Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #14897

I had an ice cream cone yesterday.
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #14898

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
You've got a MH named Gracie too?
Our old GPS was named George and when Gracie and George got together they could do some funny stuff...
George is my Suzuki Grand Vitara towed.

BTW we travel with two active GPS units and an Atlas.

Left Hamburg NY (just using one GPS) traveling for Lake Placid NY and ended up being guided into Bath New York. I've never totally trusted any GPS since then.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #14899

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
George is my Suzuki Grand Vitara towed.

BTW we travel with two active GPS units and an Atlas.

Left Hamburg NY (just using one GPS) traveling for Lake Placid NY and ended up being guided into Bath New York. I've never totally trusted any GPS since then.
We bought a new GPS and named her Prudence with high hopes... but she has not lived up to her name. Can't beat paper maps.

I've set someone up for the big 14,900!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #14900

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Kinda anticlimactic, isn't it?
Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #14901

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Kinda anticlimactic, isn't it?
That's what she said...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #14902

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
That's what she said...
Wow, didn't know you knew her.

Small world ain't it?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #14903

I agree, paper maps are the only trusted way to go. I have been lost many times depending on GPS and Navagatiion systems

Technology is not for us old folks.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #14904

Winnebago Owners Club
I have come to the conclusion the GPS will always get me to the location I entered. It has never gotten me lost. Well one time the Garmin just packed it in and had to be replaced. But it was on the right trail when it died.

The problem being is that it does not always go the most practical route. It will take you through subdivisions, on/off ramps, under low bridges and over gravel roads because it is limited by the logic of the programmers and the information in the database. If you tell it to take you the shortest route it will - even through the cow pasture!

We have ours set to avoid gravel roads, use the fastest route (uses mostly main roads) and avoid toll roads (bad decision as it will add 1000's of miles to avoid a single toll road - so since changed).

We find the Rand McNally included with the coach is dependable as it is customized for RV with our dimensions. That being said I am going to try to get it to take us down a road where I know there is a height restriction to see if it is aware. It does avoid the restricted CA roads.

The more I use it the more comfortable I am becoming with it.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #14905

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I have come to the conclusion the GPS will always get me to the location I entered. It has never gotten me lost. Well one time the Garmin just packed it in and had to be replaced. But it was on the right trail when it died.

The problem being is that it does not always go the most practical route. It will take you through subdivisions, on/off ramps, under low bridges and over gravel roads because it is limited by the logic of the programmers and the information in the database. If you tell it to take you the shortest route it will - even through the cow pasture!

We have ours set to avoid gravel roads, use the fastest route (uses mostly main roads) and avoid toll roads (bad decision as it will add 1000's of miles to avoid a single toll road - so since changed).

We find the Rand McNally included with the coach is dependable as it is customized for RV with our dimensions. That being said I am going to try to get it to take us down a road where I know there is a height restriction to see if it is aware. It does avoid the restricted CA roads.

The more I use it the more comfortable I am becoming with it.
Which RMcN do you have?
Once we got our 7720 on settings we like we just follow it.
We do keep a backup Magellan on Denise' side of the coach for her to check out that we are headed in the right direction.
That Magellan went nutz the last time we were in Calgary as it couldn't find any of the roads we were traveling on and had no idea of what to do.

I also like it's (RMcN) ability to download multi stop trips from the route planner they provide online.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #14906

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
I agree, paper maps are the only trusted way to go. I have been lost many times depending on GPS and Navagatiion systems

Technology is not for us old folks.
And here I thought it would be easier to use a GPS when one is being hurled out the business end of a cannon?

Youse learns something new every day.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #14907

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the XSG2NA-X1DM. At least that is what the manual says.

I wonder how difficult it is to fold a paper map while flying through the air with the wind whistling through you hair inside your helmet, butt clinched and mind screaming "no, No, NO"?

Could hand draw a map on a single page I guess. That way you could show the local attractions (cannon, proposed flight path, viewing stands, catch net, landing area). Later one could add the actual flight path and landing point for comparison. LOL
Old 10-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #14908

When being shot out of a cannon you don't need any type of navagation device to find the net. It is all mathematical calculstions. Maybe I have a dysfunctional or retarded GPS. BUT It does not know east from west or north from south.
I know my directions well enough , and I don't trust it any more.
I have had several GPS units and Navigation systems and every one has given me the wrong information at times. Paper maps are the way to go.
Technology is going to ruin our country and make us vulnerable to direct us in the wrong direction. What we need is more trees, so we can make more paper maps.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #14909

Winnebago Owners Club
UHHH - sounds risky to me. What if there is wind sheer during the flight?

I have had pretty good luck with GPS. We only had one issue with the GPS burning out.

Early in the game I discovered it was better to plan many short legs instead of one large route. We were on a motorcycle trip and I put the entire route in (10,000 miles). Was OK until we got off route because of a construction detour or going off route for fuel or food. Then the poor thing would calculate the entire route which took a long time.

Generally try to input the days destination.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #14910

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
UHHH - sounds risky to me. What if there is wind sheer during the flight?

I have had pretty good luck with GPS. We only had one issue with the GPS burning out.

Early in the game I discovered it was better to plan many short legs instead of one large route. We were on a motorcycle trip and I put the entire route in (10,000 miles). Was OK until we got off route because of a construction detour or going off route for fuel or food. Then the poor thing would calculate the entire route which took a long time.

Generally try to input the days destination.
I like short legs; Denise is 4 foot 7