Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
The way I see it, if you are concerned about any state and their handgun laws, don't keep one with you.

Just remember. If you really have to use it, the Lawyers feels will probably bankrupt you. IE: Zimmerman.
1. I think anybody contemplating buying a gun should be concerned about laws....

&

2. You don't know if Zimmerman really needed to use it & neither do I, but I think that there was really no reason to put that in this thread, other than to

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #268

I guess I'd have to side with the armed camp here, though not so much for two legged predators and bears. As a surveyor, my usual office of the day is a swamp or overgrown woodland or farm field, and I quite often find myself staring down a feral dog or pig. My sidearm (Taurus 1911) has more than once saved me a trip to the hospital as a result of those kinds of attack. Don't get me wrong, I carry 95% of the time (some situations just aren't appropriate for carry), and I have had to rely on showing it on my side a couple times to help a bad guy decide standing down would be a more prudent decision, but those situations are very, very rare indeed.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #269

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Because the laws vary it's best to just not tell anyone. I have a lifetime concealed permit in my state and it is good for all of the states between here and Florida. Also, you are allowed to protect your home. It is a motorHOME. My Glock is very handy if needed.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #270

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurner1 View Post
...Also, you are allowed to protect your home. It is a motorHOME...
In 1985, in California vs Carney, the US Supreme Court ruled a motorhome is almost always a vehicle. This was a Fourth Amendment issue and of course the specifics of language are open to interpretation, but in the most general terms if the wheels are on it and it appears drivable then it's a vehicle.

"When a vehicle is being used on the highways or is capable of such use and is found stationary in a place not regularly used for residential purposes, the two justifications for the vehicle exception come into play. First, the vehicle is readily mobile, and, second, there is a reduced expectation of privacy stemming from the pervasive regulation of vehicles capable of traveling on highways."

Disclaimer: I am in no way advocating the above decision should or should not affect your choice of defensive options while in your RV.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #271

Freightliner Owners Club
Wheels were of little importance in the finding. The Motorhome was PARKED in a lot in downtown San Diego, not a place regularly used for residential purposes. and that led to the determination that the vehicle was readily mobile.
An Rv in an Rv park, connected to utilities is no longer readily mobile and would more likely be considered a residence.
In the same case study:--
Justice Stevens in his dissent stated:
"When a motor home is parked in a location that is removed from the public highway, I believe that society is prepared to recognize that the expectations of privacy within it are not unlike the expectations one has in a fixed dwelling. As a general rule, such places may only be searched with a warrant based upon probable cause. Warrantless searches of motor homes are only reasonable when the motor home is traveling on the public streets or highways."
(Does not mention the "Protected by Smith & Wesson sticker")
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #272

This seems to be the general idea when using castle doctrine law with an RV. If your in a campground , hooked up, it's pretty clear that your not going anywhere. If your parked @ Walmart for the night , that won't cut the mustard in some states if you try to use castle doctrine.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #273

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Wheels were of little importance in the finding...
Tongue in cheek...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #274

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
This seems to be the general idea when using castle doctrine law with an RV. If your in a campground , hooked up, it's pretty clear that your not going anywhere. If your parked @ Walmart for the night , that won't cut the mustard in some states if you try to use castle doctrine.
Some States have passed castle doctrine type laws, others have not. Generally, the idea behind these is that if you are where you are legally supposed to be (i.e. in your own sticks and brick house or inside your own RV) you do not have an obligation to try to retreat if something bad is about to go down. Not true in NJ. There, you must attempt to retreat regardless of where you are. I've personally never figured out where you could retreat to inside an RV. For me, it is another good reason not to part with any of my camping money inside NJ. We are planning a trip to the Poconos and will be staying in the Del Water Gap area. There are CGs on both sides of the PA/NJ border. Our money will stay in PA.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #275

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
NJ and NY have been known to lock up active police officers from other states who were carrying concealed in defiance to HR 218. The same holds true for retired Law enforcement too. Just recently a retired NYPD cop who moved out of state to Florida returned to NY for a visit. Since he was unable to provide a valid HR 218 permit, he was locked up by the very department he retired from. For those unaware of what HR 218 is, it is a permit all retired Law Enforcement are required to carry in addition to their retired Police I.D. which then allows them to carry concealed in all 50 States. Unfortunately, NY and NJ routinely disregard the federal ruling. My point in all this is to make everyone aware when traveling in the northeast, it might be best to avoid those states if you intend to be in possession of a firearm whether carrying or not.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #276

Castle Doctrine also applies when your in your car where I live.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #277

This information may be of some interest to some folks here. Others, perhaps not so much.

NRA-ILA | New Federal Report Shows Right-to-Carry Boom
Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #278

Newmar Owners Club
Grafxman, that was some good info there. Thanks for posting.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #279

Thanks 99-Am.star. I'm glad you found it interesting.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #280

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We're from Texas. 'Nuff said.
HAVING A GUN IN YOUR RV SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE....

HECK!!!

PEOPLE HERE IN TEXAS TAKE THEIR GUNS TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY.

Closed Thread