Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #281

Some in MO too

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #282

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpan View Post
HAVING A GUN IN YOUR RV SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE....

HECK!!!

PEOPLE HERE IN TEXAS TAKE THEIR GUNS TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY.
There are some interesting aspects of that:

- the original Texas laws regarding citizens carrying concealed handguns were passed in 1995, probably as a result of the Luby's shooting in 1991.
One of the universally restricted places in the original law was churches.
- in 1997, adjustments were made to allow churches to prohibit concealed carry the same way that businesses do - by a sign that complies with section 30.06 of the Texas Penal Code. The universal prohibition against carrying in church was removed at that time.
- unfortunately, many believe that the original church restrictions still apply which may be one of the reasons why a gunman was able to walk into the Wedgewood Baptist Church in September 1999 and take innocent lives unchallenged. This is contrast to Colorado church in 2007 where a gunman was stopped by Jeanne Assam, a concealed handgun carrier, before he could take lives there.

Shootings in churches in Garland and Arlington in 2010 and 2011 are a reminder that places of worship are not immune from those who would do harm to innocent people.

For RVers, there are still some interesting circumstances. While church carry is no longer prohibited, most of the lakes in Texas are restricted because they are owned or managed by the US Army Corp of Engineers. There are great campgrounds on Lake Whitney, Lakey Ray Roberts and others where it is a Federal offense to have a firearm. By contrast, all of the National parks have had their restrictions against concealed carry (except inside the buildings) removed. So you can drive to Yellowstone and carry concealed but cannot do at the CG on Lake Grapevine. It is likely to take a tragic incident at one of USACOE locations for that ban will be lifted.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #283

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. The question shouldn't be "are you armed..." but rather, "when aren't you armed?"

Never.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #284

Tiffin Owners Club
My thoughts on that

I don't carry anymore I used to have a concealed weapon lic. and I am a retired FLEO. I know how to use a lot of different weapons just don't want to. I have a motorhome I can drive off if I have to and I have several sprays for self defense to give me time to get away. I try to stay situationally aware and when in doubt I move out! I always keep the vehicle ready to roll and if I take a pedestal out in my haste I'll pay for it later.
Why? Even if you are right in your action even if your legal in your actions you will PAY A HIGH PRICE in legal fees and expenses to prove your case and the outcome is uncertain. I have no interest in finding out how fair, efficient or just a local justice system is by being involved in a shooting incident in some place where I am the outsider. I don't even want to be near someone who is involved or would be involved. I don't even want to know if you have a weapon; don't tell me about it; keep it to yourself! Don't involve me in any way shape or form. I don't want to be a party to any investigation, inquiry, deposition, statement or called as a witness before a court or Grand Jury or even talk about a case to an LEO! If I never, ever hear the words "All Rise This Court Is In Session" again it would be fine with me. I went RV'n to get away from all that-you want to get involved in that stuff go right ahead just stay away from me when you do. Just My Humble Opinion Your Milage May Vary!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #285

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
HAVING A GUN IN YOUR RV SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE....

HECK!!!

PEOPLE HERE IN TEXAS TAKE THEIR GUNS TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY.
We do it too in Washington!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #286

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I don't carry anymore I used to have a concealed weapon lic. and I am a retired FLEO. I know how to use a lot of different weapons just don't want to. I have a motorhome I can drive off if I have to and I have several sprays for self defense to give me time to get away. I try to stay situationally aware and when in doubt I move out! I always keep the vehicle ready to roll and if I take a pedestal out in my haste I'll pay for it later.
Why? Even if you are right in your action even if your legal in your actions you will PAY A HIGH PRICE in legal fees and expenses to prove your case and the outcome is uncertain. I have no interest in finding out how fair, efficient or just a local justice system is by being involved in a shooting incident in some place where I am the outsider. I don't even want to be near someone who is involved or would be involved. I don't even want to know if you have a weapon; don't tell me about it; keep it to yourself! Don't involve me in any way shape or form. I don't want to be a party to any investigation, inquiry, deposition, statement or called as a witness before a court or Grand Jury or even talk about a case to an LEO! If I never, ever hear the words "All Rise This Court Is In Session" again it would be fine with me. I went RV'n to get away from all that-you want to get involved in that stuff go right ahead just stay away from me when you do. Just My Humble Opinion Your Milage May Vary!
Since it appears you're in Mexico you don't really have a choice since the general population is prohibited from owning anything larger than a .22.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #287

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post

What's the old saying?

"I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Here in TEXAS and many other states, CHL owners can subscribe to "Texas Law Shield" in which you have retaining lawyers to defend you and your rights as well as legal fees if you were to have a confrontation with your firearm.
Very affordable too!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My brother and I were raised with firearms in the house and one was always loaded. Need a shotgun to keep the varmits out of the chicken house. I had BB gun at 6 years old, a .22 when I was 9 and deer rifle when was 12.. We were raised with firearm safety being first and foremost. Firearms were a tool and not a toy. Too many people have no idea of what a firearm is capable of. You have to teach firearm respect and responsibility from a young age.

Ken
2X. Being brought up in TN I was hunting deer at 7 years old. One look at what a 30-6 will do to a deer or what a 12 gauge will do to a bird and a kid will never think of "playing around" with a real gun. Learning gun safety early on will give them respect for a gun. Growing up we all carried knives and we all got into fights. Never did anyone pull out the knife because we knew better.

I carry my 38 concealed when there is a chance of danger and have one in my RV. I hope I never have to use it but if it comes down to me or them I will. I do believe that AR-15's and assault weapons should not be sold. No one needs them except to kill people.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I carry my 38 concealed when there is a chance of danger and have one in my RV. I hope I never have to use it but if it comes down to me or them I will. I do believe that AR-15's and assault weapons should not be sold. No one needs them except to kill people.
Hate to burst your bubble and don't wanna get OT, but I can make you just as dead with a .22LR as I can with one of my 5 AR-15s, which I use for a variety of purposes, none of which involve killing people.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #290

Tiffin Owners Club
Your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Since it appears you're in Mexico you don't really have a choice since the general population is prohibited from owning anything larger than a .22.
As a guest here I cannot have a weapon unless it is okayed by a very complicated procedure where the local Army Comondante has approving authority and usually that is in the case of visiting for the purpose of competition or hunting neither of which I have any interest.

I am not always in Mexico I travel all over mostly the western U.S and now and then to the East Coast. Still I don't want to be involved in any act that would bring me into a legal wrangle with a firearm, it just isn't worth it. Even if your innocent as can be YOU aren't going anywhere until the Justice System says you can!!! You may have to post bond and the court can say you can't leave the county or the state! The court system moves slowly, very slowly you could be stuck there at your expense for months even a year or more until the case is resolved. Can you afford that ? And while your involved in this court case other things in your life are effected some with serious consequences and even after it is resolved it never, ever leaves you!!
I've seen what can happen and it at pretty.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #291

Quote:
I do believe that AR-15's and assault weapons should not be sold. No one needs them except to kill people.
This thread has been remarkably politics free. Hope this comment goes nowhere.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #292

Tiffin Owners Club
We used to use the 12x6 too!

Quote:
What's the old saying?

"I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Here in TEXAS and many other states, CHL owners can subscribe to "Texas Law Shield" in which you have retaining lawyers to defend you and your rights as well as legal fees if you were to have a confrontation with your firearm.
Very affordable too!!!
I lived in Texas and that deal is fine as long as you are in Texas ! Doesn't mean you won't have some serious consequences though and courts take their sweet time about resolving cases. And if you cross the state line for-get-about-it ! And if you are in LA,MS, AL and you come from out of state and shoot somebody ... well good luck and I hope you don't have CA plates on your rig! You come up before a local Judge for shooting one of his neighbors or friend of his 'ol school buddy and I hope you have lots of money to pay for a spirited legal defense in the mean time you may have to post bond hire a lawyer be restricted to the county or state and on and on it goes.

All this brave talk about what you can do and what you would do yadda yadda just sit in a local rural court room some day and watch what goes on. There are no smiling faces (except for the lawyers) just seriously worried looks and you can tell the ones that don't come from there very easily. The shocked look of dismay on their faces when the judge lays the rulings on them is tough to take as they realize they are in deep you know what and sink'n. They may win their case, but it's going to cost them .... a lot. As the kids say "Just Say'n". I've made my decision you make yours.

Im getting off my soapbox now I'm getting a little dizzy up here and I'm going to have some adult legal refreshment and forget about this conversation for a while. Bye
Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #293

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have stated on these forums many times before, that I don't care if you carry or not. I would like to point out to the "call 911" folks, that the police were all around the theater for crowd control. He was still able to shoot everyone and leave the building. According to what I read he went and stood by his car until the police located him. I wonder what would have happened if someone in the theater had been armed. Yes I know he had body armor on, but he had a gas mask on and one head shot would do it.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #294

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have stated on these forums many times before, that I don't care if you carry or not. I would like to point out to the "call 911" folks, that the police were all around the theater for crowd control. He was still able to shoot everyone and leave the building. According to what I read he went and stood by his car until the police located him. I wonder what would have happened if someone in the theater had been armed. Yes I know he had body armor on, but he had a gas mask on and one head shot would do it.
The problem with that logic is to expect an armed civilian to pull off a head shot under extreme stress is next to impossible. The best Police Officer would barely be able to achieve a head shot while being fired at. I am not sure I would have been able to pull off that shot under duress and throughout my law enforcement career I was considered a pistol expert shot.

Closed Thread