Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #12349
Senior Member
 
usnret997's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: milton, Florida
Posts: 196
yes he does LOLT

Navy out Beautiful sunset over the Gulf of Mexico. (Pensacola Beach)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	104427
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy Corpsman. Fare winds and following seas.
98 Damon Day Break F53 chassis.
LT & D. Trixie, Marley and Leo
usnret997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #12350
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,576
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Les, what site are you in?
What is you checkout date?
We're in site 115 at Living Forest. We leave Wednesday. Lots of calls and appointments on the Beaver so we'll finish our holidays at home and hopefully sell this rig.
__________________

__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #12351
Senior Member
 
Possum's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cherry Creek, BC Canada
Posts: 7,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
We're in site 115 at Living Forest. We leave Wednesday. Lots of calls and appointments on the Beaver so we'll finish our holidays at home and hopefully sell this rig.
OK with you to do a Mini "C" on Tuesday? May drag our camping buddies along as they live a couple miles away from were you're at
__________________
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #12352
Senior Member
 
LarrytheBear's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok Bear, I'm out here in Southern Ut. so strike your path across this section and we can have a first ever Killer Planning Session! Will be in Moab in about a week. Of course at the rate your traveling Santa Claus will get here before you do!

Killer Planning Session, that would make a great name for a rally, till you try to book into a park using it!
Hey, we made it into MO today. Our trail leads to Lincoln, NE and then to the Badlands. Looks like we won't cross paths this time. You can buy my lunch next time.
Thread killin' might work if everybody would get on the road and leave their "devices" at home.
If you called it "Thread Preservation Consortium" that might work...
__________________
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #12353
Senior Member
 
Moonrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
... Lots of calls and appointments on the Beaver so we'll finish our holidays at home and hopefully sell this rig.

Do you have another RV in mind? What brand have you not tried?
__________________
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #12354
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,576
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Do you have another RV in mind? What brand have you not tried?
2016 F350 Lariat and a newer 37' Mobile Suites or Grand Design 5er.

Possum, Tuesday sounds great.
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #12355
Senior Member
 
Moonrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
2016 F350 Lariat and a newer 37' Mobile Suites or Grand Design 5er.

If I may be so intrusive to ask ... what is your reasoning behind the switch from the Beaver to a 5er?
__________________
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #12356
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
2016 F350 Lariat and a newer 37' Mobile Suites or Grand Design 5er.

Possum, Tuesday sounds great.
No perfect set up, we had several 5'ers and now we have a Class A Winnie.
They all have there pros and cons. With our Dog the MH seems to fit our life style better now.
__________________
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #12357
Senior Member
 
Moonrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
... With our Dog the MH seems to fit our life style better now.

Ah, your dog has a vote in the decision too, eh? Our cat is the tied vote breaker. He didn't want slide outs because he had a neighbor cat friend that suffered an early demise in a retracting slide. Eeewww ... messy!
__________________
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #12358
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,576
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
If I may be so intrusive to ask ... what is your reasoning behind the switch from the Beaver to a 5er?
My post from another thread:

We are fed up with the coach and the costs of maintaining it. We have ours up for sale currently and as soon as she's gone we are buying a new F350 Diesel truck and are currently looking for a 5er.

This is our 6th coach. There is always something to fix and every time it goes into the shop, the bill seems to start at $1,000.
This isn't just this coach, it's been every one. I watch others in this forum and see all the issues they have with theirs so I'm not alone.
Yes there will be proponents for owning a coach that will say they will spend minimal on repairs but they are lucky.
These beasts need maintenance and the cost to maintain them, unless you are a heavy duty mechanic with $20,000 in tools in your compartment, or you are fairly well off financially, you are going to spend $$$$.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

There are definite pluses to owning a coach, like DW making you a sandwich while driving, or using the facilities while moving, but you, the driver, can't. I'm sure I will be able to walk the additional 30' to use my 5er instead of the 10' in my coach once I pull over to stretch my legs anyway!

Personally, I have to have a truck for work. Currently I tow my truck 4 down. However, for me, I'm maintaining 2 powered vehicles. My truck I can write off the expenses. The coach I can't. The coach is the most costly of the two.

I've done the pros and cons. For me the truck and 5er wins.
Let's assume you don't do any maintenance yourself on the coach cause you're not a heavy duty mechanic.
Oil change truck $85.
Oil change coach $400
Tires truck $1500
Tires coach $3500
Air filter truck $59
Air filter coach $300
Brake job truck $600
Brake job coach $3000
Fuel pump truck $1100
Fuel pump coach $4500

Yes the coach is good for quick overnight stops but I see people with 5ers stopping at Walmarts overnight and not setting up all the time.
The only time saver between the two is setting the jacks and I plan on my 5er having auto leveling.
As for fuel saving by having a smaller toad as a driver? I'm saving fuel using my diesel truck towing over the poor mileage my coach gets towing. So I spend a bit more as the truck becomes my driver. To me that's a wash.
Insurance is way cheaper for the truck and 5er compared to the coach and toad. Likely half. AND I don't need a $5000 3 year maintenance warranty for the 5er for when it breaks down.

That's just my opinion and my analysis. There will be lots of those for and against but the cost factor is my driving force behind my decision. There is little costly repairs on a 5er and my truck will come with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for 60,000 kms and 100,000 kms on powertrain.

No brainer for me!
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #12359
Senior Member
 
Moonrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685
Dog ... good sound reasoning.
__________________
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #12360
Senior Member
 
huntnski's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
My post from another thread:

We are fed up with the coach and the costs of maintaining it. We have ours up for sale currently and as soon as she's gone we are buying a new F350 Diesel truck and are currently looking for a 5er.

This is our 6th coach. There is always something to fix and every time it goes into the shop, the bill seems to start at $1,000.
This isn't just this coach, it's been every one. I watch others in this forum and see all the issues they have with theirs so I'm not alone.
Yes there will be proponents for owning a coach that will say they will spend minimal on repairs but they are lucky.
These beasts need maintenance and the cost to maintain them, unless you are a heavy duty mechanic with $20,000 in tools in your compartment, or you are fairly well off financially, you are going to spend $$$$.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

There are definite pluses to owning a coach, like DW making you a sandwich while driving, or using the facilities while moving, but you, the driver, can't. I'm sure I will be able to walk the additional 30' to use my 5er instead of the 10' in my coach once I pull over to stretch my legs anyway!

Personally, I have to have a truck for work. Currently I tow my truck 4 down. However, for me, I'm maintaining 2 powered vehicles. My truck I can write off the expenses. The coach I can't. The coach is the most costly of the two.

I've done the pros and cons. For me the truck and 5er wins.
Let's assume you don't do any maintenance yourself on the coach cause you're not a heavy duty mechanic.
Oil change truck $85.
Oil change coach $400
Tires truck $1500
Tires coach $3500
Air filter truck $59
Air filter coach $300
Brake job truck $600
Brake job coach $3000
Fuel pump truck $1100
Fuel pump coach $4500

Yes the coach is good for quick overnight stops but I see people with 5ers stopping at Walmarts overnight and not setting up all the time.
The only time saver between the two is setting the jacks and I plan on my 5er having auto leveling.
As for fuel saving by having a smaller toad as a driver? I'm saving fuel using my diesel truck towing over the poor mileage my coach gets towing. So I spend a bit more as the truck becomes my driver. To me that's a wash.
Insurance is way cheaper for the truck and 5er compared to the coach and toad. Likely half. AND I don't need a $5000 3 year maintenance warranty for the 5er for when it breaks down.

That's just my opinion and my analysis. There will be lots of those for and against but the cost factor is my driving force behind my decision. There is little costly repairs on a 5er and my truck will come with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for 60,000 kms and 100,000 kms on powertrain.

No brainer for me!

So what your saying is your on the fence, not quit decided, could go either way!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Dog ... good sound reasoning.
Remember who said that now!


Good luck on the sale and repurchase, I know what you mean. We had a 5er and almost never had any problems.
__________________
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #12361
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,576
Blog Entries: 8
No fence here LOL. Just a matter of time.
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #12362
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 385
Advice is cheap, but I will throw my two cents in.

I had motorhomes for years, including a DP (which was expensive to buy and operate). I moved to motorhomes as financial fortunes changed. The gassers were not has much fun to drive, but much cheaper to maintain and just as quiet as the DP when parked.

Too much info. Sorry. I decided to change to a fifth wheel and pick up. Perhaps easier and cheaper to maintain, but for me a monstrous problem to operate and park. And this was not a large unit. I know much is a personal problem with me. But after 18 months I am back to a motorhome.

Not knowing your experience level, I do not mean to offend, but if you have not operated a pickup and fifth wheel, especially a large unit, please to find someone who will let you operate theirs for a while.

There is nothing similar between operating a motorhome and fifth wheel.

Been there, done that and back again to the motorhome.

Good luck whichever direction you go!

Richard
__________________

__________________
Richard
RoadRohrers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding A Post To A Thread Over 209 Days Old? GaryKD Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns 3 08-31-2010 05:12 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.