Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #127

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Kay, depends on the kids & the training the kids get. As I stated earlier, I'm confident in what my kids would do if they found a gun.
I was confident my teenaged son knew not to play with my BB/pellet gun unsupervised and found out later he had been playing with it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #128

Then if you have them, & not within reach, they need to be kept locked up

Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My brother and I were raised with firearms in the house and one was always loaded. Need a shotgun to keep the varmits out of the chicken house. I had BB gun at 6 years old, a .22 when I was 9 and deer rifle when was 12.. We were raised with firearm safety being first and foremost. Firearms were a tool and not a toy. Too many people have no idea of what a firearm is capable of. You have to teach firearm respect and responsibility from a young age.

Ken
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #130

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I was confident my teenaged son knew not to play with my BB/pellet gun unsupervised and found out later he had been playing with it.
You cannot be confident of anything that teens will do. The solutions involve locks where all doubt is removed. For long guns, a full gun safe is the answer. For handguns, there are several varieties of biometric type safes that can yield their contents in factions of a second but are immune to teen age entry attempts.

I agree with TXIceman. Generations of familes have been raised in houses where loaded guns were the norm. Today, some people believe that purchasing a gun is a solution all by itself. Like many other decisions that we can make, guns come with consequences and you need to be prepared to deal with ALL of them.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #131

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
You cannot be confident of anything that teens will do...
That was the point I was making.

In my case, I took the BB gun to my parents house; it was easier and cheaper then trying to lock it up.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #132

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
That was the point I was making.

In my case, I took the BB gun to my parents house; it was easier and cheaper then trying to lock it up.
Each of us needs to solve the problems that we face in our own way. I'm a fan of working with teenagers to teach responsible actions so making guns available to use with those lessons is important to me. I would much rather have the guns available for me to reinforce concepts like the 4 rules of safe handling than to risk a teenager's curiosity coming out at a friend's house where the parents might have less well controlled guns.

To me, this circles directly back to main part of this thread. I'd admit that having firearms in an RV is especially challenging if there are children and teenagers around. We are planning a 15 day RV trip with our 8 year old granddaughter and want to do everything to keep her safe. I'm already starting to teach her about guns and how to safely handle them. There is a fine line between making sure that we are able to defend ourselves in a rapidly developing situation and absolutely guaranteeing that she cannot accidentally come into contact with something that she isn't supposed to.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #133

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
I've been called a skeptic. I've also experienced murphy's law. Did I mention that I don't sleep with any windows open or doors unlocked cause I was raised that you do everything in your power to try to prevent being a victim. In the off chance that either of my kids were to hurt themselves (even with training, cause it does happen) with a gun that I could have prevented them from coming in contact with, I would completely blame myself & don't know how I could deal with that.
Nothing in life is ever 100% so there are potential consequences for every action that we take. There can be unexpected consequences of actions that we don't take as well.

In a parallel example, I'm a musician who plays woodwind instruments. I need every finger that I have to do that. I also do a lot of wood working and am around power equipment of all kinds including table and radial arm saws. I'm conscious every second that a saw blade is spinning that a musical career ending injury is only inches away. I treat the saws with a great deal of respect and will never risk putting my hands in harm's way. There is no cut into wood that is worth that. But I'm also not going to stop using the saws. There is something very satisfying about shaping wood and seeing the results come together.

Consider this: how would you feel if your family was attacked and harmed and you COULD have had the means to prevent it? I do realize that Canada, like the UK and Australia has both chosen to severely limit that capability and to even discourage that sort of a response by prosecuting those who attempt it. In the US, similar circumstances exist in much of the Northeast and IL. NJ is especially bad and yet has horrific crime rates especially around the bigger cities.

I find no sense of nobility in being a victim and not responding. As has been mentioned several times, those of us who have gray hair are naturally perceived as potential victims more often than a strapping 6 foot plus football player type would be. With proper training and the experience of practicing for it every day, being prepared for an ugly situation is no more difficult than my using my table saw. Prudence is the key.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #134

After reading some more posts I feel I must reiterate what I stated in an earlier post. I'm tempted to use capital letters for this but I won't. The place for a self defense weapon is at your finger tips. I would never leave a gun laying around anywhere there are kids. If its in my right front pants pocket then it's not a problem. A gun intended for self defense is completely useless unless it's at your finger tips. These days there are very small light weight pocket pistols that are .380 in caliber which is more that enough to kill someone, especially at close range. Most are double action only so they don't have or need a safety latch. They are completely safe to bash and knock around. I use a Ruger LCP and sometimes I carry an OMC Backup but it's not made anymore. There are plenty of others available. Just go to a big gun shop, talk to people there and do your research before you go. See what they have available. This whole business about shotguns by the bed side, locking guns up, etc. IS MAKING MY HEAD EXPLODE!! (sorry for the caps )
Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #135

Graf, like I said earlier any gun not within reach should be locked up. We have 4 in our household , 1 is almost always on my hip, the other my wife. The others are locked up in a digital safe when not in use. The ones that we normally carry are also locked up when not wearing them or not within reach. That being said, children should still be taught about gun safety & proper handling of firearms if they are around.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #136

You gun tooters make it sound like it's the old wild,wild west.
that you have to pack "heat" as you say, to stay safe.
that there is a bad guy around every corner.I have camped for
twenty plus years, never had anybody try to rob me,try to
break into my trailer at night.have never seen anybody shoot
up the the campground,so far what I have seen is people with
guns seam to get them selves in trouble.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #137

I could say the same only it would be 30+ years. I have seen a lot of changes in the years though. Got a young, rough, drug infested crowd that camps in parts of Glamis now and you can bet they're packin'.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #138

We don't camp in the Dunes,have nothing against them
we just pick more quite and peaceful places to camp.
also check reviews on campground we are going to although
not always accurate.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #139

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
You gun tooters make it sound like it's the old wild,wild west.
that you have to pack "heat" as you say, to stay safe.
that there is a bad guy around every corner.I have camped for
twenty plus years, never had anybody try to rob me,try to
break into my trailer at night.have never seen anybody shoot
up the the campground,so far what I have seen is people with
guns seam to get them selves in trouble.
Past performance does not guarantee future results, as my financial advisor often reminds me. Has your camper ever caught fire? Probably not. Do you carry a fire extinguisher? I'd bet you do. So, why carry the extra weight if you've never had a fire?

I don't "pack heat" in my RV because I need to feel safe. I do so because I need to feel well prepared.

Just as I have (now three) fire extinguishers on board. I don't carry them because I see lots of fires to put out. I carry them because if I do see a fire, I'll have the equipment to deal with it.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #140

Sorry, guess I'm trying to.