Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #4691

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sarah, I love the turtles!

Cliff, I have a pool girl, costs me more than a pool guy, but DD is a keeper even with her 15 y/o attitude.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #4692
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Sarah & Cliff have you checked out A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool fantastic info! Already saved me a fortune in not buying chemicals. Water was crystal clear before I closed my pool today!

Les, do you park at the bottom of the drive and ride a snow machine to the house?
Is that a smart a$$ on the horn I hear?

No, I don't have to park at the bottom, I have a nice new F150 Lariat 4x4 that walks up the drive. It's not going up that's the problem. It's backing out of the garage and coming down that's the issue.

Here's what happens when all this crap melts then freezes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-892779158.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	28956

Name:	image-2449701443.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	28957

Name:	image-2555311072.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	28958

Name:	image-2030053009.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	28959

It was like black ice on the driveway. Even 4x4 didn't have a chance. $4000 for truck. $1000 for light post.

I love winter!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #4693
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
And here's the new plaster with my tile turtles installed...

We never "close" our pool; it stays open all year. Of course, it has water in it now.
That's a beautiful pool Sarah. Nice restoration!

Have you looked at converting it to a salt water?
I believe it's easily done.
How do you convert your above ground pool from chlorinated to saltwater
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #4694
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Sarah, I love the turtles!

Cliff, I have a pool girl, costs me more than a pool guy, but DD is a keeper even with her 15 y/o attitude.
I'm the only pool guy in my house. My DD is only 14 and still at that stage of not doing anything without a cattle prod in your hand.LOL

Whats your secret Ron?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #4695
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

We never "close" our pool; it stays open all year. Of course, it has water in it now.
Ours has water in it, but it's definitely closed!

Name:	image-429469556.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	707.9 KB
ID:	28961
Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #4696
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
That's a beautiful pool Sarah. Nice restoration!

Have you looked at converting it to a salt water?
I believe it's easily done.
How do you convert your above ground pool from chlorinated to saltwater
Thanks!

Nah. My hubby's twin brother has a saltwater pool and he has nothing but trouble with it. In 16 years of year-round service, we have replaced the filter once and the pump motor once, so it has been a good setup. The plaster was still in fairly good shape but had some stains and some loose tile, so we decided to go ahead and redo it.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #4697
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks!

Nah. My hubby's twin brother has a saltwater pool and he has nothing but trouble with it. In 16 years of year-round service, we have replaced the filter once and the pump motor once, so it has been a good setup. The plaster was still in fairly good shape but had some stains and some loose tile, so we decided to go ahead and redo it.
As I'm sure you know, there are so many variables in what makes a pool work and what it takes to keep your water stable. Some things as easy as keeping your pool covered when not in use goes a long way in stopping the sun from burning off all your chlorine. Amount of use is another big one. People cause issues with tanning oils, sunscreen etc.

I add a bag of salt in the spring and pretty much don't have to do anything else except add a stabilizer and a sun block maybe once through the summer.

I test my water every other day with a small swab and electronic tester. Minor adjustments are easy making care a breeze.

If you system works well for you, it makes sense to stay with it!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #4698

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I admire tenacity.

I had a pool once.

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #4699
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I admire tenacity.
I had a pool once.
I had a hot tub that I almost had to go to get a degree in chemistry to keep the chemicals stable. I hated that thing. Every time I got the water teted, I was having to buy a new chemical to counter the last stuff I put in.

I wouldn't have another one! AND given the trouble I had, have a hard time believing all hot tubs are cared for the way they need to be at the resorts a person stops at.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #4700

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had a Hot Springs spa for 17 years now, all I ever replaced was one filter cartridge, the small circulating pump that runs 24/7 and the cover. Oh and I had to fix a big crack that showed up one spring when I opened it.

As far as chemistry, I just use a floating bromine tab gizmo and watch the pH and disinfectant levels. I have one of those complex test kits that I haven't opened in 10 years. First couple of years I thought it was cool to use it in the winter after shoveling show to get to it. But it was just too cold getting out of it, bare feet and wet suit. So I run it from May to October now.

Man I hope this post doesn't kill the thread, it won't be the first time for me. Just trying to keep on point.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #4701

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dont they have a salt system for spa/hottubs too?

ya, they do.. https://www.google.com/search?q=spa+...a&channel=fflb
Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #4702
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Dont they have a salt system for spa/hottubs too?
ya, they do.. https://www.google.com/search?q=spa+...a&channel=fflb
Thanks Jim.

I'd look at this if I got another one.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #4703

Gawd we would love a hot tub... hubby with his messed up back & me with my terrible knee. Someday... hopefully!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #4704

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

Is that a smart a$$ on the horn I hear?

No, I don't have to park at the bottom, I have a nice new F150 Lariat 4x4 that walks up the drive. It's not going up that's the problem. It's backing out of the garage and coming down that's the issue.

Here's what happens when all this crap melts then freezes.

It was like black ice on the driveway. Even 4x4 didn't have a chance. $4000 for truck. $1000 for light post.

I love winter!
since I'm on the IPad I can't quote each post so read and you will see who the answers are for.

Thank god it wasn't the MH!!!!

Have you considered ice melt before you back out? :( sorry had to say it.

I get my DD to do the pool (or will this spring- she already knows) by saying No clean the pool- No money for the activities you do and No friends over to enjoy the pool. She was not happy to say the least but after forcing her to net leaves (before I got the cover installed) I think she finds it therapeutic. I do!

The salt water pool is very simple to maintain as long as you have the correct pump run time each day, only chemicals you ever need to add are a bag of salt if the level gets low and some muratic acid to decrease PH or Alkalinity if needed. A fountain or air jets will increase the PH & TA.

Sarah- watch your PH and calcium levels this year and next since you just had it replastered, the plaster will leach calcium into your water for awhile making it a little difficult to keep totally clear.

You can use salt in a hot tub but it's not ideal as the equipment isn't designed to handle it and you lose chlorine too fast from the heat. Some folks even add Epsom salt to their hot tubs.

If you are looking for a hot tub, you don't have to buy brand new! Craigslist, local papers,etc.. I purchased mine for $500.00. It's been great since day one.(7years) The key is make sure the one you are buying from someone is working when you go look at it. I had the guy fill mine back up(was drained for sale) then came back 2 days later. It was nice and hot and all the jets worked. We turned it off, drained into his snow filled yard, removed the insulated cover and put it on a trailer for home. Shop around, I must have looked at 15 used and 20 new before I bought. Some folks refused to fill and turn on- those were the ones that are still for sale today!

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote