick me off and usually get this in my left window when I pass on the right.

DRIVE RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.pdf
Old 12-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

Passenger vehicle is 3 seconds following. Motor Home towing, 6 plus seconds and I back off the gas as soon as I see a bunch of brake lights! I hate having to panic stop the RV!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

One thing I can say with absolute certainty, a vehicle in the left lane of a divided highway that is pacing the traffic in the right lane and refuses to move over when able is creating an unsafe situation. They cause traffic to bunch up and that is a sure fire way to unmask the aggressive drivers as patience runs short and the erratic behavior begins.
Tom
Old 12-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
Do you signify your desire to pass by riding the bumper of the car in front of you?

Is it your habit to follow close at all times? Do you need to take risks at freeway speed just to arrive a few minutes sooner?

Are you annoyed by people who drive the speed limit in the passing lane?

Or do you follow the 4 second rule?
Are you expecting people to confess to being an idiot driver. Im guessing none will be responding.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
One thing I can say with absolute certainty, a vehicle in the left lane of a divided highway that is pacing the traffic in the right lane and refuses to move over when able is creating an unsafe situation. They cause traffic to bunch up and that is a sure fire way to unmask the aggressive drivers as patience runs short and the erratic behavior begins.
Tom
Yes, I've noticed many drivers who are angry. It's bizarre how some who are genuinely nice people become irrational and angry when beyond the wheel.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Are you expecting people to confess to being an idiot driver. Im guessing none will be responding.
Looks like some already have........
Old 12-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Which one is the idiot?
The left lane guy doing the speed limit riding next to the guy in the right lane doing the speed limit? Or the guy tailgating?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Which one is the idiot?
The left lane guy doing the speed limit riding next to the guy in the right lane doing the speed limit? Or the guy tailgating?
Both??

I never intentionally do that with the RV because those things just don't stop on a dime. By intentionally I mean there are times when someone will change lanes and get right in front of me. At that point I back off to a safe distance.

I do occasionally get fairly close with the car sometimes, which I know isn't safe, but it sometimes works.

Interstates aren't so bad because I know I will eventually get to pass. What gets me are the inconsiderate people who pass in a limited distance passing lane and won't allow anybody to pass them.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
As the signs read on most highways "keep right except to pass". Shouldn't be hard too
comprehend.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #12

The tailgaters don't bother me nearly as much as the ones that think rush hour traffic makes the perfect slalom course. I saw a guy on a motorcycle the other day doing about double the speed limit swerving in and out of traffic on a 4 lane highway, an accident waiting to happen in any number of ways.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I saw a guy on a motorcycle the other day doing about double the speed limit swerving in and out of traffic on a 4 lane highway, an accident waiting to happen in any number of ways.
I call those idiots "future organ donors".
Old 12-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Both tailgaters and people that drive in the left lane REALLY annoy me! I control my road rage but it ain't easy!
Closed Thread