Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #3053

Favorite sand has to be Glamis. Pismo is too rough for my standard travel & so much of it is closed down now. I did like Mamoth wash but thats pretty much still glamis sand. I think I went to Buttercup once (off the 8) but I was alone (so couldn't travel too far in) and found a lot of razor backs.
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #3054

This is my buggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-day 2010.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	21769  
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #3055

I like Glamis, but if you break down, it is a lot further for help or to get back to camp. Beside that, the people at BC are more likely to help you or share spare parts than they are at Glamis.

Nice color.

I got beat up with a short travel for 7 years. Going to long travel is like going from a VW to a Cadillac.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #3056

I camp with my dad & his buddies, they're like mac guyver and can fix anything with duct tape & ty wraps. The one time I didn't camp with them & I went on a run in Glamis I got left in the dunes! Not a fun experience!

I like my buggy... just need gears, better tranny & I'd like to bump it up to a mid travel. All my dads buddies have standard but they have honda engines so they can put through the dunes while I am workin it between 1st & 2nd. Need new paddles but need the bus tranny first.

My buddy took me for a ride in his long travel LS1... asked if I wanted to drive it and I said, hell no! If I drove that I'd probably never want to drive my buggy again! lol
Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #3057

Thanks on the color... we bought the paint (purple and glitter in the clear coat) and my dads neighbor shot it for a case of beer.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #3058

Sounds like your dad and buddies are a lot like me. Somebody once said of me that if Mikie can't fix it, it ain't broke.

My first rail was this 350 HP, mid-engine, 900 lb, 2276, turbo, injected, VW, making 25lbs boost.

Current rail & 33' Nomad Toy hauler. Got tired of having to unload to have a place to sit down,
so I bought the MH and a 20' enclosed.

Yeah, you drive a long travel and you will want one.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #3059

Nice Buggy's ,,,,I bet thats a lot of fun..
mat 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #3060

Thanks. It's fun when I get to go. $%@#% Ford blew up and I only got to go two times this season. I've always hated Fords, and that did not help to change my mind.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #3061

The (I guess you'd call him) leader of our group has a mid engine just like your first rail only his is orange. He got tired of changing tires so now he has another buggy for dirt / rock!

I have a 2110 VW engine, which I love, but my tranny is out of a carmengia and my gears are WAY too high for 2nd & 3rd. Dad had a buick engine (loved the power but it was too heavy & cracked his frame), now he has a honda.

This was our new years trip. (My dads is the green & he is standing by my purple one)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	21779  
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #3062

BTW ~ nice paint job... is that a roadrunner? I always go cheap on my paint, what with the arizona pin stripping & kids climbing in & out... not to mention the seat belts taking out chunks of paint... UGH!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #3063

Looks like a fun group. 2210 is a good engine, but you really need to get those gears changed. Don't remember the ratio, but I could dune all day in third gear. Same with the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

I put naugahyde around the frame rails and on the inside of my side panels to prevent seat belt ding.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #3064

What, no ACME anvil???
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #3065

... I designed that so Wile E. gets a face full of sand.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #3066

Maybe the sand should spell out ACME just to make it more... uhhhh authentic. lol

Ever been to Ocotillo Wells up by the salton sea? Really liked it there but can't seem to get my group to go.