Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkauffman101 View Post
I'm confused...grizzly bear don't call Texas home anymore...right?
We are in Wyoming, and they ( grizzly bears) are even in the wind river mountains now. My geologist friend who teaches up here said he had to stop going to Rams Horn cause the grizzlies were just so bad, " thick as thieves" he said, gulp. I'd rather swim with a great white than be within a hundred yards of a black or grizzly. Sorry for the thread drift, though if you come to this area it may be right on topic!

BTB Gauto- without sharing his story Mr D is no Dirt Hairy, just responsible gun owner.

Now Im getting outta here before I get in trouble, I'm a newbie I should know better than to play with the big kids on the gun thread

Cheers,
Erika

PS
We do have a bear up in the Basin of Big Bend, Texas :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Right eye or left eye dominance isn't always the same as right handed or left handed. Hold your hands in front of you and make a triangle. Focus on a distant object through the triangle with both eyes open. Close both eyes and open them one at a time. If the object is still in the triangle with your left open and right eye closed, you're left eye dominant. Vice versa for the right.

Yep... its my left. So doest that mean I should be lining it up with my left instead of trying to force my right?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #241

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why is it that those who carry, don't care if you carry or not. But those that don't carry have to get sarcastic and snotty, with those that do?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog

We are in Wyoming, and they ( grizzly bears) are even in the wind river mountains now. My geologist friend who teaches up here said he had to stop going to Rams Horn cause the grizzlies were just so bad, " thick as thieves" he said, gulp. I'd rather swim with a great white than be within a hundred yards of a black or grizzly. Sorry for the thread drift, though if you come to this area it may be right on topic!

BTB Gauto- without sharing his story Mr D is no Dirt Hairy, just responsible gun owner.

Now Im getting outta here before I get in trouble, I'm a newbie I should know better than to play with the big kids on the gun thread

Cheers,
Erika

PS
We do have a bear up in the Basin of Big Bend, Texas :-)
Thanks for the clarification. Here in PA we have a dense black bear population, but it's rare to hear of problems with them. I always carry, simply because I am not looking to be a rare statistic. Well that and we have these bath salt freaks running around.

I was confused because past studies had always referenced grizzlies in the far northern tier. Dangerous, yes...but not as much as people believe. A polar bear on the other hand...I'd avoid those for sure!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #243

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ga,,, That's a good question.....could it be that they feel more superior making them feel more secure in their thoughts and in their being? A protective bubble protecting their sphere of being? Good question

My thought has always been do what you have to do but don't bother me with your sad story and rain on my parade!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #244

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Why is it that those who carry, don't care if you carry or not. But those that don't carry have to get sarcastic and snotty, with those that do?
Hey, be careful with the generalities! I don't carry (or even own anything more powerful than a pellet gun that hasn't been fired in years), nor do I want to, and I feel everyone has the right to carry if they choose as long as they do so responsibly. I have seen posters take people like me to task for not having a gun.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #245

Monaco Owners Club
In another thread/forum asking about which engine was best this quote was used and is applicable here as well

Just because something DID happen previously, doesn't mean it WILL happen again... AND
just because something has not happened, does not mean it won't in the future...

So protect yourself as much as you think you need protecting -

hmmm, brings to mind another quote from the old motorcycle helmet 'discussions'
protect your head with what you think it's worth
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #246

Freightliner Owners Club
kat-nda-sand - Dominant eye

For tactical shooting, we were taught to keep both eyes open and let your dominant eye pick up the sight picture on it's own. By focusing on the target, you will still have peripheral vision, can see what moves behind the target and pick up anything or anyone coming into the field of fire.
I am right handed and left eye dominant. When I aim a handgun with the target in focus, I see two front sights slightly out of focus, but one lines up with the target. This is the sight picture from my left eye.

Some people never get the hang of keeping both eyes open, it does take practice but I've found it works well. And I seem to get on target faster.
FWIW, for longer range with a pistol, over 40-50 feet, I am more accurate with right eye closed.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #247

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LadyFitz... I would never generalize, I know that there are good and bad on both side of the fence.

JohnBoyToo

Quote:
Just because something DID happen previously, doesn't mean it WILL happen again... AND
just because something has not happened, does not mean it won't in the future...

So protect yourself as much as you think you need protecting -
Good thought............
Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #248

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Sounds like you couldn't wait to use it.
Don't know how you jumped to that conclusion since I didn't post the details here.

I didn't "use" it, but was prepared to. There are millions more "non use" of a handgun like my case, each year than actual use.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #249

The good thing about being in America is that we HAVE a choice.
If someone chooses NOT to have, or TO have, a firearm depending on their physical or mental capabilities, religious beliefs, or just do NOT want to take necessary precautions to keep a firearm, or keep it from those that shouldn't have one, can exercise their CHOICE! I do not want them to interfere with my choice. I will also say anyone around will not know if I am exercising my choice unless the situation requires it. I also believe proper training is essential just to handle a firearm. If you find one and don't know how to handle it, pretend it is a poisonous snake and call someone more qualified to take care of it, as it can kill you.

Personally, I'm always armed - with or without a weapon (you think gun or knife), as I am a Marine. Served during the first Gulf War to liberate Kuwait. That training is ALWAYS with me. I am willing to do what is necessary to protect my family. I will state, that after what I saw in war, I do not want to take a life - I will take other options the situation gives me, but if I don't see any other option.....

I was once told that carrying a weapon is similar to carrying insurance. If you survive the wreck, you will be glad to have insurance. Survive the initial attack, likewise. If you choose to be UN insured, be prepared for the aftermath.

Better to HAVE it and NEVER need it, than to need it and NOT have it! (insurance or gun)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #250

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
kat-nda-sand - Dominant eye

For tactical shooting, we were taught to keep both eyes open and let your dominant eye pick up the sight picture on it's own. By focusing on the target, you will still have peripheral vision, can see what moves behind the target and pick up anything or anyone coming into the field of fire.
I am right handed and left eye dominant. When I aim a handgun with the target in focus, I see two front sights slightly out of focus, but one lines up with the target. This is the sight picture from my left eye.

Some people never get the hang of keeping both eyes open, it does take practice but I've found it works well. And I seem to get on target faster.
FWIW, for longer range with a pistol, over 40-50 feet, I am more accurate with right eye closed.
I agree with everything that you said. I used to be an avid upland bird hunter when I was younger. Like yourself my left eye is my dominant one, and I am right handed.. I knew about keeping both eyes opened for all of the aforementioned benefits.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Don't know how you jumped to that conclusion since I didn't post the details here.

I didn't "use" it, but was prepared to. There are millions more "non use" of a handgun like my case, each year than actual use.
You didn't fire it or you didn't show it?
Your situation is your situation. I never said people shouldn't have them. It seems everytime I make a statement about not wanting a gun I get the "what if" or the "you're anti-gun" comment.
I'm not anti-gun, I just don't have a use for one. Sorry if that offends anyone.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #252

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
X2
Closed Thread