Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #3753

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
You are correct, and personally, I do not visit doctors unless I'm sick with something that needs a prescription, as I pay for it all out of pocket.

My last primary care physician retired, so at the moment, I don't even have one to go to, yet.

I guess you are one of the lucky ones. I don't know how old you are but a lot of seniors do develop conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type II diabetes to name a few. I beleive the problems need to be watched by you and your doctor.

Let me tell you my "denial" or "it won't happen to me" story.

In my younger days I didn't go to the doctor on a regular basis. I had a great job that had me traveling all over the country. I sometimes got very little sleep. I drank too much alcohol and smoked a pack or more of cigarettes a day. I am 6'1" and at the time weighed 180 lbs. My BMI was 23.7, which for men my height and weight and my age was okay. Over the years I continued to drink heavily. I continued to smoke and I ate anything I wanted and didn't care how much I ate. I would occasionally go to the doctor and was warned about the excessive drinking, the smoking and the weight I was gaining. When I was 45 I quit drinking alcohol. That's another story. I went to the doctor about once a year for the next five years and during every visit I listened to his blah, blah, blah. At age 50 I visited my doctor. My weight had gotten to 215 lbs, my cholesterol was out of control and my blood pressure was high. My BMI was now 28.4, which is considered overweight and nearly in the range of being obese. I got the usual, "you need to lose some weight and you need to quit smoking" from the doctor. As he was examining me he listened to my carotid arteries. He didn't like what he was hearing. He sent me for a carotid ultrasound. The result was a 90% blockage in my left carotid artery. He warned me about doing nothing about it and suggested I see a cardiologist. I had never had any symptoms of anything being wrong. I had no dizziness, no shortness of breath, no chest pain and no pains in my arm. I ended up going to a cardiologist. The cardiologist suggested I undergo a cardio catheterization so that he could evaluate possible blockage in my coronary arteries. The cardio catheterization was performed in the local hospital. Once in the operating room the doctor made the incision in my right leg near my groin. I watched on a monitor as he guided the catheter and guide wire through my femoral artery, inching it closer and closer to my heart. Once in position he injected a iodine type of dye. After he got the x-ray fluoroscopy images he began to remove the catheter. During the removal of the catheter a small clot made its way to my brain. I had a stroke while on the operating table. I couldn't move my right arm or right leg. I tried to speak but couldn't. Lucky for me they were able to treat me instantly. The stroke symptoms lasted for 12 hours. The result of the cardio catheterization indicted that I had major blockage in three of the four main coronary arteries. I was a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. Due to the minor stoke I wasn't able to have open heart surgery until the vessel in my brain had healed.
A month after the stroke I am scheduled for a carotid endarterectomy and a triple coronary bypass. My neck was sliced on one side and my breastbone was cracked for access to my chest. The surgery was successful but after the surgery all I felt was pain, a lot of pain. They wired my breastbone back together and stitched me up. For a few weeks, it seemed that life wasn't worth living but I could remember what it life was like during the twelve hours of the stroke and I didn't want that to happen again.

I am now 63. I still don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke. After surgery I started eating healthier and started to exercise. I started walking two to four miles a day. Hiking became and is one of my favorite hobbies. Years later I started riding a bike again. I ride eight to twelve miles per day. I dropped the weight and got back to 180 lbs. I visit my doctor twice a year for a physical and have routine blood tests. I have been taking stress tests on an annual basis. So far, so good.

Some of you will laugh and make jokes but being overweight and not takling care of yourself can kill you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #3754

I'm not reading all that. All I want to know randco is, did they take out your funny bone while you were in the hospital? You're way to serious about just about every post in this thread. Lighten up!

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #3755

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand
100% of doctors are just practicing
I don't go to doctors....
The only worse things are lawyers, and the only thing worse than a lawyer is a politician, defined as "a lawyer to dumb to get rich at it"

I had an uncle who was a chiropracter....
I recall my aunt discussing at holiday dinners how "patient retention" is thier worst problem. Next thing out of her mouth was to admonish her husband to "quit curing people so quickly"!!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #3756

I hit mine every now & then just to make sure its there.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #3757

I have my doubts about doctors and hospitals at times. It's almost like they claim you have this and that just to gouge you so they can get a new car, etc.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #3758

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco

I guess you are one of the lucky ones. I don't know how old you are but a lot of seniors do develop conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type II diabetes to name a few. I beleive the problems need to be watched by you and your doctor.

Let me tell you my "denial" or "it won't happen to me" story.

In my younger days I didn't go to the doctor on a regular basis. I had a great job that had me traveling all over the country. I sometimes got very little sleep. I drank too much alcohol and smoked a pack or more of cigarettes a day. I am 6'1" and at the time weighed 180 lbs. My BMI was 23.7, which for men my height and weight and my age was okay. Over the years I continued to drink heavily. I continued to smoke and I ate anything I wanted and didn't care how much I ate. I would occasionally go to the doctor and was warned about the excessive drinking, the smoking and the weight I was gaining. When I was 45 I quit drinking alcohol. That's another story. I went to the doctor about once a year for the next five years and during every visit I listened to his blah, blah, blah. At age 50 I visited my doctor. My weight had gotten to 215 lbs, my cholesterol was out of control and my blood pressure was high. My BMI was now 28.4, which is considered overweight and nearly in the range of being obese. I got the usual, "you need to lose some weight and you need to quit smoking" from the doctor. As he was examining me he listened to my carotid arteries. He didn't like what he was hearing. He sent me for a carotid ultrasound. The result was a 90% blockage in my left carotid artery. He warned me about doing nothing about it and suggested I see a cardiologist. I had never had any symptoms of anything being wrong. I had no dizziness, no shortness of breath, no chest pain and no pains in my arm. I ended up going to a cardiologist. The cardiologist suggested I undergo a cardio catheterization so that he could evaluate possible blockage in my coronary arteries. The cardio catheterization was performed in the local hospital. Once in the operating room the doctor made the incision in my right leg near my groin. I watched on a monitor as he guided the catheter and guide wire through my femoral artery, inching it closer and closer to my heart. Once in position he injected a iodine type of dye. After he got the x-ray fluoroscopy images he began to remove the catheter. During the removal of the catheter a small clot made its way to my brain. I had a stroke while on the operating table. I couldn't move my right arm or right leg. I tried to speak but couldn't. Lucky for me they were able to treat me instantly. The stroke symptoms lasted for 12 hours. The result of the cardio catheterization indicted that I had major blockage in three of the four main coronary arteries. I was a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. Due to the minor stoke I wasn't able to have open heart surgery until the vessel in my brain had healed.
A month after the stroke I am scheduled for a carotid endarterectomy and a triple coronary bypass. My neck was sliced on one side and my breastbone was cracked for access to my chest. The surgery was successful but after the surgery all I felt was pain, a lot of pain. They wired my breastbone back together and stitched me up. For a few weeks, it seemed that life wasn't worth living but I could remember what it life was like during the twelve hours of the stroke and I didn't want that to happen again.

I am now 63. I still don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke. After surgery I started eating healthier and started to exercise. I started walking two to four miles a day. Hiking became and is one of my favorite hobbies. Years later I started riding a bike again. I ride eight to twelve miles per day. I dropped the weight and got back to 180 lbs. I visit my doctor twice a year for a physical and have routine blood tests. I have been taking stress tests on an annual basis. So far, so good.

Some of you will laugh and make jokes but being overweight and not takling care of yourself can kill you.
I'm sorry, but this story is nothing but a lesson in staying the hell away from doctors!
You went in healthy.
They talked you into a zillion dollar procedure.
And they damn near killed you doing it!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #3759

Not a fan... go as little as possible. In fact I don't even know who my dr is or where they are. Refused to take my kiddo to the dr after they told me I would wake up to a blue child (that he would be dead) and made me sign him out AMA.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #3760

That's what I was saying.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #3761

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I'm sorry, but this story is nothing but a lesson in staying the hell away from doctors!
You went in healthy.
They talked you into a zillion dollar procedure.
And they damn near killed you doing it!
Are you kidding me? How do you figure I went in healthy?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #3762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm not reading all that. All I want to know randco is, did they take out your funny bone while you were in the hospital? You're way to serious about just about every post in this thread. Lighten up!
I think the funny bone is still in place. I happen to think that one's health is not something to be taken for granted.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #3763

Let's all have some bacon,or maybe a Bacon Sundae from
Burger King.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #3764

Don't take life so seriously; you're not going to get out of it alive anyway.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #3765

I ain't gonin' to BK. It's 106s out there. I have shovellin' sunshine.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #3766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Don't take life so seriously; you're not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Are you sure? I'd like to see some statistics on that.