Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #6553

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Told ya.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #6554

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
As long as ya can spell Bacon - you're ok on this thread. In fact it's what keeps it going. I think a bacon scented diesel additive is long past due myself.
The diesel truck in this clip had a very different odour when running. The O/O claimed he had some sort of after burner system installed to keep the pipes clean and the black smoke to a minimum. I noticed the pungent and not unpleasant odour when he fired up to move the truck for loading.

I was involved with hand loading by pail the smoltes in this news article. CHEK NEWS I was asked to sub at the last minute because the regular volunteer couldn't be there. We started filling the tank by ten gallon pail at 6:30 this morning and we released the fish about ten miles down the Alberni Inlet near Macktush Campground at around 2:30 pm.

At the 1:11 mark the big fat guy in black, back to the camera, securing the discharge chute is yours truly. BTW there were just two of us hand bombing those fish into the tanker.

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #6555

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Possum - gonna have to give er a go on on my laptop tomorrow. Before it crashed my old iPhone, I did catch that it's aboot

Salmon - Smolts - Chinook - and something you referred to as fish. Boy. You Canadians got four words for everything 'eh.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #6556

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis - gotta hand it to ya. That was pretty cool!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #6557

Quote:
As long as ya can spell Bacon - you're ok on this thread. In fact it's what keeps it going. I think a bacon scented diesel additive is long past due myself.
HA HA HA HA HA
I converted my Kubota tractor to run on BIO DEISEL
I was burning oil out of my fryers... after a severe straining...( Oil filters and electric pump) Then settling for a couple of weeks..When the tractor was running, It smelled like bacon flavored FUNYUNS
My Neighbors would come out and gimme crap...The next day they'd be at my grill ordering what smelled so good last night...I use T-N-T Bacon fat to light my Smokers...That smells sooooooo good on fire up
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #6558

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Possum - gonna have to give er a go on on my laptop tomorrow. Before it crashed my old iPhone, I did catch that it's aboot

Salmon - Smolts - Chinook - and something you referred to as fish. Boy. You Canadians got four words for everything 'eh.
Steve,

I don't eat Salmon or fish for Salmon but being our area thrives on the tourists coming to town to fish for the species I thought I would do my part while learning something new and assist the effort.

I don't wear ehboots I use gum boots and I didn't realized that either showed in the video, so that means you have sharper eyes than this old coot.

There are about five descriptors for every species of Salmon up here. What the Americans refer to as Kings we call springs and those tend to show up as Winter Springs, then Early Springs and these are followed by Late Springs, the Chinook species spawn in cycles but the sneaky over zealous Jacks (two year olds) sneak back early to assist the gene pool spread and help fertilize the eggs of the returning females. Betcha didn't realize that when you volunteer you find out all kinds of information the average person is made privy too. I woke up this morning feeling sore all over, but feeling good about being able to help and I enjoyed learning all the stuff I had no idea was out there to learn.

Now I wait four years or so to see if yesterday helped the future with higher returns. I now have a vested interest in what happens to our Salmon stocks.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #6559

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis - I hope all of your stocks appreciate - both in value and numbers.

In the first few sentences the news guy called em all three names and was thinking - he forgot Lox. But that's another salmon altogether me thinks.

It just reminded me of the old Steve Martin joke. Ah, the French. They've got a word for everything.

I guess the thing that I wondered most about is how the folks got into it, only to find no market and lose $50k. Had to hurt a bit.

So question from an inquiring mind. They were 1.5 years old - hold big will they be when they return in 4 years? 2 entrees or three?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #6560

How embarrassing... It didn't break 100 yesterday...

But we did have 42 days over 100. Back up to 110 in a couple days.

Now, returning you back to off-topic.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #6561

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Uh oh. Text just in....
Papa John's Promo Alerts: LG BBQ Chicken & Bacon or Hawaiian BBQ Chicken & Bacon $11, Code: TXT712 @ participating http://PapaJohns.com/n Reply STOP to cancel

Bacon or bacon. Decisions - decisions.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #6562

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Dennis - I hope all of your stocks appreciate - both in value and numbers.
For me it matters not, I neither fish for nor eat Salmon. I was doing it for my friends.
Quote:

In the first few sentences the news guy called em all three names and was thinking - he forgot Lox. But that's another salmon altogether me thinks.

It just reminded me of the old Steve Martin joke. Ah, the French. They've got a word for everything.
Trust the French to do that eh?
Quote:

I guess the thing that I wondered most about is how the folks got into it, only to find no market and lose $50k. Had to hurt a bit.
It was a bit of an experiment for the company. They also supply other jurisdictions with fry fish.
Quote:

So question from an inquiring mind. They were 1.5 years old - hold big will they be when they return in 4 years? 2 entrees or three?
The problem really stems from out DFO insisting on maintaining bad practice. They want the fish to hatch in the fall, be force fed for three months and then released in the spring, too young and much too small. It's a matter of a bureaucracy in eastern Canada making decisions on fishery matters of the west coast.

The fisheries in Oregon and Washington commonly release 1.5 year olds into the system. Our return rates in Canada with the present rates are abysimal and the rates south of us much better. These things should return about 20# if I remember correctly.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #6563

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Dennis good job!! Lets hope they all come back, no reason they won't. It is when they get back that the problems start. The DFO is seriously out of touch on most issues.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #6564

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dennis et al,

The only thing that should be a problem to their return is the bazzilion things in the Pacific that eat other things in the Pacific. The higher return rate is predicted because the fish were released at a much larger size than the standard release size is at present so that eliminates a lot of the predators the smaller fish face.

We are hoping the higher return numbers predicted come to fruition and the DFO takes a re-look at their present enforced practices and get with a better program. You know how well bureaucracies in Canada adapt to change.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #6565

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Uh oh. Text just in....
Papa John's Promo Alerts: LG BBQ Chicken & Bacon or Hawaiian BBQ Chicken & Bacon $11, Code: TXT712 @ participating Papa John's Delivery or Carryout Pizza - Order Online and have your pizza delivered. Reply STOP to cancel

Bacon or bacon. Decisions - decisions.
Try the Bacon.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #6566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Why don't pencils fall under the same rules for other stuff that children might chew/eat? Is it because there is not enough room on a pencil to stamp a 500 word government warning label? Now I'm starting to feel unsafe since none of my pencils have a warning label.

But honestly I have no room to criticize ... one time I tore off the little tag on a mattress that said "Warning Do Not Remove .... Under Penalty of Law ... ". Yep, I did it. Now I feel better having come clean and fessed up.
Moonrover, there is a warrant out for your arrest for removing the mattress law tag! :-) Actually, that warning is for mattress manufacturers and mattress retailers. Federal and state inspectors use the tags to be able to trace down the origination of the mattress (and it's components). So, if it catches on fire or contains components harmful to your health, they know who to sue! :-)