Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #3837

Does it count that you have salt flats and caverns?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #3838

Only if you trying for a land speed record in a vehicle or you are spelunker.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #3839
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
hmm.. thanks. I'll have to look into this more. I was told before that since salt doesnt evaporate, I would only have to add it once..
Bag of salt is about $20 once a year. You need the salt generator though.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #3840

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Bag of salt is about $20 once a year. You need the salt generator though.
If you have a salt generator, why do you need to buy salt. I have a voltage generator and I don't have to go buy any volts.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #3841
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If you have a salt generator, why do you need to buy salt. I have a voltage generator and I don't have to go buy any volts.
Ooooooo, aren't you the smarty pants!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #3842

Why, thank you. Just used a little logic.

Is it maybe a chlorine generator that needs salt?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #3843
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Maybe...who wants to know?

A chlorine generator's main function is to produce chlorine for the pool so you do not have to buy it, store it or handle it. These are big advantages for many pool owners. Chlorine generators, when functioning correctly, produce chlorine constantly (when the pump is running) with most units. The secret is keeping the cell free of calcium and mineral deposits--the cell itself is made up of precious metals-it must be maintained so it can continue to make chlorine.

Through the process of electrolysis, water passing over the chlorine generator cell produces chlorine that is instantaneously transformed into Hypochlorous acid. When any type of chlorine is added to water it ALL makes the SAME thing: Hypochlorous acid. It does not matter if it is Sodium Hypochlorite (liquid chlorine), Tri-chlor and Di-chlor or Lithium based, Cal-hypo or even gas chlorine--it all makes Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is the active sanitizer; this is what kills algae and other harmful stuff in the water. Its effectiveness is totally predicated on balanced water conditions and, more importantly, proper pH. So, with a salt water system or chlorine generator, you still must maintain your water balance (pool chemistry) properly. As long as you do this, a chlorine generator is a good choice.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #3844

I have a pool. It's an inflatable 8' ring pool I use if I get all hot and sweaty working around the house or on my MH. I check the chlorine and Ph daily and +/- as needed. It's a 2 year old POS that is probably going in the trash at the end of summer. It was only $50 at WM and came with a pump and three reusable filters. The water temperature got to 90° today. A little warmer than I prefer, but got the sweat off from working on my MH.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #3845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
No. Initially, you have to add a couple of bags of salt. I have to add between 1/2 and 1 bag of salt each spring when I open the pool.

Your salt water generator needs salt to make salt. By this I mean when you put salt in water it will dissolve. However, once broken down, salt wants to get back to solid. What your generator does is electrically break down the salt at a molecular level. Basically it zaps the salt molecule appart as it passes through the cell. You adjust the salt level by use of the controller. Once you get the hang of it, it is a simple system to operate and maintain the quality of your water.

I rarely have to add any chemicals other than a sun block additive to keep the sun from burning off my salt manufactured chlorine.
do you get algae with the salt water?
NIFFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #3846

overall which is more econonomical to run
NIFFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #3847
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I started with a "Mr. Turtle". 4' across and 10"deep. Available in one colour - Green. Came with a hard cover that looked like a turtle's shell.
Only one user at a time. Water had to be changed every other day due to algae. Doubled as a sand box unless you left the lid off, then it tripled as a litterbox.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #3848
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIFFIT View Post
do you get algae with the salt water?
Not if you maintain it properly. But easy to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIFFIT View Post
overall which is more econonomical to run
No comparison to Dunner's pool if that"s what you are refering to.

Ours is an above ground that operates the same as an inground. Same maintenance. Same type of liner except it has to be rated for saltwater. You can't just convert a standard chlorine pool to salt without making some changes. We bought ours originally as a saltwater setup.

Advantages are no burning eyes, soft on the skin, bathing suits don't rot off your body while swimming. Easy maintenance. I have (4) 4'x10' solar heater panels I circulate my water through. Adjusting temperature is as easy as opening and closing a valve. AND the heat is free! (once you pay for the panels)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #3849
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Let's get back to some silliness! All this serious talk isn't as challenging. I thought it might kill the thread.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #3850
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have a pool. It's an inflatable 8' ring pool I use if I get all hot and sweaty working around the house or on my MH. I check the chlorine and Ph daily and +/- as needed. It's a 2 year old POS that is probably going in the trash at the end of summer. It was only $50 at WM and came with a pump and three reusable filters. The water temperature got to 90° today. A little warmer than I prefer, but got the sweat off from working on my MH.
I started with a "Mr. Turtle". $3.99 at Walmart. 10" deep. Came with a molded lid that looked like a Turtle's back.
Had to change the water nearly every other day due to Algae. Only one user at a time. Doubled as a sand box. And (apparently) as a litter box if we accidently left the lid off.