Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #6483

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1
If your on salary then you can belong to an illegal union. That means you can have bacon as long as no one catches you.
I'm not in a union but still have to sneak bacon. Dr. wants it all for himself. Says I should limit my bacon intake. Fat chance. Looking into bacon eaters local now.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #6484

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Looking into bacon eaters local now.
With the nature of this august group wouldn't a bacon eaters international be more apropos.

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #6485
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
That won't happen between mid to late August. Too many family activities going down on the Island.

My buddy and his lady are getting married so we have to stick around for that for sure. I'm really happy for the guy because he's not been the same since his wife passed away and I want him to be as happy as me.

You figure out what that means; OK?
I do understand, I really do.

(I'm probably in trouble now.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #6486

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
With the nature of this august group wouldn't a bacon eaters international be more apropos.
We already have achieved International status. I have ingested bacon here in Canada and the U.S.

We can picket the Doctor's to get our share of Bacon back!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #6487

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So I'm working on getting my Professional Pyrotechnical license (display operator) our state law requires you to complete three shoots with a licensed outfit before you can even attempt the test. Needless to say most folks that have the license don't want anyone "helping" as you could be their competition when you get your license.

It's been 10 years ( yes, 10 years) and more phone calls than I can count, but I finally got 2 companies to let me help set up and shoot with their crews. My first shoot was on the 3rd at the Country Club! Halfway down the first fairway. I feel sorry for the grounds crew, man there were tons of burn marks and depressions from the mortar racks.
Three of us spent the better part of 4 hours, placing the racks, measuring distances, stabilizing the racks to ensure no tip overs, cleaning out the mortar tubes, loading shells, assembling , quick match and ematches. All in all we set off 5 inch shells, 4 inch shells, 3 inch shells and a bunch of cakes.
The GC manager wanted a longer show then he paid for so we removed half of the electronic matches and hand lit them.

Here are a couple of pictures, couldn't get the video will load as well. (zoom in to see the true size of the racks!
Attached Images

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #6488

I'm hyper and would be shakin' like a leaf... every time I touched a shell.

What amazes me is some of that blasting primer cord burns at something like 3000 ft/sec.... Or did I hear that wrong years ago?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #6489
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
So I'm working on getting my Professional Pyrotechnical license (display operator) our state law requires you to complete three shoots with a licensed outfit before you can even attempt the test. Needless to say most folks that have the license don't want anyone "helping" as you could be their competition when you get your license.

It's been 10 years ( yes, 10 years) and more phone calls than I can count, but I finally got 2 companies to let me help set up and shoot with their crews. My first shoot was on the 3rd at the Country Club! Halfway down the first fairway. I feel sorry for the grounds crew, man there were tons of burn marks and depressions from the mortar racks.
Three of us spent the better part of 4 hours, placing the racks, measuring distances, stabilizing the racks to ensure no tip overs, cleaning out the mortar tubes, loading shells, assembling , quick match and ematches. All in all we set off 5 inch shells, 4 inch shells, 3 inch shells and a bunch of cakes.
The GC manager wanted a longer show then he paid for so we removed half of the electronic matches and hand lit them.

Here are a couple of pictures, couldn't get the video will load as well. (zoom in to see the true size of the racks!
Now THAT is cool Ron!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #6490

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm hyper and would be shakin' like a leaf... every time I touched a shell.

What amazes me is some of that blasting primer cord burns at something like 3000 ft/sec.... Or did I hear that wrong years ago?
The quick match we use burns at 80ft/second. I believe there is some military and construction grade detonation cord that burns at 3k ft per second.

I think the coolest part is the feel of the concussion when a triple set of 5inch shells launch at the same time! The sound is awesome(yes, earplugs are a must) the pressure wave is phenomenal!!! I've been around all types of military ordinance and the only thing that comes close is dropping 155mm rounds when the tube is ground mounted.

Les, it is unbelievably cool!! Get your company to order up a show and I'll come set it off! You and the rest of the gang can be part of the crew... (the provide beer and food crew after the show!! )

If Cliff and Talulah would have made the party this year they could have seen my backyard show and the new pool plus this one!

Oh, BTW- my son graduates AirForce Basic training on the 12th. We're driving down to San Antonio next Tuesday.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #6491

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I believe there is some military and construction grade detonation cord that burns at 3k ft per second.

Unbelievable! Over a mile in less than a second. Zippppp........... BOOM!

I wonder how the concussion compares to a 4-wide AA-fuel race.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #6492
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The 3k ft per second det cord is what demolition companies use for blowing down buildings and other structures.

There used to be a program called "Blow Down" that was one of my favourites.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #6493

Musta missed it. At 3k per second, that wouldn't be hard.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #6494

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, let's get this straight, pyro party at Les' place and we all get to sit around and slosh suds. I'm in. Woot!!
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #6495

Does he deliver?

And the suds aren't till after the flames....
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #6496
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Suds are in the fridge.